Why is the Spread O...

Notifications
Clear all

Why is the Spread Offense so popular in HS?

Page 1 / 12

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Has anyone thought why so many HS's run a Spread Offense?

The honest answer may surprise many of you. We run  a Spread Offense simply because it gives us the best chance to compete every year. The HS I coach at was an I Power team before I returned here. We were always competitive, just never able to compete with the top end talented programs. Sooner or later here in Florida, you face a team that has players you can't block. Sooner or later you will face a team that plays 4 cats in the secondary. Sooner or later you will face an Offense scoring 40 pts a game. Take all those sooner or later's & find a way to consistently win.

Unlike what most guys think, our goal is to be 50/50 run pass. Our run game has to be able to knock guys off the ball with limited talent. We have to have a guy to deal with some stud DE or OLB that we can't block even if we had a shotgun. Spread Option allows us to do this. In our 2 seasons running Spread we haven't lost a regular season game. we also have set or broken every offensive record at the school. The first season we had 1 D1 player sign, this year we had 9. There definitely is a correlation.

40 years is a long time to be blowing a whistle. When I first started we threw the ball 3 times a game whether we wanted to or not. A high scoring game was 21-17. Heck, we went seasons without giving up 17 points. I have forgotten more run scheme's than most of you guys know. We pounded the rock, why pass when 3 things can happen & 2 are bad? Things began to change in 90's, offenses learned to move the ball fast & score in bunches. In order to compete you had to find away to do the same.

I am not saying Spread is the only answer, nor will I deny that there some bad Spread teams out there. What I am saying is our offense gives us a chance to win every season. We adapt to what our talent structure is & go from there.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Schematically theres a ton of reasons why. I've also heard from many HS coaches a big part of it is a recruiting tool. Kids want to play in the spread.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Jake

Prior to becoming a Spread team we rarely if ever got any transfers. Now we get 4-5 players every semester.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

We do it for a numbers advantage.

If you line up under center and aren't running the option, you're playing 10 on 11 because your QB isn't blocking anyone. When you play from the gun, he's a constant run threat that will pull one or two defenders.

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Joe

...and every other level !

I went to a small Private HS in the early 70's that was a Basketball Powerhouse. You can imagine what that meant for the Football Program.

Well...my HS HC was all about the Tiger Ellison philosophies and we won a lot of games suiting up our 28 players vs other major Programs suiting up as many as 75. Back then you could declare up a Classification or 2 but if accepted all Sports played in the same Classification. So being a Private School recruiting blue chip players to play round ball....we always played in the highest Class.

We couldn't play D worth a darn but man could we play some grass Basketball like no other....literally. OJ Simpson and USC were how things rolled back then. The passing game was an afterthought.

Its why I have coached so much Spread at the youth levels.  I lived it before anyone else did and continued that path once I started coaching youths. It worked great for about 20 years.

But those days are over for me now. Spread as my base is gone. Why? Because its no longer too my advantage anymore. Its so commonplace I don't even enjoy the CFB Bowl Season anymore unless its Stanford or Alabama or LSU...teams that don't run that f-ing read option Spread stuff 40 times a game.

DC's even youth DC's get it now. Still...Im not surprised you all run it and do well. Do you really think any of these outstanding athletes you collect will play for you running the DW? Not a chance in hell. They see what the Big Time CFB Programs run and want their shot. Heck...even the NFL is a pass first 4 WR set league anymore.

YAWN ! This coming from a "spread" Coach.  🙁

The only thing that makes me happy is now I can talk "I" Formation on this Forum and no one snickers. Didnt used to be that way. Youth coaches abused my beloved "I" for so long that it was considered a crappy O. Now the youth coaches are in the process of abusing spread philosophies to the nth degree giving the DC's a false sense of security.  😉 😉

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Jake

Prior to becoming a Spread team we rarely if ever got any transfers. Now we get 4-5 players every semester.

Joe

Exactly. How you get the basketball kids too.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

Joe

...and every other level !

I went to a small Private HS in the early 70's that was a Basketball Powerhouse. You can imagine what that meant for the Football Program.

Well...my HS HC was all about the Tiger Ellison philosophies and we won a lot of games suiting up our 28 players vs other major Programs suiting up as many as 75. Back then you could declare up a Classification or 2 but if accepted all Sports played in the same Classification. So being a Private School recruiting blue chip players to play round ball....we always played in the highest Class.

We couldn't play D worth a darn but man could we play some grass Basketball like no other....literally. OJ Simpson and USC were how things rolled back then. The passing game was an afterthought.

Its why I have coached so much Spread at the youth levels.  I lived it before anyone else did and continued that path once I started coaching youths. It worked great for about 20 years.

But those days are over for me now. Spread as my base is gone. Why? Because its no longer too my advantage anymore. Its so commonplace I don't even enjoy the CFB Bowl Season anymore unless its Stanford or Alabama or LSU...teams that don't run that f-ing read option Spread stuff 40 times a game.

DC's even youth DC's get it now. Still...Im not surprised you all run it and do well. Do you really think any of these outstanding athletes you collect will play for you running the DW? Not a chance in hell. They see what the Big Time CFB Programs run and want their shot. Heck...even the NFL is a pass first 4 WR set league anymore.

YAWN ! This coming from a "spread" Coach.  🙁

The only thing that makes me happy is now I can talk "I" Formation on this Forum and no one snickers. Didnt used to be that way. Youth coaches abused my beloved "I" for so long that it was considered a crappy O. Now the youth coaches are in the process of abusing spread philosophies to the nth degree giving the DC's a false sense of security.  😉 😉

This is all i will say about the I there's a reason every Nfl team has it in there playbook and its a big part of our wing t it's a great offense if your rooted in the teaching of blocking ill talk I Pro Football  anytime i have footage of our version of I on youtube write now let me see how i can get it to you Coach.

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold

Chris Brown wrote this article about the rise of the terrible spread nine years ago:

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2006/01/has-spread-offense-reached-its-apex.html

I think he may have been a bit premature, but I've definitely seen plenty of lousy spread teams in the past 9 years.  Of course, once something gets widespread adoption, by necessity you're going to see some teams employ it poorly (after all, for every game that is won, someone else has to lose).

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdoug
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

Schematically theres a ton of reasons why. I've also heard from many HS coaches a big part of it is a recruiting tool. Kids want to play in the spread.

This is the BIGGEST LIE in sports.  We have three teams in our league that are having to fold and combine with other schools in a coop- one thing they have in common...the spread and low numbers....

The offense you run doesn't attract players, winning does.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

Exactly. How you get the basketball kids too.

we had a kid come to us from the basketball team....we got him lifting, he got to 1000 lb club...rushed for 1000 yards, had 10.5 sacks on defense.....then made all state on the basketball team too.

didn't take the spread to get him out.

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Joe, I think the "spread" gives our HS team a chance to compete. Spreading the defense thin and making them cover the whole field. Last year (2013)we were a running team with the old QB. we averaged 26 points per game and our defense was good.
This year is polar opposite, we throw the ball around and average 530 YPG and 43 PPG and what was outstanding for the HC was when he said they had 20 more rush yards than passing yards throughout the whole season. That was really balanced.
Now they not only have to defend the whole field they have to defend everyone.

we have got into some huge shootouts that if we were a run dominate team we wouldn't have been in the game. We played a Pearland team that is 6A (we 5A)to a 61-50 loss. it was real close till the last 3 minutes. we are one of 3 teams to hang 50 points on Pearland that year, with the other 2 being Katy and Manvel. Both 6A

Our offense gave us a chance. What was not really said was after the game the crowd felt like we won. It was an exciting game and we were in it.
I guess its called hope.....  🙂

It gives the stands,.... Hope

I hope that makes sense

this is just my 2 cents

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/highschool/article/Defensive-coordinator-It-s-getting-more-like-5746524.php
*edit*Here is an article about that shootout

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum

under center does not mean your 10/11, when you as a coach decide not to use your QB as a run threat then your 10/11. what I dislike about the spread is...its not the offensive formation nor the scheme its the coaching and your talent. Wing T was the default offense for years and all the coaches said "well it gives us a chance to play with the big boys" SOUND FAMILIAR?

Calende you are wrong, but just a little. If your a spread team and down the road is a DW HS, providing that kids around the area have a choice to transfer, any receiver type kids, and throwing qbS will more than likely gravitate towards the spread team. If the DW team is a power house winning 90% of games they will attract players just fine but not the receivers nor throwing QBs

look at Georgia Tech last I checked they had no top recruits...why? After all they were winning more than those other teams who ALL out recruited them.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

under center does not mean your 10/11, when you as a coach decide not to use your QB as a run threat then your 10/11. what I dislike about the spread is...its not the offensive formation nor the scheme its the coaching and your talent. Wing T was the default offense for years and all the coaches said "well it gives us a chance to play with the big boys" SOUND FAMILIAR?

Calende you are wrong, but just a little. If your a spread team and down the road is a DW HS, providing that kids around the area have a choice to transfer, any receiver type kids, and throwing qbS will more than likely gravitate towards the spread team. If the DW team is a power house winning 90% of games they will attract players just fine but not the receivers nor throwing QBs

look at Georgia Tech last I checked they had no top recruits...why? After all they were winning more than those other teams who ALL out recruited them.

When did gergia tech ever have top recruits? do you think they suddenly would if they put in the air raid?

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum

When did gergia tech ever have top recruits? do you think they suddenly would if they put in the air raid?

they aint getting anything above 3 star...I am echoing what I have heard by the sports radio commentators, the herd etc, they said its the triple option base offense thats avoided by the tops

ReplyQuote
bignose
(@bignose)
Silver

I've been on both sides of argument about the Spread attracting kids, vs. the Double Wing not attracting kids.

We went to the Spread in 2013 to try to attract more kids, after running the DW from 2007-2012.
During the time we ran the DW we were in the playoffs 4 out of 6 years. We were in the State Championship game twice, winning in 2010. We threw the ball 3 times in that game.

The two years we ran the Spread were a horror show. We ended up 4-6 and then 3 -7. We burned up 4 QBs along the way. They couldn't do what the OC wanted them to do.

Did we attract more kids because we opened it up?
Yes and no.
We had a few more kids try out and not one of them made a significant contribution to our offense. Mostly shield holders and spacemen (they stood around and took up space). We did have a talented QB transfer to another school when we ran the DW, because he wanted to be a passer. He helped the other team a good bit.

We are a 3A school with a population of about 1,300-1,400 kids. We are the fifth smallest 3A team in the State.
Some of the schools in our league have magnet programs, such as ROTC that they can use to recruit players. We have the pregnant girls care center as our recruiting tool. They are not gonna help our program.

Every time I hear about the Spread being a great equalizer:
1) You still have to have some talent. Being talented doesn't guarantee that you will win, but it sure helps.
2) You better find a QB who can operate under  pressure and make the correct reads and adjustments. And you better have a backup! I had the same issue in the 1980s with the Veer. I swore I'd never run a totally QB centered offense ever again, but it was not my decision to make.  If you don't have the right kid at QB, the efforts of the other ten kids are pretty much wasted. Both years we planned on having a running base and our OC just couldn't get it done.
3) You better be able to play helacious defense because you will not be able to hold onto the ball. Way too many 3 and outs! Or worse, turnovers!

For every Spread success story, there is equal number of mediocre Spread team, just due to the law of averages!

And I agree with MHcoach. When I first started coaching in 1974, the thought was: if you scored 3 times, you would win 75% of your games. Today it is more like 4 times per game.
Back then, you would find maybe one or two QBs per year who could carry a team on his back and beat you throwing. These days, we see 5-6 kids like this, between the Spread passing game and the Read Options.
And I also agree with Steve. Winning does a hell of a lot more to attract kids than anything else!

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 12
Share: