Why Do Great Footba...

Notifications
Clear all

Why Do Great Football Areas Produce Poor College Teams?

Page 3 / 5

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

When we did our tour of Colorado School of Mines- that was the consensus. Boulder is well known for that, but it's only recent that it has become legal is my understanding. 

Not sure that it's not a sign of the times. I have a friend connected to the Oregon program and they told me they have the very same issues there. Over 50% of the team tested out positive at one juncture.

As fanatical as the Bronco fans are along with HS and youth ball- I thought the Buffs were going to be a long term power. Especially once they got Hawkins.

LOL

My Daughter is a CU Grad and still to this day has never smoked pot. But she graduated in worse shape than ever....she came out of there as a Democrat. 10 years later I am still deprogramming her.  😀

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

When posting back and forth with Mike M about the NFL and local cultures and how it affects how you watch football- I wondered- Why do some great football areas produce consistently poor college football teams?

I get to travel all over doing clinics and working with teams in areas where youth football and High School football is very popular with great numbers, HUGE population bases, good quality football but terrible college football. Any ideas on why that may be?

I was in Southern Illinois doing a clinic last week and the guys there were whining about how bad Illinois was.

Isn't that interesting -- whining about U of I, no mention of SIU?

And I think that's the reason: U of I stinks because they can.  The fans care no matter how bad they are.  Same with Rutgers.  SIU might actually have to work for att'n.

ReplyQuote
flosman
(@flosman)
Silver

For the size of our state yes some of the best on the country. So what does Maryland football have to do with NJ?

I think Maryland football and New Jersey football are similar. A few schools that run very good programs and a whole lot of less than good programs. Most of the best programs are private schools, i.e. all star teams. I have been involved with football in the Mid Atlantic, Florida and Alabama and the HS football in the south is completely different and of a MUCH higher quality. Just my experience on the field.

ReplyQuote
flosman
(@flosman)
Silver

F

Curious...from an NFL standpoint. If what you say is true then why do the Redskins rule and all Florida teams drool when it comes to their fan base? Florida seems to be a serious Football hotbed yet the NFL has a hard time filling up their Stadiums unless the Team is doing well. Yet when the Redskins stink....they still sell out every game? And with DS at the helm... those Tickets don't come cheap. 

You could also say the same thing about the Ravens.

I was speaking to HS football. I really don't care much about NFL football so I guess I fit in in Florida. I guess I am still a casual Redskins fan because of growing up in Maryland. What I know about the Raven is that they are not the Colts the team I really followed when I was young. The Redskins were my other team and I really liked then when Gibbs was there because I thought he was just a great coach.

ReplyQuote
flosman
(@flosman)
Silver

BTW, hs football is not greatly attended down here believe it or not. I remember in NJ the hs games were wall to wall people, a few thousand each game. NJ hs ball is pretty good but with the raping of the public schools by the private schools it is becoming more of a few team show every year. One of those schools, Don Bosco Prep(national power house btw), will play one of our local hs this upcoming season.

This is not true in a lot of the state. there are still huge crowds in most of the small towns in Florida and the games in the panhandle are very well attended.  We usually have several games that have 8 to 10 K in the stands every year.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Isn't that interesting -- whining about U of I, no mention of SIU?

And I think that's the reason: U of I stinks because they can.  The fans care no matter how bad they are.  Same with Rutgers.  SIU might actually have to work for att'n.

Bob

We have several Good Teams in Illinois: Eastern, Western, Northern. Illinois State, Southern, and Northwestern.  U of I has a hard time competing for "Top Talent" because they are looking for Tier 1 recruits.  Hard to compete with Florida and California as far a weather is concerned.  Also hard to compete with other Big 10 Programs.  OSU, UM, UW for the rest of the kids.  Add the fact that U of I has had several Headers in the past few years it makes it hard to attract kids. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

This is not true in a lot of the state. there are still huge crowds in most of the small towns in Florida and the games in the panhandle are very well attended.  We usually have several games that have 8 to 10 K in the stands every year.

That is what I have heard about the panhandle. Many of the local games and teams to the south are poorly attended. Some of them are very good programs. That is not to say that all the local programs are not attended. A great game to watch is the Muck Bowl between Belle Glades and Pahokee. Those 2 small towns have a good amount of states titles between them and are d1 and NFL producing machines.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

We have several Good Teams in Illinois: Eastern, Western, Northern. Illinois State, Southern, and Northwestern.

I know, but I mentioned SIU because DC said he was in southern Ill. when he overheard those conversations.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I was speaking to HS football. I really don't care much about NFL football so I guess I fit in in Florida. I guess I am still a casual Redskins fan because of growing up in Maryland. What I know about the Raven is that they are not the Colts the team I really followed when I was young. The Redskins were my other team and I really liked then when Gibbs was there because I thought he was just a great coach.

F

So I take it you are no fan of the Irsay's.  >:(

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
Topic starter  

It varies

Rick Darlington at Apopka- 8A largest class- they have been consistently successful and are from an area where the community values the game
However in the game films he's given me- they rarely draw more than 2,000, that shocked me.
Apopka vs Wekiva | Week 3 | 2013

It varies by community
When I was a senior in HS in Nebraska- our opening weekend drew about 11,000- #1 vs #2 preseason
Now- that team rarely draws more than 2,000

Times have changed in many areas
One HS rivalry game I used to go to always was standing room only- drawing 8-9,000
Now that same game rarely draws more than 4,000, they don't even get the majority of the student body
In contrast- I went to a very small class game 2 years ago about 90 minutes from me- Catholic school- the whole town was shut down- tiny stadium was jammed.
One HS team here- had every male in the school, on the team.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

DC

I coach in Florida, you know this. Apopka has a population of 42k That area feeds 3 HS's, APK taking the Lion's share. Pun intended. They get great community support, 2k-4k for a non rival, non district game is a very nice crowd. I believe their field will sit almost 6k, & I know for the playoffs the are packed. Coach Darlington has done a great job with this, if you break the numbers down it's a great turnout.

Lake Mary has 12k population, we also get students from a few other area's, we see roughly the same crowds. Our big rival game last year we saw 7k Our Playoff games were just over 4k.

APK has an enrollment of 3665 students, LMHS has 2594, either of us drawing over 4k I think we are doing pretty well. When we played in Jacksonville about 10 years ago we saw a crowd of 12k. I know for APK's state championship last year the crowd was around 15k. The year before it was even larger although I am not sure of the exact number.

On any given Friday night there is a HS football game within a 7 minute ride from either school. We are also 20-30 minutes from Downtown Orlando. It's not like being in Duncan SC, where the entire town shuts down for a game. I'm sure when you where in Omaha the turnouts where less then where you are now.

That being said, we played our Spring game last night, it was a double header. I think there was more people on the sidelines then in the stands. We had over 15 D1 coaches on the sidelines, & probably less then 1k in the stands & that was for 4 schools.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

One of our local high schools, an 8a school, draws(and I am not kidding) maybe 200 people on the home side. Almost all parents. Then you drive 15 minutes down the road and another 8a draws decent to great crowds depending on the opponent. The town I live in does not support their youth in any way, shape or form, no matter the age level or sport.

ReplyQuote
WBCoach
(@rstockwell)
Bronze

One of our local high schools, an 8a school, draws(and I am not kidding) maybe 200 people on the home side. Almost all parents. Then you drive 15 minutes down the road and another 8a draws decent to great crowds depending on the opponent. The town I live in does not support their youth in any way, shape or form, no matter the age level or sport.

That's a shame. Is it because of the area or do they genuinely not give a dam?

Team work: good as gold

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Some of the schools have very little school spirit which is infectious to the whole community. This is a weird area. Nobody is from here so there is little sense of community. The community to the north of us is less of a transient community and school spirit is great. It seems our local government doesn't even know that there are kids who live in this town.  🙁

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum

Some of the schools have very little school spirit which is infectious to the whole community. This is a weird area. Nobody is from here so there is little sense of community. The community to the north of us is less of a transient community and school spirit is great. It seems our local government doesn't even know that there are kids who live in this town.  🙁

Check "OUT OF STATE RECRUITING".  Many of the GREAT college programs survive on out of state recruiting.

Just for ONE example - the state of Alabama has NO WHERE NEAR the number of great HS athletes that Florida does, but Bama will BEAT Florida colleges most of the time (FSU over Auburn = an exception).

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5
Share: