RSS

rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
September 14, 2019 2:33 pm  

We are playing teams that blitz every gap every play each week! Our linemen just aren't able to make the blocks and our offense just moves backwards!!!
I'm the d coordinator and our defense is stout, but i can't help but be frustrated. Our oc keeps trying to run full house and we're getting killed.
What do you do when you can't get out of the backfield???

Majortom
(@majortom)
Bronze
September 14, 2019 3:05 pm  

One way to try to get the OC to add or change what he is doing to handle these blitzing teams is to run scout Defense vs his Offense and make sure when you do it you are making it known that this is how competition will line up, blitz from etc and run that for awhile. Do not just do it to kill his plays initially you have to know what the big picture is first.
Maybe he will wake up and call time out on you and draw a play up to beat that. Then you jump up and down (quietly) and go hey thats a great play, run that again. Before you know it the light is going off.
I have coached with guys a few times that say they are running this or that and I see the weakness, make a suggestion or 2 then normally have to wait for the right moment to show him why he needs to coach something up a certain way or add an adjustment or play to defeat what is likely coming. May take a few games unfortunately depending on your social skills. (not one of my better areas when it come to this)
I am actually doing this right now with my current HC/OC. He has always had a wishbone package of plays. (I knew when I heard him callingl the T formation Trips a few years ago that I would have to spoon feed him and be careful) He has for the last few years always doubled the DE when running off tackle with sometimes no lead blocker or maybe 1 in full house.  I gave him video of the last game showing him that our TE's or FB are good enough to kick that contain DE/OL by themselves and to lead thru. I think it will take another game and a practice to convince him. BUT I AM NOT PUSHING TOO HARD or I will be the problem.
Tom
Tom

14th year youth coach 7-12 yr olds

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
September 14, 2019 5:18 pm  

We are playing teams that blitz every gap every play each week! Our linemen just aren't able to make the blocks and our offense just moves backwards!!!
I'm the d coordinator and our defense is stout, but i can't help but be frustrated. Our oc keeps trying to run full house and we're getting killed.

The kids you coach are older than mine, but I'd suggest tightening the splits. We run zero splits combined with SAB / GDB blocking. This makes the holes smaller for the linebackers to blitz through.

I also agree with Major Tom on presenting to the head coach. It's one thing to make a suggestion... it's another to demonstrate why it's a problem.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 14, 2019 5:35 pm  

I'd suggest tightening the splits.

^

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 14, 2019 5:36 pm  

What do you do when you can't get out of the backfield?

Teach a real offense?

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
September 14, 2019 7:44 pm  

OK, if they're blitzing every gap...

First, cut your splits down--1' or less is necessary and 6" is fine to keep them from stepping on each others' feet.

Back your OL off the ball as far as legally allowed.  I like to have them put their hand down even with the C's heel.  This depth gives them a little room to work vs. hard blitzes.

Teach your OL to block on tracks and gaps, not men--run your track, pick up whatever trahs shows in it.  Get your head across--get it in front on down blocks to cut off penetration and outside on reach blocks to get leverage to hook the defender.  Forget about double teams against heavy blitzes, as kids will usually take their eyes off their gap and just let a blitzer blow by them.  Pulling is probably also not going to work unless you have someone to fill for the puller, in which case it usually becomes a wash.

Vary your cadence.  I like simply running freeze plays, then checking to something else at the line if they don't jump.  It's much easier to say "don't move at all" than "go on 2."  This will help slow down the blitzes and give your OL a chance to pick them up.

If you want to run the ball, try to extend the blocking surface by adding a TE and maybe a WB.  You can create up to 10 gaps this way (really 11, if you're ok with doing this AND being empty).  If they want to literally send 10 or 11, all you need to do is get a 1 step drop and hit a single pop pass or flat for a TD.

If you want to throw the ball, spread them out and use bunch sets to make it hard on them to just man up.  This should help to pull bodies out of the box and not just pin their ears back and send 6.  Work on quick "catch and throw" routes like hitches, slants, and fades.  If they try to press and man you up in a wide bunch set, all it takes is a quick pass with a rub to spring someone for a TD.  You can also use sprint out passes with the OL all reaching their play side gap and the RB helping to seal that edge to get your QB on the edge where he has a run/pass option.

Now, use their blitzing against them when you call plays.  If you want to run, this means that you want to hit either downhill and off tackle with a kick out block or you want to get the ball out wide and outside--quick double option or rocket or jet sweep are good for this.  If you are in the gun, throw a quick tunnel screen of some kind right over the blitzers' heads.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 14, 2019 9:03 pm  

Your line has a few issues

1. Seeing blitz
2. Ability to move into a block
3. Physically handling the block

Seeing the blitz , your stance needs to give you this ability. Your blocking rules also need to synergize to pick the blitz up

Ability, you need to use something like slow oklahoma to teach them to block in space. We run a blitz period 6v5, 1 defender will get by thats fine, i need 5 blocked. Put your rbs vs your oline and coach them

Physicality is hard bc it takes time at youth, both previous factors have to be there and you need to build confidence.

Your head coach needs to prioritize oline, this helps.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
September 14, 2019 9:41 pm  

We’ll rep our offense vs a defender in every gap. If we follow our rules we should still be able to block it.

Been a while since we did it. This is a good reminderZ

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
September 15, 2019 3:18 am  

It's really hard to watch, especially when i have no say over the offense. Thank you guys for the advice. Hoping to talk some sense into the header and get this thing worked out.

I'm going to suggest installing an unbalanced beast package as our base offense instead of this multiple formation train wreck our OC drew up in his notebook. Beast isn't pretty, but it is an effective way to run with power and slow the game down.

At this point there really isn't time for a complete system overhaul so I'm pretty much stuck trying to figure out how ibcan get my defense to not only shut out opponents, but also put points on the board. Not a recipe for success!
Definitely won't put myself in this situation again!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 15, 2019 9:27 am  

I'm going to suggest installing an unbalanced beast package as our base offense instead of this multiple formation train wreck our OC drew up in his notebook.

--As I said, you might try a real offense.

Beast isn't pretty

--Not sure of your point, Ryan.  First of all, is aesthetic actually part of the equation?  Secondly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm pretty much stuck trying to figure out how I can get my defense to not only shut out opponents, but also put points on the board. Not a recipe for success!

--Actually, shutting out opponents and have them score points is a perfect recipe for success.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 15, 2019 11:06 am  

It's really hard to watch, especially when i have no say over the offense. Thank you guys for the advice. Hoping to talk some sense into the header and get this thing worked out.

I'm going to suggest installing an unbalanced beast package as our base offense instead of this multiple formation train wreck our OC drew up in his notebook. Beast isn't pretty, but it is an effective way to run with power and slow the game down.

At this point there really isn't time for a complete system overhaul so I'm pretty much stuck trying to figure out how ibcan get my defense to not only shut out opponents, but also put points on the board. Not a recipe for success!
Definitely won't put myself in this situation again!

Ide suggest to your coach that we need all hands on deck to bring up your glaring weakpoint.

They probably dont get the same amount coaching as the backfield lets say but get 3x the bs hollering when they mess up, see it all the time unfortunately.

Search michaels stuff on oline.  Not all are applicable but he knew nothin about oline and found ways to get kids to block and demolish defensive fronts

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 15, 2019 11:24 am  

Search michaels stuff on oline.  Not all are applicable but he knew nothin about oline and found ways to get kids to block and demolish defensive fronts

^ And Michael knew how to teach.

When you know how to teach, players know how to learn.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
September 15, 2019 12:39 pm  

Ide suggest to your coach that we need all hands on deck to bring up your glaring weakpoint.

They probably dont get the same amount coaching as the backfield lets say but get 3x the bs hollering when they mess up, see it all the time unfortunately.

Forgive me for the dumb question, which Michael are we referring to? I ask because I'm always looking for better ways to teach my kids how to demolish fronts.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 15, 2019 1:19 pm  

Forgive me for the dumb question, which Michael are we referring to?

Michael O’Gorman.

—Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 15, 2019 1:31 pm  

Forgive me for the dumb question, which Michael are we referring to? I ask because I'm always looking for better ways to teach my kids how to demolish fronts.

His name on the board is Michael,  theres a section dedicated to him. I, like a lot of others had a lot of long phone convos so be glad to help best i can.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: