RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 2, 2020 2:35 pm  
Posted by: @32wedge

One of the things I love most about football is listening to my players past or present talking about football while waiting on their ride home, on the bus to the games or past players after high school practice or on social media. When I hear how proud they were of a game or championship from years ago, I know that I was a part of a great memory that was important to them. My players from last year or 15 years ago know that Coach Nathan is always available to talk to them about anything. They know I might not give them the advice they want but it will be honest and what I believe is in their best interest. A few stay in contact. A couple have reached out at very dark places in their lives and hopefully I helped in some way.

--It's harder for an inexperienced coach to wrap their head around this ^ concept, than for a veteran coach.  It's why you see so many newbie coaches just focusing on their W/L record.  They haven't yet had the opportunity to develop long-term relationships and enjoy the riches of what that relationship can mean to the player and coach.  But something the newbie coach CAN do right away is attempt to build his program the right way, with a focus on academics and community that will immediately enrich even the newest of relationships.  The coach can go out of his way to communicate with both player and parent, so they can see the coach as a member of their support system.  But in many instances, we get irresponsible coaches who simply use kids for their own selfish glory.

There's no real way to justify being a better coach than someone else because we are all coaching in different situations.

--Agree.  I can only coach my team.  I have no idea what my coaching situations would have entailed or how they would have differed had I coached in other parts of the country.  But I'm grateful to the 2 youth organizations, 2 middle schools and 5 high schools that have given me the opportunity over the years, as well as the countless coaches who've given me the opportunity to share with them.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote and 32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 2, 2020 3:14 pm  
Posted by: @32wedge

I am a better coach than everyone except Dave Potter

--Hah!  You should have used the Pinocchio emoticon, Nathan. 🤥 

--But like you said, you really can't compare yourself to anyone else.  You can only compare yourself to yourself, which is what I've done.  Was I better this year, than last?  Did I improve as much as I should have?  Where are my deficiencies?  How can I get better? What can we do this year, that we weren't doing last year?

--These are the questions I ask myself before, during and after every season.  A coach who isn't asking himself those questions is probably spending too much time admiring himself.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 2, 2020 3:45 pm  

Well I got you guys thinking!

I posted something the other day and Mosley emailed me asking if he could make it into an article.  It was on the importance of humility in coaching.

I got to thinking about what characteristics really play into making a coach a good one...at least semi-logically the opposite traits would make them a less effective coach.

i.e. A willingness to grow, learn and improve vs. lack of interest in learning, a know-it-all.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
September 2, 2020 4:38 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Our o-line has consistently been better than everyone we've faced.

The importance of coaching up the OLine cannot be emphasized enough.   

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
September 2, 2020 4:44 pm  
Posted by: Coach DP

'm fine (and actually prefer) with being a one-man-band and with 25 kids,

I was emphasizing loyalty and cohesiveness among the staff, not really looking at the number of staffers.   My HC and I would be fine w/out the helpers.

I really do like being able to take my Oline off and work just with them, tho.  I believe our Oline is the best in the league, altho we're consistently the smallest (someone here wrote about Force = Mass x Acceleration; I believe in the acceleration part).   But the special attention also makes the kids feel important, that they add value to the team.  

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 2, 2020 5:45 pm  

I know that Mike and Zach have touted their "experience" as an advantage over other coaches, but "experience" is only useful when you can learn and apply from it.  I've seen guys who've coached for 20 years and are just as bad now and they were then.  Mike and Zach (and the rest of us) have learned what experience has taught us, and we've used the application to improve.  Other guys just believe that "the kids gotta want it."  A lot of people graduate from high school every year.  It doesn't mean that they've really learned anything.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

mahonz and Prodigy liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 2, 2020 5:49 pm  
Posted by: @prodigy

I got to thinking about what characteristics really play into making a coach a good one...at least semi-logically the opposite traits would make them a less effective coach.

i.e. A willingness to grow, learn and improve vs. lack of interest in learning, a know-it-all.

I'm of the opinion that the "know-it-all" and the "know-nothing" are similar, in that they are both talent-driven coaches, meaning that the only difference between the "know-it-all" and the "know-nothing" is that the "know-it-all" was able to draft the fast kid, and the "know-nothing" wasn't.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 2, 2020 5:58 pm  
Posted by: @coyote

I was emphasizing loyalty and cohesiveness among the staff, not really looking at the number of staffers.   My HC and I would be fine w/out the helpers.

--Loyalty and cohesiveness are great.  I had the same Defensive Coordinator for 9 consecutive years.  

I really do like being able to take my Oline off and work just with them, tho.  

--Probably the part of practice that I enjoy most.  Loved it in high school because of the extra time spent together (such as Elite Workouts that weren't for the rest of the team).

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 3, 2020 7:39 am  

Here is what I came up with before starting this thread:
1. motivation for coaching
2. experience level + desire to learn
3. taking responsibility

That's where I paused.

spidermac liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 3, 2020 8:18 am  
Posted by: @prodigy

Here is what I came up with before starting this thread:
1. motivation for coaching
2. experience level + desire to learn
3. taking responsibility

That's where I paused.

That's where I started.

Back when I first came to coaching, despite my experience level (which was nada), I was motivated, wanted to learn, and took responsibility in knowing that if we stunk it was my fault.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 3, 2020 10:14 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

I know that Mike and Zach have touted their "experience" as an advantage over other coaches, but "experience" is only useful when you can learn and apply from it.  I've seen guys who've coached for 20 years and are just as bad now and they were then.  Mike and Zach (and the rest of us) have learned what experience has taught us, and we've used the application to improve.  Other guys just believe that "the kids gotta want it."  A lot of people graduate from high school every year.  It doesn't mean that they've really learned anything.

--Dave

Very true. A lot of experience can also create complacency. Then things become stale.  I fight that all the time. But since I began to delegate most everything, I now enjoy watching other coaches find their groove. Plus I like to shuffle the deck on them. One season they run the O...the next the D. I'd like to start rotating them as Headers but our League is so demanding off the field I think its best I stick to managing all of that. Yesterday I spent about two hours doing all the off the field dumb stuff because our first game is Friday night. Its become excessive. August is a real bear anymore and with COVID....x5. I would not want to be a rookie Header this season. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 3, 2020 12:21 pm  
Posted by: @mahonz

Very true. A lot of experience can also create complacency. Then things become stale. 

that's on my list.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 4, 2020 12:04 am  

First I've got to say that in most ways I'm not a better coach than most of them I run into now.  I think with my move here I've moved up to a noticeably better class of coaches than I saw back in the Bronx.  I may still have disagreements of judgment with any of them, but that's no guarantee that I'm right.  And there were always some coaches back in the Bronx who were as good as or better than many of them here, but the average there was brought down by many lesser and/or inexperienced ones.

Still, one thing that gives me at least the potential to make me a better coach than many anywhere is my open mind.  I don't know if I'd consider that either a subset or superset of the "humility" brought up in the concurrent essay, but you may consider it something like that.  I'm always open to the possibility that there may be a better way, or at least another way, or an almost-as-good way that's different, whether that comes from another coach, a player, or myself.  The game's been around since, like...forever...but none of us have seen it all, let alone seen all the possibilities.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 4, 2020 7:39 am  

@bob-goodman the funny thing is..I have never genuinely compared myself to another coach.  I think DP said it earlier that we're actually competing against ourselves.  I've seen other coaches do things that I think are great and other things that aren't so great.  Heck, I've done some things I thought were great and were not so great also.  I think ultimately much of this boils down to learning, evolving etc.

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
North Carolina
Middle School
Head Coach
September 5, 2020 5:08 pm  

The amount of preparation I put in.  I study my kids, my assistants and my opponents.  I put the kids in the best situation to be successful in our scheme.  Two of my assistants played for me in middle school.  My film guy played for me too.  I am looking to pass the torch on to them.  One works with me, the other works with his dad, my long time assistant.  The two of us have coached together for probably 15 years.  While I run the offense primarily, he runs the offense. We work so well together.

Once I figured out my practice scheme, I realized I could start practicing less.  My opponents practice all summer.  I start two weeks before the season.  It is mostly to assess and evaluate who can throw, catch, snap and run.  

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: