10 Years of Double ...

Notifications

10 Years of Double Wing  

RSS

chupu
(@chupu)
Copper
October 30, 2019 7:52 pm  

I have been coaching youth football for the past 20 years but head coaching the Double Wing system for the past 11. I went into this past season knowing it would be my last as I would be stepping away. I wanted to thank this group for the assist all those years ago when wanting to run a system that would allow us to compete regardless of talent level.

After the first year as HC we were 2-5 so my AC and I decided to upload video from the last game of that season and post the link to the forum asking for feedback. The takeaway was "Fire your offensive coordinator". Fortunately for me, I had spent the previous 10 years as a defensive coordinator. We decided to do just that with our OC though and I spent the next nine months studying everything I could about the offense. TKO, SAB, GOOD GOD, wings in 2 point vs 3 points stances, QB footwork, practice, reps, aggression (thank you DP), philosophy, and countless hours of video of "the magic bullet offense".

Since that time, our teams have gone 82-8 where the boys ages ranged anywhere from 7 (only once thank goodness) up through 15 (3 times), making it to five semi-finals and three championships winning two of them. This is an enormous league where drafting against two other teams in our city is the norm and this year consisted of more than 180 total teams (ages 7-15), 5000 players, 1000 coaches and an accumulation of almost 1300 games played.

This past Saturday the boys finished a perfect season by going 10-0 and winning the Mini Bowl at the highest age class. Fantastic and talented group of kids who fought hard into the final minute of the game to secure a victory.

If there's a chance we are seeing the final days of the forum I wanted to move away from lurker status, if only for a post, by sharing videos from each of those games in hopes they may help someone else looking to run the offense like I was all those years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/user/chupu1212/playlists

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 30, 2019 8:07 pm  

I wanted to thank this group for the assist all those years ago when wanting to run a system that would allow us to compete regardless of talent level.

--Yes, this ^.

After the first year as HC we were 2-5 so my AC and I decided to upload video from the last game of that season and post the link to the forum asking for feedback. The takeaway was "Fire your offensive coordinator".

--Was it me that said it? 😉

I spent the next nine months studying everything I could about the offense. TKO, SAB, GOOD GOD, wings in 2 point vs 3 points stances, QB footwork, practice, reps, aggression (thank you DP), philosophy, and countless hours of video of "the magic bullet offense".

--You're welcome.  And thank you for posting your videos.

Since that time, our teams have gone 82-8 where the boys ages ranged anywhere from 7 (only once thank goodness) up through 15 (3 times), making it to five semi-finals and three championships winning two of them.

--Very impressive.

This is an enormous league where drafting against two other teams in our city is the norm and this year consisted of more than 180 total teams (ages 7-15), 5000 players, 1000 coaches and an accumulation of almost 1300 games played.

--The numbers alone make your success impressive.

This past Saturday the boys finished a perfect season by going 10-0 and winning the Mini Bowl at the highest age class. Fantastic and talented group of kids who fought hard into the final minute of the game to secure a victory.

--Congratulations and way to close it out!

If there's a chance we are seeing the final days of the forum I wanted to move away from lurker status, if only for a post, by sharing videos from each of those games in hopes they may help someone else looking to run the offense like I was all those years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/user/chupu1212/playlists

--Good stuff.  Thanks again.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bill03
(@bill03)
Copper
AC
October 31, 2019 2:50 am  

Really nice job Coach. Only watch the bowl thus far. Great game!! Congrats !

ReplyQuote
chupu
(@chupu)
Copper
November 2, 2019 7:02 am  

DP, I don't recall if it was you specifically but there were a few folks who made the call to really look into either educating or making the change there. It was the best thing we could have done because he wasn't really bought into the system (his boy was the QB).

ReplyQuote
Share: