Notifications
Clear all

Youth Football Coach Hits Child

Page 1 / 2

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

The Georgia youth football coach who struck a player in the helmet twice during a game Monday has been banned for life from the American Youth Football league, according to reports.

That has done little to quell the outrage over the video that has gone viral this week.

“Ain’t no way!!! Couldn’t be my kid,” LeBron James wrote in an Instagram story Wednesday night with a screenshot of the video. “Hell, if I there and it’s not even my kid we gone have more than words for sure.”

The coach, reportedly identified as Gerrel Williams, was seen hitting a child in the head twice. The second blow knocked him to the ground during a stop in play at the AYF National Championships AA Div 1-7U in Kissimmee, Fla.

The video was sent to the Osceola County Sheriff’s Office, but the mother of the child said she did not want to press charges, according to reports.

Williams, who also worked as a detention center counselor, has since been fired from his job there, the Chatham County Sherrif’s Office told WJCL in Savannah, Ga.

“I’m not going to make no excuses for what I did,” Williams said in a video posted to his Facebook, per WJCL. “I was wrong. … There is no excuse for my actions. He forgives me and his parents have forgiven me, so nobody else should be bashing me.”

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

A youth football league in Kansas already reeling from ongoing fights and arguments has canceled its season following a fatal shooting, saying it’s “clearly too dangerous” to continue playing this year.

The 2020 Wichita Youth Football season was scuttled following a shooting late Wednesday at Stryker Sports Complex that left Marquell Nolen shot multiple times by a suspect on the west side of the stadium’s bleachers. Nolen, 31, of Wichita, was later pronounced dead at a hospital, police said.

“This was not a random incident and was not related to games being played or officiated,” police said in a statement. “It is believed Nolen and the suspect are known to each other and are involving in an ongoing feud.”

The latest instance of violence, however, was too much for league officials to bear, prompting them to shut the season in a statement issued Thursday.

“As a league, we can no longer safely continue with the 2020 season, as it is clearly too dangerous for the children and families of this city,” the statement read. “Our pleas and desires to change the culture of youth football in Wichita have consistently fallen on deaf ears.”

The statement also cited prior fights, as well as issues with littering and arguments on a weekly basis as reasons for the cancellation.

“It is our genuine hope that as a city, as a people, as a culture, we can and will do better,” said the Capital Sports Institute, which runs the league.

An investigation into the shooting was ongoing Friday. No arrests had been made and detectives were looking for a suspect who fled the stadium on foot after Nolen was shot, police said.

One of the suspect’s shoes – a distinctive yellow sneaker – was left behind at the scene before a youngster at the stadium picked it up and left with their family, KAKE reported. The gunman was also wearing a bright yellow sweatsuit, photos released by police show.

Youth football games with 12-year-old athletes and soccer matches were underway at the time of the shooting, police told the Wichita Eagle.

Football coach A.J. Bohannon wrote on Facebook that the aftermath immediately following the shooting was the “scariest moment” of his life, saying his son ran across the field with tears in his eyes while asking if his brother was OK, the newspaper reported.

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

A Texas high school football coach was fatally shot in front of children outside a sports complex during a family-related dispute, police and witnesses said.

Derwyn Lauderdale, a 29-year-old wide receivers coach and physical education teacher at Travis High School in Richmond, was shot in the abdomen Saturday in the parking lot at the Seabourne Creek Sports Complex in Rosenberg, police said.

A series of youth football games were being held at the time.

“What a sad set of circumstances that took place during this event,” Police Chief Jonathan White said in a statement. “Children came to play a game they love, only to have it ruined by a career criminal committing an act of family violence. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by this tragedy and we will pursue appropriate charges so justice may be served.”

Witnesses gave cops a detailed description of the suspected gunman, identified by authorities as James Hamilton, of Houston, who was in possession of a handgun reported stolen to Houston police when he was taken into custody, police said.

Lauderdale, also of Houston, was later pronounced dead at a hospital. Investigators believe the fatal shooting stemmed from an ongoing family-related dispute, police said.

Exactly how Hamilton and Lauderdale were related or the nature of the domestic dispute was not immediately clear, ABC News reported.

Police said Hamilton has an extensive criminal history in Harris, Brazoria and Galveston counties, where he’s been arrested for violating a protective order, unlawful carrying of a weapon and making terroristic threats.

A woman who said she witnessed the shooting told KTRK she was sitting in a car with her grandson before the boy’s game when a driver in a black Mercedes pulled into a parking lot.

The witness said Lauderdale then got out of a gray Hyundai Elantra with a child and began walking toward the Mercedes. That’s when the driver of the car, whom police identified as Hamilton, shot Lauderdale in the stomach in front of a crowd of people, including the child he was with, who started crying hysterically, KTRK reported.

Hamilton has been charged with murder, the station reported.

Lauderdale was a standout wide receiver at Southwest Baptist University, where he played from 2010 through 2014 and later joined the coaching staff, the Springfield News-Leader reported.

“We are stunned by this news,” SBU’s athletic director, Mike Pitts, said in a statement. “Derwyn had been a member of the Bearcat family for nearly a decade and we will miss him. Our hearts, thoughts and (especially) prayers go out to Derwyn’s family and to the coaches and players of SBU football.”

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Its a mad World. I did see that the Coach from Georgia is being formally charged with aggravated child abuse. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mahonz

I did see that the Coach from Georgia is being formally charged with aggravated child abuse. 

Thank goodness for that.  That the mother isn't charging him is ridiculous.  She is teaching her child a skewed sense of right and wrong.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mahonz

Its a mad World. I did see that the Coach from Georgia is being formally charged with aggravated child abuse. 

"...at the end of the day, I am a man, and I'm not going to make no excuses for what I did.  I was wrong.  I shouldn't have disciplined him, hit him in public.  I should have wait till we got back for doing for what he did."

Wow.  What an "apology."  "I shouldn't have disciplined him, hit him in public.  I should have wait till we got back for doing for what he did."

Discipline?  That's what he calls disciplining a player?  And the, "I should have waited."  What does that even mean?  He should have waited until they got back to to the hotel to slug the kid?  And then he still blames the kid "...for doing what he did."

What a piece of garbage.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

A few Savannah Gators parents are on social media defending the guy. One posted a video of the entire team crying and admonishing the world, "See what y'all did?". Kids were crying because they didn't want to play without "Coach Rell". 

I feel for these kids.

The unique intensity of football is what makes it great. However, that intensity is often used as an excuse for some to pull out all the stops on their worst behaviors.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

A few Savannah Gators parents are on social media defending the guy. One posted a video of the entire team crying and admonishing the world, "See what y'all did?". Kids were crying because they didn't want to play without "Coach Rell". 

It's because they have no idea what good coaching is supposed to look like.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

Thankfully, we had nothing close to what happened in our league this season...I saw the video of the GA cocah, and it was violent as hell...I can't even imagine...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

"Don't hit kids". Seems like a pretty straight-forward and non-controversial concept.  But check out Twitter's response to this GA coach. 99% of it wants the guy buried in an ant hill. 1% thinks that what he did was okay and that there's something wrong with the 99% for being bothered by it.

I'll probably piss a few people off with this, but I don't really care. Don't hit kids. Ever. Not your kids and especially not anyone else's kids. Yes, I include "spanking" as hitting.

As an adult, you hold every single advantage over a kid. Size, strength, skill, money, shelter, food, clothing, comfort . . . it really is a rout when you're talking about a battle of wills with a kid. If you have to resort to violence to win that battle, you are either lazy, incompetent or have some kind of mental defect. "Spanking" is violence. What if I spanked a grown man or woman because I didn't like the way they parked? I'd pick up an assault charge and anyone who heard about me doing it would wonder what the hell was wrong with me.

Why the "spanking" rant? Because as shocked as I am by what Coach Rell did, I am doubly shocked by the parents' support of his action, including the parent of the kid who got hit. It all starts with "gotta whoop your kids to keep them in line." Hey, I was "whooped" as a kid and the only reason I was able to join the military at age 19 was that I was lucky. None of my felonies stuck. If I was a psychologist, I'd probably say that half the bad stuff I did as a teen was in response to getting "whooped". My son . . . never laid a hand on him and he turned out to be a good dude. 

This would never happen because it's too politically incorrect, but if someone did a study on the effect of corporal punishment and crime, I'd be willing to bet they'd find it had the opposite of the intended effect.

Anyway, I feel really bad for these kids who probably live in an environment where getting hit in the head hard enough to knock you down is a normal response to screwing up.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

Posted by: @coachdp

The Georgia youth football coach who struck a player in the helmet twice during a game Monday has been banned for life from the American Youth Football league, according to reports.

That has done little to quell the outrage over the video that has gone viral this week.

“Ain’t no way!!! Couldn’t be my kid,” LeBron James wrote in an Instagram story Wednesday night with a screenshot of the video. “Hell, if I there and it’s not even my kid we gone have more than words for sure.”

The coach, reportedly identified as Gerrel Williams, was seen hitting a child in the head twice. The second blow knocked him to the ground during a stop in play at the AYF National Championships AA Div 1-7U in Kissimmee, Fla.

The video was sent to the Osceola County Sheriff’s Office, but the mother of the child said she did not want to press charges, according to reports.

Williams, who also worked as a detention center counselor, has since been fired from his job there, the Chatham County Sherrif’s Office told WJCL in Savannah, Ga.

“I’m not going to make no excuses for what I did,” Williams said in a video posted to his Facebook, per WJCL. “I was wrong. … There is no excuse for my actions. He forgives me and his parents have forgiven me, so nobody else should be bashing me.”

At least I know why a few AYF coaches down here told me I was too soft...

It seems the people defending him are spewing the "Well, in my day coaches did that...". I'd like to think as coaches we'd realize that just because we did something "back in the day", it doesn't make it right. H/T to @CoachDP for pointing that out to me in the preseason!

This whole story is disappointing on so many levels...

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I feel really bad for these kids who probably live in an environment where getting hit in the head hard enough to knock you down is a normal response to screwing up.

Amen.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

The whole thing is disgusting. I just can't imagine doing that to a child. Man, if that was my kid the coach would be asking Jesus for forgiveness and I would have arranged the meeting.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Anyway, I feel really bad for these kids who probably live in an environment where getting hit in the head hard enough to knock you down is a normal response to screwing up.

That's how I grew up. 

It can create a drive to get as far away from that life as possible and never look back like me, or it can create a repeat convict with a record of arson, attempted murder, drug manufacturing and dealing like my brother. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coachdp

...at the end of the day, I am a man, and I'm not going to make no excuses for what I did.  I was wrong.  I shouldn't have disciplined him, hit him in public.  I should have wait till we got back for doing for what he did."

Yah I read that as well and thought....OK....you truly are dumber than a box of rocks. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: