Notifications
Clear all

At what Age?  

Page 2 / 3

Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

.........part of winning is how they deal with failure and you must teach it.

Not sure what that means.  But you are passionate and who am I to question or it will flame the fire higher. 

Todd

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Not sure what that means.  But you are passionate and who am I to question or it will flame the fire higher.

every kid at some is going to suffer defeat somewhere in life. Defeat can just as easily be the word adversity. And it can be as simple as doing the drill. Some kids that single failure will eat them alive until they succeed at it. and it will affect every phase of every practice for them, and pending who that kid is, can and will destroy your practice. Other kids think nothing of it and accept it, and you must teach that neither is acceptable..EVER.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Not sure what that means.

I feel that way about many of Tebow's posts.  lol  What I took from it is that we are responsible for teaching them the importance of winning and losing.  Many coaches just assume that kids want to win and when they lose, the coaches accuse the kids of "not wanting it badly enough," or some equally stupid statement.  Kids want to win, but they need to know whether you think it's important.  If they think it's not important to you, then it won't be as important to them.  If they know that it's important to you, it will also be to them.  I think many coaches are often afraid to tell their players how important it is, and then they just somehow hope they're going to want to win without it being emphasized.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach D
(@coach-d)
Bronze

So maybe we can agree that it isn't about teaching a kid that he/she has to be the best, but that what is important is "going for" being the best.  It isn't a results thing as much as it is an aim thing...

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

So maybe we can agree that it isn't about teaching a kid that he/she has to be the best, but that what is important is "going for" being the best.  It isn't a results thing as much as it is an aim thing...

ALL KIDS WANT TO BE THE BEST...its your job, within your skill set, to teach how to accomplish being the best. ITs no different than being a parent.They may not like it, they may not like you, but this isnt about being liked. Its about what is best for the kid and the team.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

It isn't a results thing as much as it is an aim thing...

Depends on what you want your point of emphasis to be.  Me?  I am more "results oriented.'

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

Being the best, always matters.  Moreso "the pursuit of" than the actual title.  When does anyone approach any task with the intention to "be mediocre"?

I could rant for at least an hour on this topic and I've already wasted probably 20 minutes trying to craft a well-thought out response (thank you for that).  I coach 7-9's which is the youngest age group allowed by the league.  The league doesn't allow playoffs for the 7-9s.  There are special rules to give the offense an advantage / higher probability to score and all of this is done to keep it "instructional" and "fun" for these young fellers.  Yet, the scores and standings are still tracked by the league and if you slaughter an opponent you have to write an apology letter.

In this league, there are teams that are undefeated and there are teams that have not won a single game...there are teams that haven't scored a single touchdown.

What does it say about you as a coach or your organization when your team cannot score a single touchdown?  Is it the players?  No, it's the coaching.  It's also very typical that if your 7-9 year old team isn't great and suffers from poor coaching, that the older teams in the same association/organization aren't going to be great either.

Now ask yourself if you were a player on a team that consistently got its' butt kicked, couldn't score a touchdown, wasn't competitive in the least bit...would you have fun playing football?  Is that A GAME?  Is it a game when the odds are stacked so heavily against you that you have a higher liklihood of being struck by lightening than scoring a touchdown?

On the flipside of the coin...what if you play for a competitive team?  Where you earn a place on the team, where the team stands a fighting chance against any other team in the league?  Who would you rather play for?  the 8-0 team, the 4-4 team or the 0-8 team?  On what team do you think you'd learn the most?  On what team would you learn the most about how to play football?  What about learning about team?  Which "team" would be the most value to the young athlete?

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Being the best, always matters.  When does anyone approach any task with the intention to "be mediocre"?

all the time. the coach that blames his team for losing? he is doing it. The kid who gets a c in his best subject is doing it...the kid who is a d-1 athlete as a freshman and shows up to lift when he wants is doing it....It happens all the time...
The coach who lowers expectation is doing it....AGAIn, You dont get to be in the 1 pct by chance. Most 1 pct'rs are not by any means the most talented.Certainly not in the 1 pct of most talented people.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

all the time. the coach that blames his team for losing? he is doing it. The kid who gets a c in his best subject is doing it...the kid who is a d-1 athlete as a freshman and shows up to lift when he wants is doing it....It happens all the time...
The coach who lowers expectation is doing it....AGAIn, You dont get to be in the 1 pct by chance. Most 1 pct'rs are not by any means the most talented.Certainly not in the 1 pct of most talented people.

If you're going to quote me, don't erase part of what I said please.  It's changes the context of what was being said.

Being the best, always matters.  Moreso "the pursuit of" than the actual title.   When does anyone approach any task with the intention to "be mediocre"?

A kid that scores a C in his best subject is not applying himself, the PURSUIT is not there, the DESIRE to be the best is not there.  The kid that is a D1 athlete who misses training camp or doesn't life is doing the same thing.

When I'm not coaching youth football, I'm a competitive powerlifter.  I LIVE the sport.  Everything I eat, drink, my sleep habits, how long I'm training...all of this preperation goes into a competition that is 8-12 weeks out.  Will I ever be "THE BEST WHO EVER LIVED"?  Highly unlikely, I accept that, but I am able to improve MYSELF and be the best version of MYSELF through hardwork and discipline.

If I just lifted casually, stayed up late drinking booze each night etc...is that me applying myself?  Is that really demonstrating a desire to be the best?  Also to my point, would I be approaching the competition with the AIM to be mediocre?  Not really...but I'm certainly not doing what I can to be the best.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

the coach that blames his team for losing?
The coach who lowers expectation is doing it.

Tebow is hitting them out of the park, today.  I don't think some coaches realize how low they are aiming for.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Tebow is hitting them out of the park, today.  I don't think some coaches realize how low they are aiming for.

--Dave

Dave

Agreed. I had a feeling there was some genius in TT's brain.  8)

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

If you're going to quote me, don't erase part of what I said please.  It's changes the context of what was being said.

A kid that scores a C in his best subject is not applying himself, the PURSUIT is not there, the DESIRE to be the best is not there.  The kid that is a D1 athlete who misses training camp or doesn't life is doing the same thing.

When I'm not coaching youth football, I'm a competitive powerlifter.  I LIVE the sport.  Everything I eat, drink, my sleep habits, how long I'm training...all of this preperation goes into a competition that is 8-12 weeks out.  Will I ever be "THE BEST WHO EVER LIVED"?  Highly unlikely, I accept that, but I am able to improve MYSELF and be the best version of MYSELF through hardwork and discipline.

If I just lifted casually, stayed up late drinking booze each night etc...is that me applying myself?  Is that really demonstrating a desire to be the best?  Also to my point, would I be approaching the competition with the AIM to be mediocre?  Not really...but I'm certainly not doing what I can to be the best.

I dont mean to take what you said out of context. I apologize.You just said what I said. and proved people show up all the time without the intention of being the best. Whether you get there is not the issue. The issue is do you understand what it takes to be the best? (not you personally)Most people havent a clue. Especially 5-6-7 yr olds all the way through hs aged kids.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

--Dave

Coming from you, only having an inkling of who you are, THAT MIGHT BE THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT I HAVE EVER BEEN PAID. THANK YOU!

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

Coming from you, only having an inkling of who you are, THAT MIGHT BE THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT I HAVE EVER BEEN PAID. THANK YOU!

Who is Dave Potter?  Is that Harry's Uncle?

ReplyQuote
Coach D
(@coach-d)
Bronze

Listen - I HATE losing.  I can't stand it!  I want to win every game and I want to have the best team and I want to be called the best coach ever!  My point in bringing up "aim" as opposed to the actual "results" is because most of us will never coach "the best".  Most of these kids can't be the best.  In fact, 90% of my team are better suited for other sports anyway.  I have a couple kids that have great potential in basketball and while they do good on the football field, they would say their true love is basketball.  Purely results focus to me, seems like it will feed feelings of failure when it either doesn't happen, or when a kid knows in his heart it won't ever happen.  Otherwise, I'm never putting a kid on the field who isn't the best I've got at that position, or in other words MPP kids might as well stay home.  So aren't we teaching more than that?  More than winning?  And if we are, than that is all I was trying to say about "aim" and not just "results".  We always aim to win - always!  We push hard all week to win!  But we also push to get better, to dig deeper, to grow as an athlete and a person, to make great memories, to kill the quit inside of us, to become men!  The scoreboard won't always reflect that stuff! 

A mom told me the other day that her kid wasn't going to play until he heard I was the coach.  She thanked me for helping him feel excepted and part of something bigger than him even though he is absolutely terrible at football - terrible at all sports frankly.  Everyday I watch this kid as I push him, and everyday I tell him, "dude - you're getting better everyday!" and he gives me that cool little nod!  The team has excepted him, he feels better walking through the hallways at school and he is going to be a great - correction - IS a great person.  When that kid grows up to be a doctor or a lawyer (pretty sure he will be) he'll look back and say, "I had the best coach in middle school" and it won't have anything to do with our record. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: