Would you invite on...

Notifications
Clear all

Would you invite only your skill players to off-season practices?

Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

Just curious to what those who are allowed to practice during the off season do?

Do you bring in all your line players as well?  Won't the younger line players get bored?

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Shamrocks

We never had anyone standing around. There is never enough coaching time for all positions, I can always find something to work on. If you have the available coaches bring them all in.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Just curious to what those who are allowed to practice during the off season do?

Do you bring in all your line players as well?

--We would bring in everyone who wanted to attend.

Won't the younger line players get bored?

--Any kid gets bored when he's taught by a lousy teacher.  ?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Do you bring in all your line players as well?  Won't the younger line players get bored?

The last thing I'd ever worry or concern myself with is NOT inviting someone because I thought they might be bored.  Honestly Shamrocks, did you really even ask that?  What are you afraid of?

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

Won't the younger line players get bored?

I get bored when the line doesn't show up  ;D

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

The last thing I'd ever worry or concern myself with is NOT inviting someone because I thought they might be bored.  Honestly Shamrocks, did you really even ask that?  What are you afraid of?

--Dave

It's not for me coach.  We are not allowed to practice in the off season but I was wondering that those who are allowed, do they only focus on the QB and RBs meshing, WR running the proper routes, getting timing down and so on and the heck with the line or D or do they also focus on line work as well?

I have no clue, just asking,....

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I have no clue, just asking

It sounded to me like you wanted to overlook certain kids because you wouldn't have anything for them to do.  My question is, "Why wouldn't they have something for them to do?  Do they have to be in pads to be teachable?" 

Now on one hand, if you only want to target a specific group because you are only focusing on that group, then so be it.  Say, "Backs" this Saturday and "Lineman" next Saturday...nothing wrong with that.  But a fear of "boredom?"  No.  Actually, one of the best ways to improve yourself as a coach is take on more than you are comfortable with.  Learn (especially in less important summer sessions) to be able to spin more than one plate at a time.

I had 41 o-linemen to work with, at once, last summer.  On days that our JV header was missing, I had 55 guys at once to entertain.  Man, I preferred it to be that way.  Gets everyone else out of my hair.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

We don't practice early but if we did it would be linemen. The line takes many more reps as proper blocking technique is a very unnatural thing. I believe it takes much longer to develop a good lineman(and break him of bad habits from poor coaching) then it does to get skill player timing together. As far as wr, if you plan on passing often then the route running and qb mechanics/timing becomes more of an issue. Most youth teams don't take that route.

I think sending the kids to a speed/core trainer 2 or 3 times a week would be a bigger help than any partial team practice. I can't see any org that would have issues with speed/core training.

ReplyQuote
Share: