Best Offense for a ...

Notifications
Clear all

Best Offense for a REALLY Slow Team?

Page 2 / 3

Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

Power I -wishbone -double wing-single wing those are your options coach.

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

If you've got a couple of tough runners I like splitback veer. The DE's are naturally going to fall back inside and try to make a lot of arm tackles on these kids. So if they run hard, they will gain 3-4 yards consistently.

If you've only got one kid like that, go to an I or flexbone set and run midline and veer out of that. 

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
mjm7179
(@mjm7179)
Bronze

Power, Speed or Misdirection.  SW with Mouse or Spinner is a combination of Power and Misdirection. Two birds one stone.

"You can't win a game if you don't score any points." - John Madden

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

Hello

I would like your opinions on the best offense suited for a youth 5/6 grade football team that is slower than the other teams in the league. We don't even have one fast kid, just a bunch of slow, tough kids. We ALWAYS get caught from behind if we even are lucky enough to break one. Thanks for your input!

I feel your pain coach.  My fastest guys are usually 4.8 or 4.9 when they aren't tired but typically run in the 5.1 range.  WE run double wing.  If you cant base  your game on speed, then base it on superior numbers and MASS MOMENTUM at the point of attack.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

I If you cant base  your game on speed, then base it on superior numbers and MASS MOMENTUM at the point of attack.

This

And you may want to check the water as to why other kids are always faster than your area kids.
If the water checks out fine you may want to look into Clarks Speed drills. I have used them for my players for quite some time and it doesn't make your team blazing fast when you have slow, but you can increase the speed of a typical slow player.
What I saw in previous years was it didn't really make my fast guys faster it just lessened the gap between the fastest and the slowest. Overall team speed increased enough where I will spend time to accomplish it.
ie. its not a waste of time.

good luck

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Just thought of something as I posted....
Youre asking for an offense for a team that is slow.

You might want to think about milking the clock for every second because if you don't have some speed on defense you may not win a single game

Speed drills is what you really need
and a clock milking offense like the DW, wishbone whatever....... just don't score quick

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

For the physically AND mentally slow....the Beast will get the job done.

I'd be more concerned with what to do on Defense though.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

I've never coached that age, but I imagine that a simple T formation would work really well with the FB diving opposite the play side.

I also think the Single Wing is a no brainier. It's by far the simplest thing you can run with huge misdirection.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

I agree with the clock management statements.  Run the wedge and/or DW Super Power to slowly drive down the field, 5 yds at a time.  Run the Beast when you need a big money play or after you lost yards due to a fumble, etc...

On Defense, learn to jam receivers so they don't outrun your Corners.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

just don't score quick

Don't avoid quick scores.  A kickoff is hardly ever worth more than a TD!  If there were some way to be sure you'd score while using up a certain amount of time, your team would be so dominant it wouldn't matter anyway.  Otherwise, if you try to pull up in some way, you're likely just to give up the ball without scoring.

There is one way I advocate a kind of pulling up your horse, regardless of whether your team is fast or slow, but I don't emphasize it because it's not likely to come up often.  On an early down, if you're running near a sideline and see you're going to be squeezed out of bounds very near the 1st down marker, go out slightly before it rather than slightly beyond it.  That gives you a waste down.  If you run the ball the next down, you're likely to get a 1st down beyond where you would've gotten the 1st down on the previous down; if you throw an incomplete pass, you're still in short yardage on the next down.

ReplyQuote
Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver

Power I -wishbone -double wing-single wing those are your options coach.

I agree with Coach Correa grind it out.  If you have slow on offense my guess is you have slow on defense so you want to keep the ball away.  I like wishbone but have used Cisar's UBSW there is a lot of information on it and support but not so much with the wishbone.  There is also the power T.  Also from Cisar I have used wrist coaches where you have the players line up on the line with no huddle and you control the clock by sending in the play when you are ready that way you can speed up or slow down the game.

check out http://www.coaches-clinic.com/If any thing goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. ~Paul Bear Bryant

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

Oh boy, I have lived this situation.

Mike and Robert really touched on the main issue with a slow team and is the affect it will have on your defensive play, but that is another question for another time.

Speed is often a luxury for an offense and can be neutralized with constrictive and discipline defensive play by your opponent.

Any offense will work if you can develop QUICKNESS and consistent EXECUTION.  While offense like the DW and SW offer a tight O-line, you will still have to get to your blocks through some of the long pulls. Both quickness and execution will be key to making those offenses go.

An Option based or misdirection type offense may suit you well too.  Creating hesitation or providing false reads can slow down the defense of your opponent enough for you to get the positive a yards you will need to grind it out down the field.

How is your O-line?  Are the capable of blocking 1-on-1?, can they hold and stress through their blocks? Do you think they can be 2nd level blockers?

Maybe an offense that creates consist double teams at the point of attack is what you need.

Anyways, I am about three months to late with my contribution.  🙂

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

If you have a REALLY slow team, scoring quickly is not going to be a concern but trying to avoid that is silly. Score when you can. The offense you run won't really matter as long as you can move the chains. Heck, run spread as long as you can get first downs. The issue will be whether your defense can stop the opponent. I would get very good at onside kicks. That is the best and easiest way to keep the ball out of your opponents hands. Being slow is not as much of a problem on offense as much as it is on defense. Not even close.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Being slow is not as much of a problem on offense as much as it is on defense. Not even close.

Some just say it better than I do  ;D

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Some just say it better than I do  ;D

Did you say that already? Ooops. Oh well, better to hear it more than once.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: