Why kids quit footb...

Notifications
Clear all

Why kids quit football?

Page 5 / 5

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

We had 3 1st graders quit this season on a 2nd grade team.

Rylan: It was right at weigh ins. I don't know if he weighed in or not. You'd have to ask Mahonz. Anyway, we got an email or text from the parents something to the effect of "After much thought and consideration, Rylan will no longer continue with the Outlaws. Our values and beliefs are just different." So, I jumped the kid pretty good the last practice before he quit. We were running o vs d and Rylan was on D. We were trying to get as many reps as quickly as possible and Rylan thought it was hilarious to hit the ball out of the RB's hands after the play as he was running the ball back to ball coach. I told him twice to knock it off. The third time, I yelled a little and sent him on a lap. When he came back, he was crying and pouting. Arms crossed, chin in his chest, etc. I told him I loved him, but he has to do what he's told. On the next play, he made a pretty good tackle, so I really played it up. Not sure if that's why he quit, but I suspect it is.

Isaac: Broke his arm at school right after game 1. Mom told us he wanted to play once he healed and that he'd be coming to practice to watch as soon as the pain was manageable. Then, heard from Mom after he was cleared to practice, but the kid never showed up. In an ironic twist, the kid told us on day 1 that his nickname was "Bonecrusher". I guess I was wrong to assume he was talking about other peoples' bones.

Josiah: Kid went on vacation after game 1. While on vacation, told us that the vacation would be going a little longer. Car trouble? Can't remember. Then, they stopped responding to calls, emails, etc. Never saw the kid again. They lived a long way from our practice field. Mahonz suspects that may have something to do with it.

Why did they quit? I'm not sure it really matters to me. Maybe 1st/2nd graders aren't the best age group to measure this. Nearly all players and parents are new to football. So maybe the question is "why do kids quit after having played a few seasons?". I don't know. It used to bother me a lot when a kid quit. Now, I prefer to focus on the kids who want to be there.

What upsets me the most is all these people "quit" via text and then ignored me.

Hit and run wussies.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Every time it was his turn in line the coach would bump him for a better player

Standard Bozo Coaching 101.  It's one reason why I believe the MPR-rule should extend through middle school and why I'll never deviate from my "If you want in, get in" approach. 

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Everyone has some great answers, but I think most guys are missing a major reason.

FOOTBALL ISN'T FOR EVERYONE.

I am not talking about running players off, but the reality is not every boy has the desire to play. I anticipate a drop rate of about 10% for brand new players. I think what most have been commenting on is players who have played at least a full season then quit. Many of the reasons given are accurate. When we look at it, I think many coaches don't make it fun to play. The bottom line is after all football is a game. Everyone knows I can be serious as a heartbeat, I also realize when things need to be lighter. The very last thing I tell my QB before leaving the locker room before a game is, "enjoy the moment, go have fun".

Of course I want to win, of course I want to compete at the highest level; but we have to remember this is a game. I understand the whole "We are going to War men" mindset, & that's fine to a point. This can be lost on 9 y/o's, so make it fun. IMHO winning is fun, so I always want to be our best, but not at the cost of making players miserable.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

Football isn’t for everyone and no coach can be all things for all players.....and parents.

In any given season I might have 45 kids and their parents all in with me, a small fringe of 1-3 kids who are team cancers and their parents aren’t any better. It happens. In my experience the cancers are energy drainers and their parents are first to miss the parent meeting while being the most disruptive all year. Sometimes I wonder why some kids keep playing....they hate the work, they hate and fight the discipline, they don’t like the cold or the heat or the contact....they wan to text or sleep during film...etc etc. why do they come back?

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Steve

There are a couple things I am a firm believer in.

All cancers must be removed no matter how good they are. Somewhere somehow they will find a to destroy a team.

You can only depend on the dependable.

I am all for giving a player who makes a mistake a chance to redeem himself. Cancers however, will tear apart any sense of family a team has.

People need to realize we are talking the HS level. Youth level is a little different.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

So I talked to the boy last night that I was worried about...and his main objection was the running...I told him that we don't run for the sake of running, we condition differently...and during spring, we are going to be doing "football stuff"...I think he is in 🙂 I will find out later today.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

Steve

There are a couple things I am a firm believer in.

All cancers must be removed no matter how good they are. Somewhere somehow they will find a to destroy a team.

You can only depend on the dependable.

I am all for giving a player who makes a mistake a chance to redeem himself. Cancers however, will tear apart any sense of family a team has.

People need to realize we are talking the HS level. Youth level is a little different.

Joe

Agreed it’s tough to change some attitudes and personalities HOWEVER I’ll be the first to say that you have to be very careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water....meaning, if you’re working with 14-17 actual varsity bodies and running a kid off means he takes 3-4 guys with him and a program is evaluated partially by participation and revitivism...,it’s a balancing act. Run the kid, bench him, give him consequences but keep him around and fix his mind set....can’t save them all but remember sometimes we don’t know what’s going on behind the scene with some kids....

I was much quicker to cut kids out than I am now....but for sure you can’t just ignore the cancer or it’ll spread and grow.

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

So I talked to the boy last night that I was worried about...and his main objection was the running...I told him that we don't run for the sake of running, we condition differently...and during spring, we are going to be doing "football stuff"...I think he is in 🙂 I will find out later today.

We do sprints, hills, agility drills, shuttles......zero slow long distance runs....the big guys hate it, it’s terrible for knees and shins and strips needed mass....and did I mention that kids hate it?

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

We do sprints, hills, agility drills, shuttles......zero slow long distance runs....the big guys hate it, it’s terrible for knees and shins and strips needed mass....and did I mention that kids hate it?

Which I absolutely get for HS kids...and College Kids...but for 7 year olds and limited practice time...not so much...

And...funny think...first semester...position coach is going to "punish" my son for a C in math...he goes to the field and gets on the board, thinking he is going to have to push the board....coach says "oh, no, get off the board, you are running"...and he proceeded to sprint the field 10 times, back line to back line....

We talked about it after...and he said, I dunno why I didn't get to push the board...I asked him, are you good at pushing the board? He said yes...do you like sprints? No...that's why you sprinted...if you were a CB or something, you would have been on the board 😛

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

Kids also quit because of messed up home lives; which is just another way of saying 'parents'. We lost seven legitimate starters this past season before we even got to play our first game. Divorces, parent locked up in jail, parental apathy, etc...

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
Run68bone
(@run68bone)
Bronze

There have been a great many good post on this topic. I want to share one with you as a 15 year veteran of being a high school assistant coach at six different high schools, from 1A rural schools to 7A mega suburban schools.

Money, as the arms race in high school sports expands the cost of playing any and all sports, as well as other extracurricular activities has gone up.

Even if you have just one child or two, if they do more than one activity you start to have the price of doing extracurricular activities goes up.

More children, more the cost. With two parents working, bills to pay and the keeping up with the Jones then the cost of doing school activities can be a burden.

I remember in school all my parents paid was for insurance to play sports in middle and high school. I know coach a spring sport and have to charge students $500 to play to cover expenses cause the school won't pay for sports out of the budget.

I know many a young man who played 9th grade football have to go to work or was told it cost to much money to play football.

Economics. The working class and lower middle class is being forced out of activities because of the rising cost. When it comes to football it's the arms race from the pros and colleges has worked it's way down. It very big in suburban football that I coach in.

My two cents, just another reason the sport is dying off. I work in a southern state and even we see our numbers going down at a winning 7A school.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: