Notifications
Clear all

2 pt vs 3 pt o line stance

Page 1 / 3

CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
Topic starter  

who has gone with the 2 pt over the traditional 3 pt and to further who has tried a 4 pt stance for the O line? What was your experience?

coachOC

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Dave Potter has gone 2 pt across the LOS. 

A 4pt stance is not recommended for offensive purposes.  Not conducive to proper movement. 

JMHO  😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We've used 2-point stance for years at the youth, middle and high school level. 

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We've also gone with the Guards in a 3-point, the Tackles in a 2-point and the TEs with whatever they were comfortable with.  Screws around with the defense, because they are never sure when you're ready.

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Rjdafoe
(@rjdafoe)
Bronze

who has gone with the 2 pt over the traditional 3 pt and to further who has tried a 4 pt stance for the O line? What was your experience?

coachOC

After reading about it on here last year, about 1/2 way through the season I switched to a 2 point stance.  It seemed to work for us much better.  The second half of the season we moved the ball a little better and the blocking was better and a little quicker get off.

ReplyQuote
CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold

A 4pt stance is not recommended for offensive purposes.  Not conducive to proper movement. 

JMHO  😉

Actually, it is rare but I have seen it used quite effectively ... it really only works for those offenses that are going STRAIGHT AHEAD ... really tough to pull or reach or anything ... but if you are just diving ahead or running power leads it can be brutally effective ...

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

"Football may be the best-taught subject in American High Schools because it may be the only subject that we haven't tried to make easy."

~Dorothy Farnan
  Former English Department Chairman
  Erasmus Hall High School - Brooklyn, New York

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Actually, it is rare but I have seen it used quite effectively ... it really only works for those offenses that are going STRAIGHT AHEAD ... really tough to pull or reach or anything ... but if you are just diving ahead or running power leads it can be brutally effective ...

yah I had only mentioned it because I had seen it used before with a I formation team and once with a power T team. Your right no pulling

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

i've seen it used by the lead Fullback, as well.

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

i've seen it used by the lead Fullback, as well.

I have seen this as well.  As JJ points out, it is a straight line stance not conducive to movement.  As such more of a defensive posture as, in most cases, we are attacking a Gap regardless of who is or isnt there.  For most folks I dont think a 4pt stance is something to use on the OLine.

Part of the reason Dave advocates a 2 point stance is there isnt a lot of wasted time getting the stances perfected.  When you consider the number of kids who look like Giraffes getting a drink or Frogs takin a dump.  ??? The 2 point stance is worth a look.    ;D 

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Liberty Hill hs, I looked them up on youtube to look at some slot-T and wouldnt ya know it they have the entire team in a 4 pt stance...all but the QB! and their pullin all over the place

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Liberty Hill hs, I looked them up on youtube to look at some slot-T and wouldnt ya know it they have the entire team in a 4 pt stance...all but the QB! and their pullin all over the place

All I have to say is go for it!!    😀 ???

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

From the little I've seen of slot T, although they do pull, they make much less use of cross- and angle blocking than in wing T.

ReplyQuote
Hogfan47
(@hogfan47)
Copper

We made the switch to 2 point last year and I was extremely happy we did. It works great, especially for the bigger (size) boys.

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
Topic starter  

does anybody have access to info or personal experience in the D linemen coming in low vs your 2 pt stance? The reason I ask is, I would think that a DC having seen our line would attempt this, is it even a problem?

ReplyQuote
rozelle25
(@rozelle25)
Bronze

To me, it depends on the age. I won't let my 9 year olds do it-they'll come off the line way too high.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: