Notifications
Clear all

Why kids quit football?

Page 1 / 5

Coach Jeff
(@coach-jeff)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Coaches- in your opinion, why do kids quite football?

For the promotion and instruction of youth football! http://www.youthfootballonline.com

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

As a club president and board member for a long time ive seen/heard:

1. Just doesnt like it (not like as seen on tv)
2. Doesnt like coach (player, parents,  or both)
3. Not playing position they want

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Once they discover LAX....more games, less practice.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Kids, like everyone else, want the easiest path.  Football is the path less traveled because of the inherent challenges of it.  It is an old-school game developed at a time when there wasn't the number of choices available, as there are today.  The game was founded when there was a strict line about what it meant and took to be a man.  And regardless of whether that approach to attitude was correct or not back in the day, the lines of what it now takes to become a man are getting blurred more every day.  Especially when 83% of the single parents raising children are female.  This is compounded by the fact that the majority of coaches (at all levels, youth, middle and high school) make it harder by not knowing how to teach it properly, correctly or effectively.

So who wants to work in hardship while being led by someone who is incapable of being successful? 

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Add to that, participation in football used to be about just playing the game; not whether you won, or whether you got a scholarship.  Decades ago, kids played football simply because "that's what you did."  Now, many more kids play sports to get the scholarship.  And if you're not likely to see a scholarship, then you're not as likely to give it a try at an early age.  Who wants to "waste" that time, when they could have invested it in something that had a better pay-off?  The quest for scholarships to grab the brass ring and become a millionaire has become cut-throat.  Scouting services, team camps, AAU, etc. has put a focus on the scholarship/pros instead of just participating.  When I was in high school kids played to play.  Participation, in and of itself, was the goal.  Nowadays, if kids feel like they can't compete in this cut-throat world of scholarships, kids on TV deciding which hat to pick up, travel teams, etc. then they are less likely to even try.  I've seen this, at every level.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Losing.

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold

I'll also throw in there that isn't fun any more. I'm not talking about the orange slices and juice box stuff. Combining bad coaching with losing seasons with kids being relegated to 8 plays a game to other sports having more payback for the same amount of effort, it's no wonder that kids are leaving.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze

As a club president and board member for a long time ive seen/heard:

1. Just doesnt like it (not like as seen on tv)
2. Doesnt like coach (player, parents,  or both)
3. Not playing position they want

These three exactly, and #2 probably has a great deal to do with #1 in most cases.

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

Because there expierence sucks point blank and as a whole to many of us suck at we do . Point blank !!!!!!

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver

Losing.

Pretty much every study done on the subject shows that losing is very low on the list of factors.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

Coaches take the fun out of playing by screaming at a kid instead of patiently teaching....abusive coaches. Abuse may also come in the firm of working a kid hard all week then ignoring him on game day......no payoff.

Parents take the fun out of it by criticizing play, coaches etc.

The competition may be so steep that the season is one laugher after the next, too embarrassing.

Media focus on injuries....

Many reasons but most comes back to loss of fun....too much work for small payday.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze

Pretty much every study done on the subject shows that losing is very low on the list of factors.

If half the roster is not getting meaningful snaps or just the minimum plays, they aren't going to care whether the team wins or loses. 

If a team is outmatched every week but the players feel valued, are having fun, and are learning, the losing won't be much of an issue.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Parents

Didn’t love the game in the 1st place

Friends are playing other sports

Did I mention parents?

The stud players we’ve lost in recent years have all been a result of parents & their new found dread of football cause by the CTE hysteria. We have a group of middle school boys that all quit at once. This team could legit make a Florida run. All the core players parents got scared.

Theres this new thing w/ dads. They either A: Don’t make household decisions anymore. Or B: pretend like they don’t, are actually scared themselves, but they hide behind their wife.

The  emasculated american man is prob the #1 cause. I can’t imagine being in a marraige where my wife tells me what sports our kids are allowed to play. But that is the norm now days.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

I just watched (closely) a team of 12 year olds that had as many as 30 kids at one point trickle down to about 15. Why? the coach worked the kids hard and taught fundamentals and physicality and discipline.... which was good....he had a play book/plan and appeared the assistants were informed..... and worked on teaching everything which was good....the team looked lackluster in the preseason....then he panicked after two weeks, threw it all out...he changed to something else....now, the bigger issue.....he played about 12 kids each game no matter the score, the kids that were scout team all week were coached with zero passion and zero effort and got zero play time.  most of the time, winning big or losing big, it was the same 11 kids on the field for the huge percentage of snaps.  yes, the subs were sub like but they didn't get any type of minimum play count at all.

kids were embarrassed when the assistant coaches called the subs to go in and the head coach stopped it (down by four scores said "no, not yet" and that means "not at all") and the Hc would say things like "IF, IF, IF I put you in at all" to kids who asked....he embarrassed them.

at times, when he allowed his assistants to sub kids in , they were often thrown into positions where they had zero chance for success. Ie, backup oline/dline guys having to play defensive end or corner or safety just to get some plays....then screamed at when they didn't achieve. it was tough to watch.

after the games, which they lost especially, the half hour lectures and yelling abusive things about being "puzzies" or whatever was especially unfair treatment on kids who were not even in the game. 

sadly kids who didn't come to practice still started and played based on his familiarity with them and their ability....the talk about discipline and commitment was just that, all talk.  coaches would make promises to the subs who took reps all week, they would then break those promises on game days.

kids would put in 5 and 6 hour sundays and not play....hour drive to game, hour drive home...no play time. absolutely disgusting.  the team won 5-6 games because they had some studs but the numbers dropped steadily until they limped into the playoffs with maybe 15-16 out of 30.

I thought the coaches were doing a good job in some areas but they failed in the area of player relationships and integrity.  the program itself had a number of coaches who PAID CASH to kids who scored tds or had interceptions and things of that nature. pretty daggone sad.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

If half the roster is not getting meaningful snaps or just the minimum plays, they aren't going to care whether the team wins or loses. 

If a team is outmatched every week but the players feel valued, are having fun, and are learning, the losing won't be much of an issue.

I might have misinterpreted the context a little.  When I read the OP, my thought was not on players quitting during the football season.  In that case, I agree with you both.

A major problem that we have in the county where I coach is kids quitting football and specializing in another sport where they are more likely to win. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5
Share: