Clear all

At what Age?  

Page 1 / 3

2ez
 2ez
(@2ez)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Does being the best team in the league matter?

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Ez

In our League...all ages. It sets what Division you play in and what scheduling seed you get and in some Orgs its sets the draft order. You are rewarded for being the best.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver

It starts with being the cutest baby in the hospital nursery and only gets more important from there.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Come the hell on.

I think part of our problem here is that we REFUSE to let kids be kids.  Yes I want to win, indeed undefeated in my goal.  However, in the grand scheme of life if they lose all their games when they are 7 or 10 do ya really think they will remember?

Real key, at least to me, is are they better kids for having played?  Do they understand how pushing themselves benefits them?  Will they be more proactive in their own fate as a result of having played?

Guys not everyone we coach will continue to play our game. Some really shouldn't either.  If nothing else, they should know that it doesnt make a difference about our game it does, however, make a difference in life.  Those who push themselves hard will indeed make a difference. 

Why do I say this? 

One of my former players served a tour in the Desert recently.  He has come home to his wife who gave birth a week ago to a son at 21 weeks gestation.  For those who cannot do the math he is 14 weeks premature.  That young man has not left their side.  These are the things that are important in life.

Are they good kids, are they good students, how do they treat others, is what you pass on a lesson beyond the filed?

Dusty 

Keep It In Perspective Gentlemen!!

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
2ez
 2ez
(@2ez)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Coach there are many more important things in life than winning and losing.  However, to suggest that it doesn't matter I would say is false.  Winning and losing may be the difference in a player coming back that needs the stability football and organized activities can bring.  The positive reinforcement at a young age that if you work hard good things will happen.  Losing isn't going to kill anyone but Winning can build confidence in young players that can last a lifetime. 

Always keep it in perspective and Teach the kids the right way to play the game......

EZ

ReplyQuote
Coach D
(@coach-d)
Bronze

I agree with everything CoachShad has said, but aren't we trying to install, to some degree, the effort or will to be the best?  Most people know instinctively that they aren't going to be the best ever, but isn't part of the fun to try?  To dream of being the best?  When we play the games whether it be on the field or around a table with a board game or playing X-box, don't we play to win?  Sure part of the experience is the relationships you make while playing, but have you ever been part of a game where one or more people kinda just gave up?  That is no fun either!  Why do we work so hard (for little to no money most of us) to read up on defenses and offenses and why do we come on here to learn how to be better coaches? 

We play a team this week, that is clearly the best team in the league.  We've (the ACs and I) have schemed up the perfect way to win.  We are good enough to knock them off.  I'm stressing and pushing and preaching all week how we can do it.  If we do it, it will be one of the cooler moments in my coaching career - but not just for me.  We will be able to say that for one day we were the best, and that goes from my star kids who have a shot at going somewhere in this sport, to the very last kid who will only get in for a few plays.  To me, that is part of the fun, and also part of why it rips your heart out to lose. 

I keep it in perspective.  I want these guys to become awesome, respectable, unselfish and giving men.  Part of that I believe, is in trying to be the best you can be at whatever it is you are doing. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I don’t spend 200 hours per year coaching a team to watch them suck.

They better win more then they lose…or they are fired.

You sign up to play….yer mine for 100 days. I own you. 

Now where are my meds damn-it.  😉

I'd rather win that's for sure but I will admit our League's structure is a bit too serious in some areas. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Folkses:

I am not saying we dont give them everything we have while they are in our tutelage.  I spend at least another 40 hours a week during the season between coaching, mowing, striping, and being there all day or night at home games.  I am all in and, yes, I do hand out discipline. 

That being said I have seen far to much from Coaches and Parents with regards to eating a kids ass out because they don't live up to their expectation of a Football Player.  I have seen kids get tossed like rag dolls, Grabbed by the face mask and dragged, Screamed at like some Marine Corps DI crushing their sense of self.  Their Fing (Insert age here), nothing on earth gets the old bear riled up quicker. 

I have had some really bad football players who were really great kids! Most just looking to be a part of something because they had nothing else.  I can live with myself if Timmy is happy just to be around.  He will learn something about himself in spite of his lack of ability.  Even if he shows up and goes through the motions, its worth it to me.  Frustrating?  Hell Yes!  But still worth it.

Lets not forget that the simple fact they are showing up and putting forth some effort makes them better than the kids sitting at home not willing to try. 

Kudo's to my sons High School Coach who says that very thing to all the players, regardless of talent.  The fact that you are here, working hard, and pushing yourselves, makes you better than any kids in the stands on Friday night!! 

Hope my elaboration makes a bit more sense.

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

It matters to those kids....you can preach and teach otherwise, but you teaching them at any age that being the best isnt important? is at best naive.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I don’t spend 200 hours per year coaching a team to watch them suck.

They better win more then they lose…or they are fired.

You sign up to play….yer mine for 100 days. I own you.

Yeah, that's pretty much the way I look at it.  Regardless of the age group. 

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

It is important...but is it the most important thing? Not by any stretch of the imagination...

I have witnessed Super Bowl winning teams in my league come screaming apart the next season...they were the best...but egos got in the way. I have witnessed winless teams return 90% of their players...because there was teaching and learning going on.

If winning is your sole focus, then you are doing it wrong...boys have to be taught how to win and how to lose...because in life, they are going to do both. And their lives are going to go on way longer than they are going to be able to play the game.

All that said, I beleive that if you focus on the imortant things, Honor, Courage, Dedication, Hard Work, Sacrafice, Team, and combine it with teaching the boys how to properly play the game, then the scoreboard will take care of itself  🙂

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

It is important...but is it the most important thing? Not by any stretch of the imagination...

I have witnessed Super Bowl winning teams in my league come screaming apart the next season...they were the best...but egos got in the way. I have witnessed winless teams return 90% of their players...because there was teaching and learning going on.

If winning is your sole focus, then you are doing it wrong...boys have to be taught how to win and how to lose...because in life, they are going to do both. And their lives are going to go on way longer than they are going to be able to play the game.

All that said, I beleive that if you focus on the imortant things, Honor, Courage, Dedication, Hard Work, Sacrafice, Team, and combine it with teaching the boys how to properly play the game, then the scoreboard will take care of itself  🙂

It is the most important, but so many little things go into winning, that even the smallest detail cost you...like courage, hard work, sacrafice, team, reps......And the coach can only so much.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

It matters to those kids....you can preach and teach otherwise, but you teaching them at any age that being the best isnt important? is at best naive.

So the 40 kids on my team who finish second are now losers?  I am not going to humiliate, emabarass or make a player "tough".  I do not accept conduct from coaches that I would not accept from teachers.  Loudmouth, hothead coaches have no place in youth sports, even if they "win".  As Dave Cisar says ( i am paraphrasing)  and as I have adopted as my own, winning and having fun are not mutually exclusive. A good yoth coach will:
1. Create a love and enthusiasm for the game of football
2. Maximize the potential of the team by maximizing the potential of each individual
3. To teach the basics of blocking and tackling

Todd

Todd

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

So the 40 kids on my team who finish second are now losers?  I am not going to humiliate, emabarass or make a player "tough".  I do not accept conduct from coaches that I would not accept from teachers.  Loudmouth, hothead coaches have no place in youth sports, even if they "win".  As Dave Cisar says ( i am paraphrasing)  and as I have adopted as my own, winning and having fun are not mutually exclusive. A good yoth coach will:
1. Create a love and enthusiasm for the game of football
2. Maximize the potential of the team by maximizing the potential of each individual
3. To teach the basics of blocking and tackling

Todd

Its not about calling kids out, or calling them losers. THEY ALREADY FEEL AND KNOW FAILURE....THEY DIDNT SUCCEED, THEY ARE NOT THE BEST, Just as they know the score on a scoreboard that doesnt exsist. All of that without a single person telling them any of it. Your job from the second you meet those kids is to teach how to win......part of winning is how they deal with failure and you must teach it.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Your job from the second you meet those kids is to teach how to win......part of winning is how they deal with failure and you must teach it.

In a nutshell:  I gotta say that I agree with this statement, completely.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: