Clear all

Why I Dont Recuit

Page 5 / 6

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Mike

Correct me where I made the mistake
I thought when you guys moved from A to B- you had a season where you went 5-5 and lost in round 1 of the playoffs to go 5-6?
Then you lost about half your kids after that season and moved back down to B
If that is wrong- I apologize, I thought that is how it worked out for you with your last team

No worries

The worst this team ever did was 5-3 and one and done in the playoffs. Happened 3 seasons. The other 3 seasons we made it to the Championship game. We dont play a 10 game regular season.

Funny thing is....when all those traitors left to play round ball sports by Rule we became a new team and were supposed to play D3 but they wouldn't let me so D2 it was.

Personally I really liked coaching in D3. Did it for two seasons with a new 7th and 8th grade team. Its way more casual. D1 is too insane. Win at all costs. Im not a fan of classifying kids but that ship has sailed.  I enjoyed the days went all teams played in one Division.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

That's it, in a nutshell.  Regardless of how you build your team, if it's by the rules and morally sound, then no one should object.  More specifically, every youth league has it's own set of rules and particulars that you need to pay mind to.  Even Pop Warner conferences build teams differently from one another.  Some conferences have criteria for each division, other conferences have no criteria at all.  With what is and isn't allowed being so different from rec to rec and state to state, comparing ways of operation is like comparing apples to doorknobs.  And if a conference allows its teams to recruit, then you'd be dumb not to.  And for anyone who thinks recruiting is a dirty word, it's only dirty when it's illegal and even then you'd have to specify what defines "recruiting."

--Dave

What irritates me is recruiting is a dirty word because so few know or bother following the Rules.

Recruiting is perfectly legal in my League and encouraged because it brings in more players that have never played. But you cant poach players from other teams in the League...anywhere.

Its a really simple Rule that goes bad quite often.

Idiot coach coaches baseball in the spring and Team A football in the Fall.

Idiot coach "recruits" baseball players from Fall football Teams B, C and D that play on his baseball team.

Football Orgs says no way come Draft Day and recruited parents are pissed.

Thats 100% on the Org. I call it a self inflicted wound because they dont train their coaches on the Rules.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

My old org really discouraged coaches recruiting players. Players wanted to play for the coach that got them to sign up and they didn't like that so they kinda squashed it. So much to the point that coaches don't really do it anymore. In fact, the recruiting effort for the association is really not much more than a few signs put up at street corners a few weeks before sign ups. Numbers have flat out crashed. I honestly don't know how they make ends meet anymore but this is an issue they created.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

My old org really discouraged coaches recruiting players. Players wanted to play for the coach that got them to sign up and they didn't like that so they kinda squashed it. So much to the point that coaches don't really do it anymore. In fact, the recruiting effort for the association is really not much more than a few signs put up at street corners a few weeks before sign ups. Numbers have flat out crashed. I honestly don't know how they make ends meet anymore but this is an issue they created.

Numbers have certainly gone down around here.

I am taking a new second grade team in 2018. There will only be 2 most likely so I threw my name in the hat for approval mid season last Fall. I went back and checked the last time I coached second grade in 2010. My Org fielded 5 second grade teams back then.

The Org I coached in before my current Org is the second largest in the League. They did not field a second grade team in 2017. That is shocking too me.

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

Numbers have certainly gone down around here.

I am taking a new second grade team in 2018. There will only be 2 most likely so I threw my name in the hat for approval mid season last Fall. I went back and checked the last time I coached second grade in 2010. My Org fielded 5 second grade teams back then.

The Org I coached in before my current Org is the second largest in the League. They did not field a second grade team in 2017. That is shocking too me.

It may not be related but we fielded 3 Mitey Mite teams last year... 🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

My former youth org once had 13 teams.  Last year they only had 5.  They used to win, year in and year out.  Now they don't.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

It may not be related but we fielded 3 Mitey Mite teams last year... 🙂

Sounds related too me.  8)

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

My former youth org once had 13 teams.  Last year they only had 5.  They used to win, year in and year out.  Now they don't.

--Dave

My son was the FB Dictator for one of our Orgs back in the day. I came across some his old files from 2005. There were nearly 400 teams in our League that year. Now its down to about 225.

Its real. This sport is dying.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

--Dave

We used to field from 13 - 16. Now they field 6 or 7 if they are lucky and none of them are any good the last few years. Well, the team I coached on in 2015 was decent but certainly not good in my mind. The conference was just weak that year at our age. We made it to the 3rd round of regionals though so who knows.

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze

Well, although I don't doubt that Dave doesn't recruit "individual" kids, he probably does more "recruiting" than most orgs.  And I see nothing wrong with that.  I recruit often - sometimes an individual kid, sometimes a bunch of kids.  I am constantly recruiting because I want kids to experience the magic of football. 

As far as getting a kid who thinks he is god's gift or whose parents feel that - you will always get those kids on occasion.  If I know before hand a kid is that way - I will stay away from recruiting them.  I've lost kids because I don't highlight them - which is good because the last I heard, football is a team sport - more than any other sport. 

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Do the Lakers really want to have to put up with this guy and his drama just so his son can play on the team?
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21991857/lavar-ball-says-los-angeles-lakers-coach-luke-walton-lost-team

""That's a good team," he added of the Lakers, who have lost nine straight games. "Nobody wants to play for him. I can see it. No high-fives when they come out of the game. People don't know why they're in the game. He's too young. He's too young. ... He ain't connecting with them anymore. You can look at every player, he's not connecting with not one player."

LaVar Ball has had issues with his sons' coaches the past few years and even pulled LaMelo from Chino Hills High prior to the start of the season because of problems with first-year coach Dennis Latimore."

How could LA have ever saw this coming ??  ::) ::)

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Do the Lakers really want to have to put up with this guy and his drama just so his son can play on the team?
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21991857/lavar-ball-says-los-angeles-lakers-coach-luke-walton-lost-team

""That's a good team," he added of the Lakers, who have lost nine straight games. "Nobody wants to play for him. I can see it. No high-fives when they come out of the game. People don't know why they're in the game. He's too young. He's too young. ... He ain't connecting with them anymore. You can look at every player, he's not connecting with not one player."

LaVar Ball has had issues with his sons' coaches the past few years and even pulled LaMelo from Chino Hills High prior to the start of the season because of problems with first-year coach Dennis Latimore."

How could LA have ever saw this coming ??  ::) ::)

at some point he will be the new Colin Kaepernick...and be treated like Kaepernick as well

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

Remove the sports element from the equation and envision this as another work place. As an employer myself......I can't imagine a scenario where I would have to deal with the parent of an employee. 

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

Remove the sports element from the equation and envision this as another work place. As an employer myself......I can't imagine a scenario where I would have to deal with the parent of an employee.

Watch any professional sports game and you will see scenarios that would never fly in another work place. How long would Dez Bryant have a job if he were "Dez in AP." Professional sports are a different animal, no sense comparing.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Not as uncommon as you think.  Seriously.  I had to deal with a parent back in 2001.  And there was a period of time - late 00's - where the helicopter shit got crazy.

Not so much anymore, pendulum has swung back a bit.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6
Share: