Notifications
Clear all

At what Age?  

Page 3 / 3

Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Listen - I HATE losing.  I can't stand it!  I want to win every game and I want to have the best team and I want to be called the best coach ever!  My point in bringing up "aim" as opposed to the actual "results" is because most of us will never coach "the best".  Most of these kids can't be the best.  In fact, 90% of my team are better suited for other sports anyway.  I have a couple kids that have great potential in basketball and while they do good on the football field, they would say their true love is basketball.  Purely results focus to me, seems like it will feed feelings of failure when it either doesn't happen, or when a kid knows in his heart it won't ever happen.  Otherwise, I'm never putting a kid on the field who isn't the best I've got at that position, or in other words MPP kids might as well stay home.  So aren't we teaching more than that?  More than winning?  And if we are, than that is all I was trying to say about "aim" and not just "results".  We always aim to win - always!  We push hard all week to win!  But we also push to get better, to dig deeper, to grow as an athlete and a person, to make great memories, to kill the quit inside of us, to become men!  The scoreboard won't always reflect that stuff! 

A mom told me the other day that her kid wasn't going to play until he heard I was the coach.  She thanked me for helping him feel excepted and part of something bigger than him even though he is absolutely terrible at football - terrible at all sports frankly.  Everyday I watch this kid as I push him, and everyday I tell him, "dude - you're getting better everyday!" and he gives me that cool little nod!  The team has excepted him, he feels better walking through the hallways at school and he is going to be a great - correction - IS a great person.  When that kid grows up to be a doctor or a lawyer (pretty sure he will be) he'll look back and say, "I had the best coach in middle school" and it won't have anything to do with our record.

You and a lot of others are missing the point. All this other stuff, including the final score, records is not tangible. Has no real meaning.
But if you can teach your kids how to win through every day living, you have something  far more dangerous talent and will be far more lasting than any score or records.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I want to be called the best coach ever!

Okay.  You're the best coach ever.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

--Dave

Crap Missed Again!! 

:'( :'( :'(

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Listen - I HATE losing.  I can't stand it!  I want to win every game and I want to have the best team and I want to be called the best coach ever!  My point in bringing up "aim" as opposed to the actual "results" is because most of us will never coach "the best". 

Coach

You dont have to coach the best to have incredibly successful teams- both on and off the field. I see teams chalked full of great talent getting beat every weekend by teams with less athletes.

You dont have to have the best athletes to be a great coach- not in the least
In fact, I have greater respect for the guys who win with little, than the guys coaching Deon Sanders Select teams- which BTW do get beat every year

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Personally I like it when the opponent gives us little credence.  I like being challenged as such. 

I had this group of kids for 5 years made the playoffs 4 of 5 season, Played in the Championship one year.  Best finish 5-3 worst finish 4-4.  The thing is that each year we played better and better in spite of our relatively low numbers and size.  Never had more than 28 points in a game for the first 4 years, this season we hit 40+ 3 times.  Defensively we continued to play tough against squads who rolled two sets of offenses and defenses out against us. 

Biggest difference? For the first time this group had a of Coaches (5) rather than 2 which allowed us to spend so much more quality time with individual positions.  That asset showed brightly!! 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Coach D
(@coach-d)
Bronze

--Dave

Thanks Dave, I knew my Mom wasn't the only one who thought that  ;D ;D ;D

You and a lot of others are missing the point. All this other stuff, including the final score, records is not tangible. Has no real meaning.
But if you can teach your kids how to win through every day living, you have something  far more dangerous talent and will be far more lasting than any score or records.

I thought that was what I was saying...

This is one of those threads where we are arguing the same thing in different ways.    😀

ReplyQuote
kcdeer
(@kcdeer)
Bronze

Imagine if you can that every team of 8-year-olds was in a huge national tournament, win or go home and there were 10,000 teams entered.  Exactly one of those teams could legitimately say they won the tournament, the other 9,999 would be losers at some level.  Does this mean that the other 9,999 teams had bad coaches, bad talent, did not learn enough about how to win, did not exhibit enough desire, did not display enough of every other admirable trait that football reveals?  Absolutely not.  Yes, there are winners and losers in all walks of life, but not everything you do is geared that way.  Sometimes you just make yourself a ham and cheese on rye, you are not trying to make a better one than Emeril Lagasse, you are just hungry and want to stuff one down your gullet.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

Imagine if you can that every team of 8-year-olds was in a huge national tournament, win or go home and there were 10,000 teams entered.  Exactly one of those teams could legitimately say they won the tournament, the other 9,999 would be losers at some level.  Does this mean that the other 9,999 teams had bad coaches, bad talent, did not learn enough about how to win, did not exhibit enough desire, did not display enough of every other admirable trait that football reveals?  Absolutely not.  Yes, there are winners and losers in all walks of life, but not everything you do is geared that way.  Sometimes you just make yourself a ham and cheese on rye, you are not trying to make a better one than Emeril Lagasse, you are just hungry and want to stuff one down your gullet.

You obviously haven't tasted my ham and cheese.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: