Why I'm a better coach than you are.  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
September 8, 2020 2:16 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

I know that Mike and Zach have touted their "experience" as an advantage over other coaches, but "experience" is only useful when you can learn and apply from it.  I've seen guys who've coached for 20 years and are just as bad now and they were then.  Mike and Zach (and the rest of us) have learned what experience has taught us, and we've used the application to improve.  Other guys just believe that "the kids gotta want it."  A lot of people graduate from high school every year.  It doesn't mean that they've really learned anything.

--Dave

Coached high school ball with a friend of mine in 2001.  I got away from that school after that season because I didn't like how the bottom half of the roster was treated.  Fifteen years later I coached with this guy again when he got his own program.  He hadn't learned anything despite being a varsity d-coordinator for 15 years.  He just had a bigger ego.   

I use Jim Harbaugh's philosophy when judging coaches, especially myself....."Want to know what kind of a coach you are?  Ask you worst player."

CoachDP and 32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
September 9, 2020 5:52 pm  

Interesting topic.  I'm a good coach...at some things.  I think I was a good OC.  Better than many, not as good as some.

I was not a good HC.  Figured that out with two 3-5 seasons.  The first one was pretty good to be 3-5, we didn't have much.  The second season 3-5 was a disaster.  Awful.  Couldn't coach my way out of a paper bag.  That was 6-7-8 win talent that I couldn't get to play.

I think ultimately it comes down to that I burned out over time.  I was a better coach 2009-2014 than I was 2015-2017.  I got tired of the details.  Can't do that and be successful.

In the right situation I think I could be a good AC again.  Not sure I'll have that opportunity now.

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
September 10, 2020 10:13 am  

I am a better coach than you because I compete against myself.

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 10, 2020 10:18 am  
Posted by: @jrk5150

In the right situation I think I could be a good AC again.  Not sure I'll have that opportunity now.

Me neither, John.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 10, 2020 11:54 am  

@coachdp @jrk5150
we can at least visit here, tell war stories and share whatever knowledge we have to benefit people who do have the opportunity...if football isn't cancelled forever.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
September 12, 2020 10:53 pm  

I have never been anywhere long enough to get really good at something that I could claim to be “better” at than someone else.

I was a youth AC for 2 years and had to do lots of different things. I learned a little about a few different positions.

Then I was a youth HC for a few years. I felt like I was getting close to being pretty good at a couple specific things. I got pretty good at prioritizing what was critical and what wasn’t. That allowed us to practice well so we could execute well. I was also on my way to becoming a decent OL coach.

The next year I became a HS freshman AC and therefore lost all control over how and what we practiced...did that for 2 years. The cool part about being an AC again was that allowed me to focus almost all of my attention on my position group...OL. I felt like I was getting pretty close to getting that thing wired. 

I am now the HC of that same freshman team I had been an AC on. I am excited to be back in the captain’s seat, but I have to give up my position group and start over with a new position that I have never coached. I’m excited for the challenge. I’m also expecting to get moved to something else right about the time I’m on the doorstep of being “good” or better than other coaches. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 13, 2020 10:28 am  
Posted by: @seabass

I got pretty good at prioritizing what was critical and what wasn’t.

That is a critical, yet overlooked skill, Josh.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 16, 2020 12:10 pm  

OKay, late to the party, but this is a great topic...

And someone else touched on it already...I am a better coach than you because I coach my entire roster and find a way for each player to contribute in a meaningful way...

I have told this story before, a few years back we absolutely dismantled a team, and after the game the opposing coach came up and congratulated me and the said (nullifying the congratulation) "I just don't have any players". Which set my wheels to thinking...my son was with me at the time...and I said, "does coach have any players" he said "he does". So I asked "do we have more players than he does"...he said "you don't"...I asked "could we take his roster and still win games" he said "absolutely"...and I asked him why...and he told me, "you coach the entire roster".

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: