Notifications

Why I'm a better coach than you are.  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 1, 2020 4:00 pm  

Yeah it's a click-bait subject line...but I'd like to hear why you're a better coach than the other coaches you encounter.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 1, 2020 4:35 pm  

Experience. Nothing more, nothing less. I have already made all the stupid mistakes one can make....twice.... but I still pick up plenty of nuggets from others to this day. 

But I am wearing down. Coaching is truly a younger mans thing. Im getting close to hanging up the old whistle. The common mistakes I make now is my inability to show the players what I need during practice. After one practice of showing them route running, for example....I need medication 😎 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

spidermac liked
ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
September 1, 2020 4:40 pm  
Posted by: @mahonz

After one practice of showing them route running, for example....I need medication  

We never practice route running so I will probably be able to coach for a long time still. 

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 1, 2020 6:40 pm  

Experience (not as much as mahonz bc he was around for the installment of the penalty flag). My experience as a former player youth- college and league admin really sets me apart from the ordinary dad coach.  However there have been dad coaches who have beaten my team due to something I lacked early on in my coaching career is patience. Patience to trust the process and patience in game. 

End of the day my guys have a good experience and evolved as people. That I attribute to a lot of contributors on this forum. With out this forum I would've never kept coaching. So thank you!

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

Seth54, Prodigy, mahonz and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
September 1, 2020 8:54 pm  

I'm a better Coach than you for for having encountered and learned from better Coaches than me.  Pretty Simple.     

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

spidermac, tiger46, mahonz and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 1, 2020 8:57 pm  

I think the amount of time and effort I'm willing to put in to gain an advantage. I'll analyze what I'm trying to do from every angle multiple times. I'll scout you against multiple opponents. I'll study what you are trying to do, how you do it, why you succeed and how you fail. Then I'll spend more time and effort figuring out the best way to teach it to my players.

And there's the experience thing. I haven't been on a football field since last October. Then last night, I watched 2 offensive plays and realized their back side DE was ripe for the picking. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

JustPlay, mahonz, Prodigy and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
COACHDT
(@hawk2018)
Copper
September 1, 2020 9:25 pm  

Because my wife yells at me more than anyone else’s for watching clinics and reading through conversations on here.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
September 2, 2020 9:25 am  

What makes me better than the guys I coach against in this league... ?   

Likely a combination of things.

#1.   Probably, study.  I've given away most of my football library over the yrs and still have close to 2 dozen on my shelves, was a regular clinic attender the 1st sixteen yrs I coached - usually 2 a yr for football - plus some camps.  Resumed going to clinics again 5 yrs ago (I'd been out of the game for 10 yrs, still getting caught up) 

#2.  Conviction.  Having coached under several Head Coaches, was exposed to multiple systems, practice styles and etc.   Found things I liked and disliked under all of them, kept the stuff I really liked...  Defensively =  the split 4-4 (Our HC is also the DC and he believes in a 6-5 for our level and runs it well).  Offensively  = the Wing T.   Likely one of the things that make me better than the guys I coach against, is I believe in what we run and seek to perfect it, to master it, and not bouncing from one thing to the other every couple yrs. 

#3.  Practice better.   Picked up a lot of 'skills and drills' over the yrs.  Maybe this is our biggest edge at present...  we practice better than anyone else.  The H.S. head coach has been around quite a bit, (I've spent hours picking his mind - he played at Air Force under Fisher DeBerry and his dad was Head Coach at Indiana State for many yrs) - has said we practice better. 

#4.  Talent.   It helps that our H.C. is good evaluator of talent and drafts really well (important since we've been drafting last, lately).   Talent makes us all look better.  

#5.  Staff.  Maybe this should be higher up...  HC and I are usually on the same page, work very well together, trust one another and loyal to each other.  We bring in parents who want to learn and coach them up, too.  He's pretty good at picking and choosing who he allows around the team, and so we've generally had a cohesive unit, staff-wise.  He's the boss, but rarely does more than make a suggestion now and then on the Offense.  He generally allows me to run practice - with his input, but long ago conceded I run a better, crisper,  practice than he did.  

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

Prodigy and mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 2, 2020 9:25 am  

"I'd like to hear why you're a better coach than the other coaches you encounter."

I don't know how one quantifies this, but I believe your success is a direct correlation to how much you care.  What are you motivated by?  The majority of coaches at the youth level are involved only because their children are.  It's voluntary. There's no pay.  At the high school level, you find more guys who coach as a career, and thus have to be more competent at what they do in order to survive in it.  

Without understanding your own motivations and reasoning for spending time involved in coaching, I think it's harder to be successful at it.  Many coaches would be better at what they did, if they simply knew why they were there in the first place.  That's what a Mission Statement is designed to do.  And why I require one from every AC on my staff.  

Are you seasonal, or are you year-round?  I spent my time at this year-round.  I didn't coach football in the fall, basketball in the winter and baseball in the spring.  The other sports took away from my opportunity to learn more about coaching football. I can't control how much my opponent prepares, but I can control how much time I put into it.  I always felt like there was someone out there, putting more time into this than I was, and that always worried and motivated me to work harder, longer, smarter.

I've spent a lot of time and money traveling to clinics.  I was (and am) motivated to learn more.  Many coaches aren't.  As an example, Coach Wyatt has spent the past 20 weeks offering (free) Zoom clinics on the Double Wing/Open Wing/Run & Shoot.  I have attended 18 of them.  (I missed one through internet technical difficulties and another when I was out of town and simply forgot  about the clinic.) In the first 5 or 6 weeks of his clinics, between 90-100 coaches were in attendance.  But now that we're in Week 20, the last clinic had only 35 visitors.  I'm one of them.  Regardless of what his subject is, I am thankful to have the opportunity to learn from a master teacher.  And as a coach, I refuse to overlook the (great) opportunity to improve from someone who is far better at this, than I am.  It's why I'm still on this site; looking for an opportunity to learn.

You don't find these coaches in the Facebook groups.  You find coaches who are there to talk smack, chest beat, and show highlights of a fast kid running a sweep for a touchdown against a crummy defense while other coaches say, "Great job, Coach!"

In the end, you're motivated by one of three things: you coach for yourself, your child, or kids in general.  I don't have any children, so that can't be one of my motivations.  I am extremely competitive, so coaching provides an outlet for that challenge.  But the longer I have coached, the more practices I have visited of other coaches, the more players I have established and built relationships with, the more my heart has filled.  An AC once told me, "That last group we had was the best group of kids we'll ever have."  I told him, "You just wait.  Next year more of them will come along and your heart will get even bigger."  That's what happens.  Both with kids and with other coaches, if you let it.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

spidermac, acsmith7062, Prodigy and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 2, 2020 9:42 am  
Posted by: @coyote

#1.   Probably, study.  I've given away most of my football library over the yrs and still have close to 2 dozen on my shelves, was a regular clinic attender the 1st sixteen yrs I coached - usually 2 a yr for football - plus some camps.  Resumed going to clinics again 5 yrs ago (I'd been out of the game for 10 yrs, still getting caught up)

--If you're going to be successful for the long haul, this is mandatory.  Otherwise, your seasons will be up & down, and probably only as good as the talent you have.

#2.  Conviction.  Having coached under several Head Coaches, was exposed to multiple systems, practice styles and etc.   Found things I liked and disliked under all of them, kept the stuff I really liked...  Defensively =  the split 4-4 (Our HC is also the DC and he believes in a 6-5 for our level and runs it well).  Offensively  = the Wing T.   Likely one of the things that make me better than the guys I coach against, is I believe in what we run and seek to perfect it, to master it, and not bouncing from one thing to the other every couple yrs. 

--Agree.  If you stick with what you like, and find ways to get better at it, you should be tough to stop.  It's the "Jack-of-all-trades-Master-of none" theory.

#3.  Practice better.   Picked up a lot of 'skills and drills' over the yrs.  Maybe this is our biggest edge at present...  we practice better than anyone else.  The H.S. head coach has been around quite a bit, (I've spent hours picking his mind - he played at Air Force under Fisher DeBerry and his dad was Head Coach at Indiana State for many yrs) - has said we practice better. 

--Bingo.  I take great interest in watching anyone practice.  Once I started coaching high school ball, it gave me the ability to watch any number of youth practices since I no longer had a youth affiliation.  Whether I'm at a college practice, or a youth one, I find few things more interesting. Especially since practice days are the most important and enjoyable for me.

#4.  Talent.   It helps that our H.C. is good evaluator of talent and drafts really well (important since we've been drafting last, lately).   Talent makes us all look better.  

--I think video exposes whether your success is talent-related or coaching-related.  Football has so many integral fundamentals.  In film study, you can see whether they've been taught.

#5.  Staff.  Maybe this should be higher up...  HC and I are usually on the same page, work very well together, trust one another and loyal to each other.  We bring in parents who want to learn and coach them up, too.  He's pretty good at picking and choosing who he allows around the team, and so we've generally had a cohesive unit, staff-wise.  He's the boss, but rarely does more than make a suggestion now and then on the Offense.  He generally allows me to run practice - with his input, but long ago conceded I run a better, crisper,  practice than he did.

--For me, I find this very important at the high school level, and of very little importance at the youth level.  I'm fine (and actually prefer) with being a one-man-band and with 25 kids, I can do so.  With 50+ kids, I'm stretched.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 2, 2020 9:45 am  

I can NOT, for the LIFE OF ME, understand why this site reformats so many of my posts with font-size changes, highlight changes, and spacing changes.  Good grief....

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
September 2, 2020 10:09 am  

I'm a better coach than everyone because I pepper 32wedge, CoachDP, the DW forum, and the Killer Bee forum with questions.

All joking aside, I wouldn't ever make a statement like this. Until someone prints, "He take his'n and beat your'n and then take your'n and beat his'n" about me, I need to get better each day. While I feel like I know my schemes pretty well, there might be a better way to teach it to the kids. That's why I always read each post out here and try to keep an open mind about it. It certainly helped me with teaching SAB and GDB blocking schemes to the "bobbleheads" as Coach Wilkins affectionately refers to them.

Coach Terry

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 2, 2020 12:58 pm  

I'll add one more thing. Our o-line has consistently been better than everyone we've faced. I have been the o-line coach for many seasons now, and I will say up front that I am not a great o-line coach. What I believe sets us apart from our competition is that a) We stumbled upon a magic bullet that so far has made the job easier for the linemen and the backs. b) I take it very seriously and work at that magic bullet and c) My HC (Mahonz), our OC (Lonnie) and I are 100% on the same page and they give me the time and support needed to make it happen.

Last season, we had a complete lack of talent at the RB position, the likes of which I only saw one time in my 0-8 effort in 2011 or so. Last season, the holes were there, space was there, but our backs were too slow, too hesitant or lacked the vision to take advantage. Mahonz, Lonnie and I broke every tool in the toolbox to remedy this, but never found a consistent solution.

Every other season, we've had average to above average backs who had spectacular results because they learned to run in our system. Most of our opponents had at least one spectacular back and several who were about the same as ours. The difference was that our opponents had sub-par o-lines. While other teams had big linemen and even great linemen, our line has always played as a unit. Not to ignore our backs, either. Our non-carrying backs have usually been very effective in our blocking schemes as well. That has not been a coincidence.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 2, 2020 1:37 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Our o-line has consistently been better than everyone we've faced. I have been the o-line coach for many seasons now, and I will say up front that I am not a great o-line coach. What I believe sets us apart from our competition is that a) We stumbled upon a magic bullet that so far has made the job easier for the linemen and the backs. b) I take it very seriously and work at that magic bullet and c) My HC (Mahonz), our OC (Lonnie) and I are 100% on the same page and they give me the time and support needed to make it happen.

It's no coincidence that good offensive lines and offensive success go hand in hand.  Problem is, so many coaches overlook it.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
September 2, 2020 2:15 pm  

I am a better coach than everyone except Dave Potter because DP is the Sun Tzu of youth football! Actually, I have never really thought of myself as better than everyone.

I love football year round. I study, plan, plot and scheme every offseason for the next season. Then I toss all that out the window and custom fit my schemes to the players abilities as I evaluate my new team. I use video in practice and games to determine trouble areas. I love my players and am honest with them about football and about life. I don't yell often but I will yell. I don't have to discipline my teams often but they know I will. I give them everything I got to help them be good and they play their tails off for me.

I haven't practiced punting in 4 years. We spend about 45 minutes a season practicing special teams which consists of 1 onside kick. We have recovered 27 kicks in the last 32 games. I don't care about critics. I am going to teach whatever (inside the rules of football) I think gives my kids the best chance to win. I believe my players sense that, believe in me, trust me and play hard because of that.

One of the things I love most about football is listening to my players past or present talking about football while waiting on their ride home, on the bus to the games or past players after high school practice or on social media. When I hear how proud they were of a game or championship from years ago, I know that I was a part of a great memory that was important to them. My players from last year or 15 years ago know that Coach Nathan is always available to talk to them about anything. They know I might not give them the advice they want but it will be honest and what I believe is in their best interest. A few stay in contact. A couple have reached out at very dark places in their lives and hopefully I helped in some way.

The teams we play against hate playing us. My current players are enjoying playing football. My past players tell me they wish they could go back and be on my team again. All that is good enough for me.

There's no real way to justify being a better coach than someone else because we are all coaching in different situations.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: