Notifications
Clear all

wow when it rains it....

Page 1 / 4

CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
Topic starter  

last season my O line averaged 5'7" 152 for a 8th grade team, in a league that was 190 max, smallest team we have ever had, for past 20 years and definitely without any doubt we were the smallest team in league this last year. O line out weighed on avg about 40 lbs each across the line.

At end of last season I was question mark of returning to the 8th grade team I had just coached on. I had coaching conflicts. That is, I wanted to practice our run game and instead we focused on our passing game whenever we went to team practice? I had 1 of the running backs at ur 5th game asking what to do on this play coach???? I wanted to walk off the field, very frustrating to say the least.

well thats kinda panned out OK, I threatened to walk, and got my way (spoiled baby) that is I am the OC and in charge of run game and blocking scheme and will get at least 50% of team practice time dedicated to the run game. OK so Im going to coach the 8th grade team again...

Now 2 younger teams the 9-10s and the 11-12s want me to run O for them because they are going to have a small O line next year and none of them want to coach O line. SO MUCH SO is the unpopularity of coaching the O line that the HC offered me to be the OC, both teams.

NOW the high school wants me up with them on all 3 fields varsity JV and freshmen, learn from varsity and coach JV and freshmen.

QUESTION

is coaching O line that unpopular? I was an defensive player, not an O lineman, I like Xs n Os, I like the chess game of football, and I know for a fact that every football game is won by blocking..the ability to block on offense and the ability to dodge/beat or get off blocks on defense, period.

THATS IT, FOOTBALL AINT ROCKET SCIENCE! My first choice is to go coach O line every time, then I want running backs, then I want running backs with O line....you need to start with the O line first and nobody does, its mind boggling!

Like I said when it rains, boom thunderclap it pours I now have 5 offers. I went from "ahhh maybe I will sit this season out and watch my boys games from stands" to a "does nobody want to coach O line anymore"

You know what I blame the spread!!!!!

Coach OCD

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Being able to coach O-Line is like being a car wash attendant who can drive a stick. You'll always have a job.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Sadly the Offensive Line is often overlooked and under coached.  However, as Michael says , there is ALWAYS opportunity! 

😀

JUST BLOCK SOMEBODY! 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
Topic starter  

after posting this I really was scratching my head, trying to figure out what the heck was happening, looking more in depth at this, I think a couple of irrefutable conclusions can quickly be revealed. The question is... why dont "coaches" want to coach O line? There is a few basic facts that contribute to the answer.

why dont coaches want the O line responsibility?

1st lets state the obvious...NOBODY likes it. Its not fun, nobody is running out for a long bomb, nobody is throwing, catching or pitching the ball, O line doesn't get to tackle, O line doesn't get to intercept the ball, O line doesn't get to score touchdowns or sac the QB. eg conclusion ...its the most boring coaching assignment there is and there is no glory for the O line.

Truth is when your walking your son down for league sign ups, shaking hands with other dads and potential coaches your not signing him up and paying 300 bucks for the dream of being the center!!!! NO NO NO maybe he will be "enter any skilled position" or a "any defensive position"
the last thing anybody ever wants is their son on the O line.

All the coaches, the parents are over there with the 7 on 7...oh theres laughing and playing its fun! ..... the O line coach (dad who drew shortest straw) is over there in the corner, there is NO FUN FOR HIM, with the 8 least talented kids on team, half the kids he has dont belong on O line they are just 10 play kids, theyre here because the coaches doing 7 on 7 dont want them, so they are dumped on his lap pushing a sled, like a punishment or tediously pushing bags around...welcome to o line hell.

WHERE DO ALL 10 PLAY KIDS GET PLACED?

WHO GETS YELLED AT WHEN PASSING GAME DONT WORK?
WHO GETS YELLED AT WHEN RUNNING GAME DONT WORK?
WHO GETS BLAMED AND YELLED AT FOR ANY LOSS?

WHO GETS THE HIGH FIVES FOR A 15 PLAY DRIVE? WHO GETS PICKED UP AND CARRIED AROUND FOR SCORING TDS? WHO GETS ALL THE CHEERS AND ADDA BOYS?  ALL THE PARENTS AT THE PIZZA JOINT AFTERWARDS ALL WALK BY AND CONGRATULATE WHAT COACHES? PLAYERS?

^^^^^^^now i dont want to coach the O line either, what am I a glutton for punishment? a masochist?^^^^^^^

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

We try to make our O-line a popular position, just by putting great players there. I'd bet anyone $100 bucks that they could never pick out our lineman during weigh ins.

Prob our biggest challenge every year, is finding the right 6 guys (counting TE) and really getting them to buy in. Seeing as how many of our lineman are capable of playing skill positions.

We don't really have one set O-line coach. My buddy & I combine to run the offense, and we alternate between the backs and lineman. Think that helps us stay fresh & interested, and it always helps to have another set of informed eyes looking at stuff.

BTW, my oldest son played Center when he was finally on my team. Decent athlete, O/L. I didn't mind at all.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

If you're on offense and you're not on O-Line, you're just playing tag.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

I love coaching O-line. Wherever and whenever I coach, O-line is usually my baby, and I make sure the kids know that REAL football players play the O-line. Any other position may as well be wearing tights and tutus.  😉

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

I coach the OL because no one else would. Our offense was all formations and X's and O's. So, I started to work with the line separately. I need to get better at it, though as it is definitely not my strength.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Any other position may as well be wearing tights and tutus.  😉

I'd tell my little dudes that if they wanted to be running backs, they should just go all the way and join the cheerleaders.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

ALL THE PARENTS AT THE PIZZA JOINT AFTERWARDS ALL WALK BY AND CONGRATULATE WHAT COACHES? PLAYERS?

Good.  Their praise would be meaningless.  The only thing they know about O-Line is they could't coach it.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/jan/17/sports/sp-9293

When Coach Mike Shanahan awarded a game ball to tackle Gary Zimmerman, the offensive linemen met in disgust and fined Shanahan $310 for trying to suck up to Zimmerman and then fined Zimmerman $1,000 for being singled out.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

You don't do it for the Glory!  Check out the Cool Clinic a.k.a. "Mushroom Society" 

You do it because it is, by far, the most important part of a successful offense! 

You aren't Ground and Pound or Fling and Wing without them! 

😉 😀

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
Topic starter  

I always enjoyed it, partly because I knew if I didn't a newbie would be coaching the boys. I have always considered the o line and blocking in general to be the key to victory. If the other team is successful at blocking you loose likewise if you are successful at blocking you win...door swings both ways ..if both are successful now you got a battle!. This is in mind with my blocking schemes.

cross block...I do it a little differently A gap is a X between G & C, B gap is between T & G C gap is between TE & T
trap pull bsg
power DW style bsg & bst pull playside
GOL...Clarks gap on linebacker
bucksweep pulling both gs
GUT  guard blocks out tackle pulls inside (guard under tackle = G.U.T.)
midline DCWT style
speed clarks dcwt or pulling playside guard depending on kids
wedge
tackle trap tackle pulls to trap middle defender
toss pulling backside tackle
wham tackle kicks out wing crashes down, or TE kicks out and wing crashes down

etc etc

most of the time I want a double at POA or angle blocks cuz I want my kids with the advantage not the other guys!

Its ironic that most coaches tha are yelling at Oline the most also simultaneously dont allow any of above and they place all 10 play kids at O line. I WANT to slap my forehead. I even ask them, I mean I try to say it in jest but I'm actually serious.."so let me get this straight, your entire run game is dependant upon the O line, here you put your least athletic kids, with the worst least experienced coach then to make sure they fail you tell them they are to beat the guy right in front of them every play..its just mind boggling some of the shit I see and hear....I MEAN I'VE ASKED COACHES, O LINE COACHES DO YOU USE SHOULDER, HANDS OR FLIPPER BLOCKING" THEY DIDN'T KNOW THE ANSWER...they didn't know what i was asking them....

Clarks 12 perfect blocks is a good start anywhere!
simple not overly complex technique instructions ...anything other than the "block somebody" technique 😉 😉 😉

ReplyQuote
coacho
(@coacho)
Silver

Much of our success running the Jet has come from a quality offensive line. We take pride in being offensive lineman. The kids are able to recognize the defensive alignments, and execute our blocking schemes and techniques. We have a 93% success rate over the last 3 years. I have clips of my teams running the Jet and the OL practicing the Reach Block on keepjettin.com.

ReplyQuote
BobbyG
(@bobbyg)
Copper

I think the desire to not coach the o-line is a general fear of not knowing how to teach it combined with it's importance to the team. I love getting in their face, getting that aggression out of a gentle giant who spends most his day at school trying to not accidentally hurt someone.The football field is the only place these days that boys can "go at it" and not get suspended or arrested. You got to instill that love of being able to manhandle the other kids and force them to go where you want to go.

The fun the little guys have too coming around the corner and getting that "severe angle" on a kid twice their size. My little tight end last year would give fits to a kid more than twice his size by lining up nasty and forcing him to either be too wide or be vulnerable for a crack block. Yes when he turned and faced him the lil' TE would do nothing to him, but he knew the kid was totally focused on him now and had no idea the ball just flew by him. Then his coach would yell at him, he'd focus on the ball again and get knocked off his feet by the crack block. That lil' kid would pull the grass out of his helmet and come up smiling for he knew he beat that bigger kid and it pissed him off.

In the youth teams I have coached we make sure everyone spends time learning to block, who is to say what position they will play once they get to the middle school coaches. In my experience with good coaches the difference between the number 1 receiver or running back and the number 2 (providing there are not huge differences in speed etc.) is who block best. Especially at the high school level if you have a great runner that cant block you don't want the defense to key off of him for pass/run situations. Inability to block is the leading cause of athletic skill position players sitting the bench.

I have a small bit of the opposite problem. I don't have any assistants who understand the Backs and Receivers so I am forced to spend most my time with them and too little with the o-line. But only one team to worry about.

-Bobby

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

after posting this I really was scratching my head, trying to figure out what the heck was happening, looking more in depth at this, I think a couple of irrefutable conclusions can quickly be revealed. The question is... why dont "coaches" want to coach O line? There is a few basic facts that contribute to the answer.

why dont coaches want the O line responsibility?

1st lets state the obvious...NOBODY likes it. Its not fun, nobody is running out for a long bomb, nobody is throwing, catching or pitching the ball, O line doesn't get to tackle, O line doesn't get to intercept the ball, O line doesn't get to score touchdowns or sac the QB. eg conclusion ...its the most boring coaching assignment there is and there is no glory for the O line.

Truth is when your walking your son down for league sign ups, shaking hands with other dads and potential coaches your not signing him up and paying 300 bucks for the dream of being the center!!!! NO NO NO maybe he will be "enter any skilled position" or a "any defensive position"
the last thing anybody ever wants is their son on the O line.

All the coaches, the parents are over there with the 7 on 7...oh theres laughing and playing its fun! ..... the O line coach (dad who drew shortest straw) is over there in the corner, there is NO FUN FOR HIM, with the 8 least talented kids on team, half the kids he has dont belong on O line they are just 10 play kids, theyre here because the coaches doing 7 on 7 dont want them, so they are dumped on his lap pushing a sled, like a punishment or tediously pushing bags around...welcome to o line hell.

WHERE DO ALL 10 PLAY KIDS GET PLACED?

WHO GETS YELLED AT WHEN PASSING GAME DONT WORK?
WHO GETS YELLED AT WHEN RUNNING GAME DONT WORK?
WHO GETS BLAMED AND YELLED AT FOR ANY LOSS?

WHO GETS THE HIGH FIVES FOR A 15 PLAY DRIVE? WHO GETS PICKED UP AND CARRIED AROUND FOR SCORING TDS? WHO GETS ALL THE CHEERS AND ADDA BOYS?  ALL THE PARENTS AT THE PIZZA JOINT AFTERWARDS ALL WALK BY AND CONGRATULATE WHAT COACHES? PLAYERS?

^^^^^^^now i dont want to coach the O line either, what am I a glutton for punishment? a masochist?^^^^^^^

S

I actually blame PW in general but only believe this from what I take away from these Forums and see televised from Nationals.

If you coached in an unlimited weight league you'd be combing the countryside looking for big's. The bigger the better and they are hard to find.

Football is not blocking and its not tackling. Its the bigs protecting the smalls at every single level except PW.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: