Notifications
Clear all

Youth Wedge

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Last week I got a call from a local youth football coach asking if I would come by today to teach Wedge to their offensive line.  I haven't taught Wedge to anyone since 2019, when we went to Florida for the Pop Warner National Championship.  (We don't run Wedge at MCHS.)  We got Wedge installed in about 15-20 minutes.  After that, we went over three specific drills for Wedge.  Stance & Stagger, Wedge from Fit and Wedge from Stance.  They took to it like a duck to water.  They could've played today if they had a game.  It's not only been a while since I've taught Wedge, but also to kids this young.  Regardless, I left the practice wishing this was my team and that I was coaching Double Wing at the youth level again.  Hmmm....

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Seth54, 32wedge, Coyote and 1 people liked
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coachdp

I haven't taught Wedge to anyone since 2019

That was like.....yesterday.... in your long and storied career. 👍  

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mahonz

Hah, but it seems like forever.  What with Covid, and high school ball, and then we're already into this upcoming season, it feels like ages...BUT, I'm putting in Wedge this year, with our Air Raid Spread.  Yessir. 😉  And honestly, that 2019 Pop Warner National Championship game seems like it was 10 years ago...

--Dave

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 4 times by CoachDP

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

After sitting out last season, I am missing wedge install real bad!

So far, the only sure coaching gig I have been offered for this fall is moving up to JV but I am going to a youth league coaches meeting this Saturday with hopes of getting my own team or getting a coach who will tolerate me. 

Dave, if I get my own team, you are welcome to come up and head coach it if you promise not to fire me.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by 32wedge

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Posted by: @mahonz

Hah, but it seems like forever.  What with Covid, and high school ball, and then we're already into this upcoming season, it feels like ages...BUT, I'm putting in Wedge this year, with our Air Raid Spread.  Yessir. 😉  And honestly, that 2019 Pop Warner National Championship game seems like it was 10 years ago...

--Dave

I was in Hawaii on vacation but got up early to watch your game on ESPN2.

Seth54 and CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @32wedge

I was in Hawaii on vacation but got up early to watch your game on ESPN2.

I got up early that day, too. 😉 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Dave, if I get my own team, you are welcome to come up and head coach it if you promise not to fire me.

It would have to be Double Wing, Nathan. 😎 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper

We are still organizing teams within our club, but I may be an OC this year and if so I want to install wedge. I already told the guy I coached OL with last year. His line was, if we put it in we have to run it or else it will get sloppy. I don’t think he realizes how much I want to run it if it’s left to me 😎 

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

It would have to be Double Wing, Nathan. 😎 

--Dave

I have nothing but love for Double Wing. 

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

Nathan if you don't have a gig this year come on up to Maryland. I'll gladly step aside and learn for the season as long as I can run the defense! I make the best crabcakes in the state!!

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

Nathan if you don't have a gig this year come on up to Maryland. I'll gladly step aside and learn for the season as long as I can run the defense! I make the best crabcakes in the state!!

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

@rpatric

That’s extremely tempting, but it would be impossible to make the commute to work Mon-Thur.  Got eleven more years until retirement.  Might take you up on it then.

I have been offered a spot on the JV staff at the school I have coached at for 5 years, Got offered a spot on another JV staff if they have the numbers to field a JV, Got promised a meeting with a middle school coach, but I think I am going to accept a position with the 10U Virginia Savages youth team in Martinsville, Va.  The league president wants me to coach with him.  They play in a league that stretches from Greensboro, NC up to Martinsville.  I think it will be a lot of fun coaching in a youth league after 7 years of school ball.

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
Share: