Why I Dont Recuit

Notifications
Clear all

Why I Dont Recuit

Page 6 / 6

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Remove the sports element from the equation and envision this as another work place. As an employer myself......I can't imagine a scenario where I would have to deal with the parent of an employee.

Not a parent, but a sister. I've been a DoD contractor for the same customer for going on 20 years. In one of my brief managerial stints, I put a guy on a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan). He refused to sign it, refused to say why, and refused to provide any feedback toward an agreement that he would sign. So I sent him home until he was ready to sign one. His lawyer sister showed up the next day to try to "negotiate" his return to work. Signing any "Improvement Plan" was not on the negotiating table. I'm pretty sure the guy was older than me by 5-10 years.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

Not as uncommon as you think.  Seriously.  I had to deal with a parent back in 2001.  And there was a period of time - late 00's - where the helicopter shit got crazy.

Not so much anymore, pendulum has swung back a bit.

I suppose you could "choose" to deal with the parent of any employee....I don't know why you would....barring extenuating circumstances. By extenuating, I mean like a special needs employee but especially whiney doesn't fall into that category. No manager or owner has any legal obligation to discuss or deal with any third party unless the third party has been appointed a personal representative of the employee.

You think the helicopter shit has tempered? I haven't seen any tempering of that shit. I think parents are worse now than ever.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

I suppose you could "choose" to deal with the parent of any employee....I don't know why you would....barring extenuating circumstances. By extenuating, I mean like a special needs employee but especially whiney doesn't fall into that category. No manager or owner has any legal obligation to discuss or deal with any third party unless the third party has been appointed a personal representative of the employee.

You think the helicopter shit has tempered? I haven't seen any tempering of that shit. I think parents are worse now than ever.

you can keep your kid on your insurance until they 26? You think that only applies to insurance???

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
Topic starter  

My days of being an employer more or less ended in the late 90s
Then a 2 year stint ending in 2002

Never had anyone try and have anyone speak for them
Even in the heady days of IT
When there were worker shortages
I refused to hire whimps

If anyone would have had mom or sister do their bidding I would have made sure their employment ended on the spot

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

The interesting thing about Lavar Ball is that what he's done has worked. He got one kid to the NBA, 2 others into UCLA (the middle one didn't make it on merit). Now he took the other 2 boys to Lithuania, where their family company (BBB) got branded onto the courts, & the refs wore the BBB gear.

Considering everything going on in America, it's kinda hard to blame someone for using the belligerent idiot approach to success. I don't know why, but it is very clear, there is a very clear path to success if you're just loud, obnoxious, and have virtually zero self awareness. I think Lavar Ball is just another sign of where our culture is headed.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

The interesting thing about Lavar Ball is that what he's done has worked. He got one kid to the NBA, 2 others into UCLA (the middle one didn't make it on merit). Now he took the other 2 boys to Lithuania, where their family company (BBB) got branded onto the courts, & the refs wore the BBB gear.

Considering everything going on in America, it's kinda hard to blame someone for using the belligerent idiot approach to success. I don't know why, but it is very clear, there is a very clear path to success if you're just loud, obnoxious, and have virtually zero self awareness. I think Lavar Ball is just another sign of where our culture is headed.

where our culture is headed or at?

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

where our culture is headed or at?

The latter probably, I don't know.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

My ex wife's son's friends had parents go to their work and complain to the employer pretty regularly. Pretty sure it ended with termination every time. My ex wanted to once but I stopped her. Raising children was something that we did not see eye to eye on. In fact we were in different universes.

The Lakers deserve this crap for drafting him. The top 4 in the draft were considered to be about equal. I think they thought the publicity would be good for business. And let's be serious here, the business of pro sports has little to do with sports. So maybe this is exactly what they were wanting. There is simply no way this is not what they expected.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Didn't/don't "choose to".  In fact, won't discuss an employee with anyone who isn't that employee.

But yes - it's happening far less than it used to.  I've been involved in hiring recent grads in a couple of different industries for the past 18 years, and parents are less intrusive now than they were then.

The 2001 situation was my first, and it was pretty...interesting.  Dad wanted to work with the kid, but the reports from the line I got were that Dad was a dick and the kid reacted negatively to him being there.  So I told Dad no, he wasn't hired.  He pushed, so I told him why - that he wasn't being hired because he was an asshole and his presence impaired the team's performance.  He wasn't happy, LOL.  In mid-yelling at me, I pretty much said "and this right here is exactly why I am not hiring you, you're being an asshole now".  Ooh, he REALLY didn't like that.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

Didn't/don't "choose to".  In fact, won't discuss an employee with anyone who isn't that employee.

But yes - it's happening far less than it used to.  I've been involved in hiring recent grads in a couple of different industries for the past 18 years, and parents are less intrusive now than they were then.

The 2001 situation was my first, and it was pretty...interesting.  Dad wanted to work with the kid, but the reports from the line I got were that Dad was a dick and the kid reacted negatively to him being there.  So I told Dad no, he wasn't hired.  He pushed, so I told him why - that he wasn't being hired because he was an asshole and his presence impaired the team's performance.  He wasn't happy, LOL.  In mid-yelling at me, I pretty much said "and this right here is exactly why I am not hiring you, you're being an asshole now".  Ooh, he REALLY didn't like that.

That sounds like dad and kid were both, or at least wanted to both be working for you....that's a little different than a dad (who has no affiliation with his son's employer) calling his son's employer and making demands.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Never had that happen, and don't know anyone personally in my HR network that's had that happen.  I've heard of it via articles/stories, but no personal/networking experience with it.

Used to run HR for a social services org, a residential program for abused adolescent girls.  VERY tough place to work.  We ran a group information session followed by tours and interviews.  We had a few parents of candidates want to attend the info session and go on the tour, we declined.  NO WAY would Daddy okay his little girl working at our facility, LOL.

I've had some funny interactions with new grads who were obviously getting advice from parents, but that's not really being intrusive the way we're talking.

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 6
Share: