Why do I engage the...

Notifications
Clear all

Why do I engage these people?

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

So over in another thread...I was rightfully chastised for saying something stupid to another coach before a game...and one of you said "I swear I don't know why you engage these people" 🙂 This is referring to an opposing coach who I engaged in a conversation prior to our game on Saturday...and with good intentions I insulted this dude...did I say that right? I wasn't trying to insult him...sometimes I am just dumb 🙂

And I know I am taking it out of context...but I don't mind...hopefully the other poster doesn't mind either...I just thought it might make for some good conversation about what we do, why we do it and how we get better at it...

Short answer...I engage these guys, because you guys engaged me...and made me a better coach...and if I am not coaching for my own ego...then I should engage them...because at the end of the day, we are the ambassadors for this sport...if we can't make each other better, then the game is in trouble. We have all read the posts about playing talented teams with terrible coaching...if we can help, shouldn't we?

The coach I insulted has talked with me many times leading into the season and since the season has started...and we have talked about how we do things..."how do you do this?" or "what are you doing to teach that?" type of things...and when I began explaining some of what we do he said things like "training assassins at 8?" in reference to how we train our OLB's or "You have drills called Circle of Death? 10 Yard Fight? Fight Club? What are you doing over there?" After his team got thumped after week 1 he said...maybe I should rent you for a week..my reply was "My rent was cheap" and left it there...figuring if he really wanted my help, he would really ask for it. And even if he is an opposing coach, I think I should help...because it might be good for his boys, which would be good for his team, which would be good for our league, etc...

I dunno...maybe it is just me ego talking 😉 I hope not though...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

Absolutely help him out if you can, it will make both of your teams better.

Here's an anecdote from my season that explains why I think this. In our city, we had 28 players, so the rec split us up into two teams. With only 14 players a side, it was hard to run the entire offense against anything other than air. Before our first game, the other team asked if we wanted to scrimmage to get us ready for the type of speed we would play Saturday. The scrimmage not only helped us get acclimated to the speed (we're VERY slow), it also helped his team get used to play against size. At the end of the evening, we exchanged notes on what we saw.

I feel like it made both teams better. We played them last night and won 7-6. It was a great game that was literally decided by one yard (we stopped them short on the extra point).

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

I just now read the post so I understand the context.

Looking at it from that point of view, I get where everyone is coming from. I don't typically talk to the other coaches until after the game, which is hard for me, because most of them are my friends or people I coach with in another sport.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

one of you said "I swear I don't know why you engage these people"

--Yeah.  It was me.

And I know I am taking it out of context...but I don't mind...hopefully the other poster doesn't mind either.

--Nope.  Go right ahead.

Short answer...I engage these guys, because you guys engaged me...and made me a better coach.

--But you want to learn, Chris.  Not everyone does.  Check that: Most people don't.  It involves work and self-reflection.  Ugly people don't like looking into a mirror.

We have all read the posts about playing talented teams with terrible coaching...if we can help, shouldn't we?

--Absolutely.  But most coaches think it's about "talent," not coaching.

You have drills called Circle of Death? 10 Yard Fight? Fight Club? What are you doing over there?"

--Yeah, Chris.  What are you?  Some sort of crazed mad man?  (By the way, Calande named "10 Yard Fight."  That's his drill.)

After his team got thumped after week 1 he said...maybe I should rent you for a week..my reply was "My rent was cheap" and left it there...figuring if he really wanted my help, he would really ask for it.

--He will.  But only if he really wants it.  The fact is, he didn't and hasn't.  What does that tell you?

And even if he is an opposing coach, I think I should help...because it might be good for his boys, which would be good for his team, which would be good for our league, etc.

--I've done that.  In season.  With opponents in our conference.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

I have learned to not bother to talk to the opposing coaching staff at all prior to the game.  I have coached against guys that I have coached with for years and I follow that rule no matter the case (be it friend or stranger).  You just never know what it is that you say (with good intention) that will be taken out of context.  I step on the field I always assume the team we are opposing is a championship caliber team and this is a championship game.  Even if I know they are a crappy team...I do that because I want the expectation I set for our team to always be high.  We can control the score when we need to by sitting on the snap, running low Yards Per Play plays and such.  I am never going to openly tell my kids to run out of bounds or fall down or dial it down.  I will just manage it by turning it into a practice at some point.  Subbing in players that need work.  Working on 2 minute and 1 minute (working on getting the ball out of bounds as soon as you get positive yards/first down.  I do this so I don't tell the kids to "dial it down". 

I have had opposing coaches post game do all sorts of crazy things...ego/self image is a crazy thing.  In 29 years of coaching I have had four coaches come up to me after a game and ask for advice or help.  In all four cases I helped...in two cases I still talk to those guys to this day (one is on this forum).  In 29 years of coaching I have offered about a dozen coaches to assist them in post game and 2 of them took me up on it....6 of them never bothered to take me up on it but we had good relationship afterwards and the rest took it as insult.  I just don't bother to offer any longer...  The simple truth is if you have to offer they probably don't recognize they need the help and are not going to be receptive to it.  The ones that do ask for help have taken the time to self assess and realize they need the help.  The ones that ask are open to your advice... The ones you ask are not open and it is not worth the headache (my opinion) in prying them open to help them.  Sometimes you have to go through life getting your ass kicked until you realize there is a better way to do something 🙂

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Sometimes you have to go through life getting your ass kicked until you realize there is a better way to do something 🙂

Jack

;D

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

Sometimes you have to go through life getting your ass kicked until you realize there is a better way to do something 🙂

And this was me before I asked for help...and even after I asked...I still got my ass kicked some 😛

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Share: