Would 3 nights of p...

Notifications
Clear all

Would 3 nights of practice, 2 hrs per night, once the season starts be good?

Page 1 / 3

Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

6th-7th grade group.  Many of my kids will also be playing some kind of sport here or there during the season, more so in late Oct and early Nov.  These sports include one kid swimming, three kids playing fall baseball, two kids wrestling and one kid plays on a travel soccer team. 🙁

If I get all the kids I think I will get, I should have between 15-18 kids.  :'(

My AC's were thinking maybe going 5 nights a week in August to get all we need to get worked out and going maybe 4 nights a week in Sept and drop it to 3 nights a week in Oct/Nov.  We are use to having 4 nights per weel with one night being a walkthrough without pads but that would be gone if we went to 3 nights per week.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

What options do you have?  I could fill every night of the week, if it were given to me.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

What options do you have?  I could fill every night of the week, if it were given to me.

--Dave

Because we will only have 15-18 kids and with 4 of my better players involved in other fall sports, more so later in the football season, I am trying to work with them so I can at least field a team, OR, field a team with the best players on my roster.

So throwing this out there may allow some who want to play football but fear their winter sports will suffer due to missed practices more at eased.  A few have yet to sign up and I know the kids and parents wnat them to play football, but....................

And when the hell did so many winter sports overlap football, gezzzzzzzzzz

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Heck, some nights you could just have "o-line practice night" and focus only on them.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachRLG
(@rgriebel)
Copper

In our league the most you can practice is three nights per week and 2 hours max per practice.  Here is what we do, the first month we practice three nights per week and then after Labor Day and school starts cut back to two nights per week for the rest of the season (Sep-Oct).  Most teams in our league go three nights the entire season, I think we are one of the few that goes two nights for most of the season.  We have been pretty successful with that scenario and will keep doing it.  However, there is no "wasted-time" in practice, extremely fast-paced and planned to the minute. Just from my experience, three nights a week should be fine even if other teams are practicing more. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

6th-7th grade group.  Many of my kids will also be playing some kind of sport here or there during the season, more so in late Oct and early Nov.  These sports include one kid swimming, three kids playing fall baseball, two kids wrestling and one kid plays on a travel soccer team. 🙁

If I get all the kids I think I will get, I should have between 15-18 kids.  :'(

My AC's were thinking maybe going 5 nights a week in August to get all we need to get worked out and going maybe 4 nights a week in Sept and drop it to 3 nights a week in Oct/Nov.  We are use to having 4 nights per weel with one night being a walkthrough without pads but that would be gone if we went to 3 nights per week.

S

In our League the 2nd-5th grade teams can practice 3 days per week for 2 hours during the Season. The 6th-8th grade teams can practice 4 days per week for 2 hours during the Season. I cant remember ever practicing any team that qualified 4 days per week. During playoffs we can practice 5 days per week for 2 hours. Again I have never gone more than 3 days per week.

Now in August we can add one day per week of practice up until game one and I always do that. 5 nights a week for the duration with MS level kids would be a horrific grind. I like your graduating down idea.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
durfee4
(@durfee4)
Platinum

We go 5 nights a week for the first month(or first game) then we go 3 nights with pads,1 in helmet and shorts.

Success only comes before Work in the dictionary

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Been doing 3 nights with 2 hours for years. We go more at first and then cut it back to 3/2 once school starts(by Pop Warner rule). It works out to be plenty. How you spend that time is the key. I have seen coaches that don't get done in a week what we get done in one practice. Be as efficient as possible and you will be fine. Also stress to the kids the importance of finishing one season before you start another. If our kids miss practices for a sport later in the season that started after football began they do not play. If they miss practice for sports already started when we begin they are excused. The second part of that is more important than the first. Set the example that you are serious about the kids finishing even when it hurts you.

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

Been doing 3 nights with 2 hours for years. We go more at first and then cut it back to 3/2 once school starts(by Pop Warner rule). It works out to be plenty. How you spend that time is the key. I have seen coaches that don't get done in a week what we get done in one practice. Be as efficient as possible and you will be fine. Also stress to the kids the importance of finishing one season before you start another. If our kids miss practices for a sport later in the season that started after football began they do not play. If they miss practice for sports already started when we begin they are excused. The second part of that is more important than the first. Set the example that you are serious about the kids finishing even when it hurts you.

Here is my problem, I have say 15 kids, my best players, the QB, RB, WR and LB's and FS all would miss practices if I wentto 4-5 days per week, the drip off is huge and I almost cant afford to sit them for playing another sport.

SO, I am trying to come up with a set schedule to show all the parents advising that I am willing to cut back to 3 days per week IF they can assure me their sons will work around our football schedule to please their other sports and coaches.

BUT, if I go 3 days a week and our starting QB misses one of those days per week due to an elite travel hockey team, then I am SCREWED!    lol  So I want to do a schedule in the next week or so and get it out to the parents to give to their winter coaches!

ReplyQuote
durfee4
(@durfee4)
Platinum

Here is my problem, I have say 15 kids, my best players, the QB, RB, WR and LB's and FS all would miss practices if I wentto 4-5 days per week, the drip off is huge and I almost cant afford to sit them for playing another sport.

SO, I am trying to come up with a set schedule to show all the parents advising that I am willing to cut back to 3 days per week IF they can assure me their sons will work around our football schedule to please their other sports and coaches.

BUT, if I go 3 days a week and our starting QB misses one of those days per week due to an elite travel hockey team, then I am SCREWED!    lol  So I want to do a schedule in the next week or so and get it out to the parents to give to their winter coaches!

You would have the best O & D-lines in your league,  ;D

Success only comes before Work in the dictionary

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

After many years of 3 days 2 hours I went to 4 days 1.5 hours no more. 

M-W-F- 5:30-7:00 Sat 9:30-11:00 for first 3 weeks of practice.  I eliminate the Saturday once the season Starts and go Monday and Thursday.  We ususally have a few Tuesday Games. 

My observation is you loose them after 1.5 hours. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

First, realize that anyone on here in Pop Warner already works within that 6 hour a week restriction.  So it's obviously do-able.

Second, I have had QB's playing another sport where they missed practice time - you're not necessarily that "screwed".  You'll just have to figure out how to manage the practice time.  You may end up working the O 2 days a week to account for that.  Not a huge deal.  Now, some on here will say it's a big deal around team building and commitment and not allow a QB to miss a practice a week, but that's a different issue than pure practice organization.  You need to do what you need to do around team chemistry and such.

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

Before the season starts.

Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri - 2 hours a day

The week of the first game we drop to Tue, Wed, Fri - 2 hours a day.

Been doing this for years with 35 kids.

Mondays always stunk.  Kids and parents always find reasons to be late and tired after school, long days for most of the coaches at work.  We dropped mondays a few years back and I will never go back.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I am surprised you go Fridays considering the no contact 24 hours before a game rule. At least our association has it.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

I am surprised you go Fridays considering the no contact 24 hours before a game rule. At least our association has it.

Never heard of that.

We play Sundays anyway.  But we still don't go Friday, as it conflicts with HS football.  And we don't go Saturday as that conflicts with soccer.  So we go Tue/Wed/Thur and then play Sunday.  Sucks they have 2 days off before the game, I'm sure it puts us at a disadvantage against teams that go Friday or Saturday.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: