Coyote
(@coyote)
Copper
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
January 14, 2020 12:32 pm  
Posted by: @mhcoach

One of the big things I have issues with is which hand down

As a player, I injured my collar bone, couldn't put my right hand down, coach didn't like it, he had firm convictions about such things, but the ugly bruise from base of my neck almost out to my shoulder ...  he made an allowance.    I want the hand down on the same side as the back foot, but don't worry about it, but I do want the kids balanced and the correct foot back to drive off of.    

This post was modified 1 month ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

MHcoach liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
January 14, 2020 7:16 pm  
Posted by: @mhcoach

So, part of the teaching of 3 point stance is minimum weight on the front hand to begin with. When I played our coach would walk by & kick the down hand out. If you fell forward it was a lap.

Then why have it on the ground at all?  With so little weight on it, wouldn't you be the same, balance-wise, to have that hand up with the elbow cocked?  Or do you put some weight on it as you get off?

I wonder about why a lot of coaches do certain things.  Like those who teach a 3-point stance by having the player start in a 4-point and lift one hand; then why not just stay in 4-point?

My thinking regarding having kids in 3-point is to use the weight on the hand to force the weaker ones into stepping so they don't face-plant when they move that hand.  I want them a little off balance.  In fact if they have to put that hand down again after their first step, fine, it's better than having a chute on the game field.  My 2-on-1 drive block teaching had them deliberately put their near hand down as they put their hips together.  Wedge blocking I don't mind if they put the inside hand down either; no chance of an illegal use of hands call as if they put it on the inside teammate.  The blockers I want to be balanced I'll have in 2-point.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Copper
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
January 14, 2020 8:48 pm  

Greetings

As for 3 pt stance...  we found that having about 40% of the weight on the hand helps keep the kids low when they fire out.  Light on the hand, the tendency is to stand up, then go forward.   Our aiming point (SAB) is the hip, and we know the kids will strike above that, but it helps the kids to stay low if the aim low.  Our blocking is about getting good body lean into the DL, and keep the feet moving.  "Move your feet" is the most common thing you'll hear from us coaches.   Starting with the end in mind, we find a balanced 3 pt stance to work well for us, to get the OL into the right position.

Your mileage may vary.

FWIW, our DC has the DL with heavy hands, to keep them low hitting the gaps.   4 pt or 3 pt, he leaves up to the kids, but firing out low to the point of nearly falling down is his big emphasis.  (our '18 team = 11-0 including wins over two other leagues' champs, out scored opponents 344 - 6.  A lot of the Offensive production was due to short fields given by our Defense). 

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Coyote

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
January 15, 2020 12:22 am  
Posted by: @coyote

Greetings

Do you have issues with the butt coming down when doing this?  We do have kids early in the season that want to use the "squatting dog" stance, and they get tumbled over backward pretty easily if they're not firing off quickly.    We have had opponents (other leagues) that will take a penalty to blast an OL kid and try to intimidate / slow him down by purposefully jumping the count.  With light fingers seems he's more vulnerable to getting bulled (bowled?) over. 

I haven't taught a 3 point stance for one of my teams since 2011, so technically, "no". I don't have issues with the butt coming down. However, given 10 minutes in a camp setting to coach a 3 point stance against my will with kids' ages ranging from 4 to 14 in the same group . . . there were some really bad stances, including butt being down.

Last season, for a brief time, maybe a month, Mahonz insisted, no, INSISTED that our D-line are in a 3 or 4 point stance. To me, a defensive 3 point is very different from an offensive, but we still had problems. To begin with, our linemen were HUGE 3rd graders, so being in a 3 or 4 point was really hindering them. It was painful to watch.  Mahonz was about to give in, but we compromised. I agreed to keep working on it and if we saw improvement without using a lot of practice time, we'd put their hands back in the dirt. My solution was to incorporate the stance in our warmups. Our last warmup exercise is "sprint from prone". For our big boys (and girl), I had them sprint from a 4 point instead. The bigs were in 2 lines on the end, so I was able to watch them like a hawk and make corrections. The trick was to have them start on fists and knees with their fists literally touching their knees. Then, without moving their feet backward or hands forward, I'd have them raise their butts. One by one, they started to "get it" with the exception of 1 kid. So I was able to implement this without spending extra practice time on it. 

If it meant a lot to me, I could probably get decent 3 point stances out of our o-line, but it's not. We don't block traditionally, so we covet speed, agility and balance over power and pad height. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Copper
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
January 15, 2020 5:01 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

For our big boys (and girl), I had them sprint from a 4 point instead.

Greetings

I like the drill, gonna use it. 

Someone said, "Stealing from one person is plagiarism, stealing from a lot of people is research."    I'm doing 'research' here.  😉 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
January 15, 2020 5:35 pm  
Posted by: @coyote
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

For our big boys (and girl), I had them sprint from a 4 point instead.

Greetings

I like the drill, gonna use it. 

Someone said, "Stealing from one person is plagiarism, stealing from a lot of people is research."    I'm doing 'research' here.  😉 

I'm not going to claim that was an original idea. In fact, many moons ago, there was a thread talking about how dumb it was to sprint out of a 3 or 4 point stance because it's something kids will never do in a game. I just chipped away at the problem instead of trying to solve it all at once. Each player only does one sprint per day, down 10 yards and back. Sometimes 2 because I never know what the "warmup" coach is up to. But it adds up and eventually, you have decent stances, or even if they aren't "decent", the kids can get out of them and get moving. Good luck with your research, though. 🙂

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: