Notifications

Anyone seen or used the OPL line blocking rule  

RSS

IMMIRU
(@immiru)
Copper
Head Coach
April 2, 2020 10:17 pm  

So there I was ... isolated ... on day whatever of no school and I was looking at a dead T Formation power scheme playbook.  The author used OPL (on-play side gap-linebacker) as the majority rule on several plays.  Has anyone seen or used OPL vs a GOD or GOOD oe Inside-On-free or ring around the rosie rule.  It almost read as a pseudo zone without counting.  Any help would be great.

32wedge liked
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
April 2, 2020 10:39 pm  

If the blocker is targeting and driving through the play side shoulder of the defender he is blocking, that is my rule for reaching on outside runs.  I just call it REACH to the players.

I ran Dead T before joining the Single Wing Cult.  I love that offense.  You might use a reach/stretch scheme on the Keep play, but no where else in that offense.

I have the Olivet playbooks and manuals but they taught blocking fronts and that’s tough to do in youth ball because you never know how the other guys are going to line up.

I always thought an Inside Gap/On/LB rule inside the point of attack and a Gap/Down/Backer at the point of attack with backside guard pulling was the best way to block traps and power.  Then on Keep, The TE would also block GOL.  That’s how I would teach it.

Great offense.  If you run it, please keep us up to date on how it goes.  I would be happy to help anyway I can.

ReplyQuote
IMMIRU
(@immiru)
Copper
Head Coach
April 2, 2020 10:57 pm  

@32wedge Thanks for the the thoughts.  I ran UBSW for a long time before changing to option out of the flexbone.  Numbers are really down at school so I was looking at going back to UBSW or DW.  I had also run Bay City T several years back but only for a season because I moved. 

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
April 2, 2020 11:08 pm  

@immiru

I think JJ Lawson (maybe someone else) ran a shifting offense, similar to the Notre Dame Box, where his team came to the line in Power T formation and either ran Dead T or shifted to double tight Balanced Line Single Wing left or right and ran straight series Single Wing plays with the same blocking schemes as the Dead T plays.  I have had that in the back of my head for 10 years or so thinking about trying that.

I just think you have to have better players in the Dead T and to run balanced line.  I have not had a wealth of talent for a few years now. Better players makes every offense better, but I can chug along in the unbalanced Single Wing with less talent.

ReplyQuote
Lucky7
(@lucky7)
Copper
April 30, 2020 11:03 pm  
Posted by: @32wedge

@immiru

I think JJ Lawson (maybe someone else) ran a shifting offense, similar to the Notre Dame Box, where his team came to the line in Power T formation and either ran Dead T or shifted to double tight Balanced Line Single Wing left or right and ran straight series Single Wing plays with the same blocking schemes as the Dead T plays.  I have had that in the back of my head for 10 years or so thinking about trying that.

I just think you have to have better players in the Dead T and to run balanced line.  I have not had a wealth of talent for a few years now. Better players makes every offense better, but I can chug along in the unbalanced Single Wing with less talent.

I actually like that idea. I’ve had a year of running both offenses and honestly like the advantages both can give. There’s just something awesome about watching the way the dead T works. In one game 2 years ago our fullback scored touchdowns on our first two offensive plays, both about 60 yards. But, I also liked the single wing. Previous years I had run plays both under center and direct snap/shotgun. I like the idea of having both offenses.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
May 1, 2020 9:04 am  
Posted by: @lucky7
Posted by: @32wedge

@immiru

I actually like that idea. I’ve had a year of running both offenses and honestly like the advantages both can give. There’s just something awesome about watching the way the dead T works. In one game 2 years ago our fullback scored touchdowns on our first two offensive plays, both about 60 yards. But, I also liked the single wing. Previous years I had run plays both under center and direct snap/shotgun. I like the idea of having both offenses.

I like having some of both in one formation, where you can snap the ball to either the QB or a deep back, whether you do that by having the QB stand sidesaddle, snapping thru his legs while he faces forward, or any of the other expedients teams have used since forever.  Why give the defense even as much as a second to see which style of play is coming at them?

ReplyQuote
Share: