Notifications

Youth Football Coach Hits Child  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum
December 17, 2020 10:05 am  

I have some thoughts...I usually do, on most things.

A number of years ago, a guy who I was in the Marines with, who is one of the few people I've managed to remain in contact with over the course of my life, got into a domestic thing with his fiance and he laid hands on her.  He ended up doing some time in prison over it, losing access to his newborn son etc.  He called me numerous times following this event, as he was approaching trial and after having spent his 6 months or whatever it was in lock up.

I've never raised my hands to a woman.  I can't even think of a time when I wanted to.  As such, I couldn't understand why my buddy would do such a thing.  I also didn't criticize him over his choice...even as much as I didn't agree with it and couldn't understand it.  I did find myself questioning whether remaining friends with this guy, somehow made me complicit or my lack of criticism meant that it was tacit approval for such violence and actions.  I suppose a large part of me came to the conclusion that this is a 40 year old man, who should know better.  I did not think that me calling to attention the obvious, would do much good whatsoever.  Someone who does these sorts of things, is simply wired differently than I am.

Onto the "coach" from the video.  Never in my years of coaching did I ever have the slightest inking of wanting to strike a kid.  About the worst thing I ever did was I got extremely loud with a problem player who was being unsportsmanlike.  He was running his mouth on the sidelines about how our opponent "sucks" and I made an example out of him...this upset quite a few people and created a deep divide in an organization that was already suffering politically and financially.

I think maybe the most disturbing aspect of this video is the fact that this guy wasn't mobbed on the spot.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 17, 2020 1:50 pm  
Posted by: @prodigy

I think maybe the most disturbing aspect of this video is the fact that this guy wasn't mobbed on the spot.

Around 10 years ago, I was a guest on Kent's sideline. I witnessed a guy kick his son in the butt . . . hard. In the days leading up to this, Kent and I even exchanged a few emails about it, so it should have immediately "clicked". Sadly, I froze. I was standing 5 feet away trying to process what I just saw and if I actually saw it. In that few seconds Kent was in the guy's face and about a frog hair away from throttling him. 

Maybe that's the "normal" response and Kent being the exception human being that he is had the exceptional response.  I don't know, but the shame that I felt (and continue to feel) over that moment changed me. Now, I speak up and won't shut up. I'm sure it annoys people. 

This season I watched a ref assault 2 players, one from each team. Picked them up from the ground by their face masks. One sideline seemed to accept it. The other . . . not so much. I shared my information with the "not so much" team, but never heard from anyone. A few weeks later, same ref told me that he is facing a charge, but played it off like it was nonsense. He's lucky he isn't "Coach Rell" famous. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 17, 2020 7:23 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

This season I watched a ref assault 2 players, one from each team. Picked them up from the ground by their face masks. 

Pity there's no video.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 18, 2020 9:06 am  

I was scouting and it was such a blowout that I stopped filming. I know the team I was there to scout films everything like we do. So there might be film. I called Mahonz 5 minutes after it went down and told him this guy would never ref again. We got him the very next weekend and he actually lectured us about his ability to defend himself if anyone decided to get froggy with him.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
December 18, 2020 10:24 am  
Posted by: @prodigy

Yep. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: