Does any have a off...

Notifications
Clear all

Does any have a offense play call sheet? also what does it take to get your kid

Coach
(@coach)
Copper
Topic starter  

Does any have a offense play call sheet? also what does it take to get your kid to play fast i have kids that are fast but when the game are slow as hell how do i get them to play fast?

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

Not sure what you are looking for as far as the call sheet is concerned...be more specific...

As far as getting your kids to play faster...

If they are playing slow, they are either slow, or they are thinking too much which makes them slow. If it is the latter, then you might consider simplifying things for them...less thinking results in more aggressive faster players. They need to be confident that they know what to do and they will play fast...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

Here is a thread related to Coaching Cards (or Play Call Sheet, if I understand you correctly)

http://www.dumcoach.com/general-offense-discussion/coaching-play-card/msg296661/#msg296661

Here is one related to increasing speed

http://www.dumcoach.com/coach-gregory-systems/increasing-a-young-athlete's-speed-and-quickness/

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

how do i get them to play fast?

They are obviously tired and need some time on the bench to rest up.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Players that play slow are usually just NOT confident in what they are doing
It could be a technique issue. a lot of times it's a scheme issue. I see that a lot when watching some teams Offensive lines, poor initial footwork combined with an obvious hesitation due to not knowing for sure, who they are supposed to block

See it at LB on D- same reason- tech and scheme

Complex 2 gap, matchup zone pattern reading systems work great in the NFL
For kids with 2-3 days a week practice who have to play offense, defense and special teams- maybe not so much

Simple techs, taught in progressions
For example our DTs will learn just 2 block destruction techs and 1 read the OT- block down come down, release to level 2- push off come down, reach- get depth and width

If your system is too complex, if the base techs aren't taught well so the kids have confidence in them- LOTs of quality reps, kids play slow

Position specific things can be done as well- for example to get our RBs to play faster we run full speed tackling- chaser drills behind them in drills and skeleton. We just station a tackler directly behind the runner and have him chase. If the RB isn't running all out- he gets tackled from behind

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze

For those that have done a play call sheet, can you share yours as an example or post  a blank template?

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

Much like Dave replied a lack of confidence in his responsibilities can cause a player to play slow during games.

Secondly would be assignment. For example lets say the player in question is a LB'r is he slowing in game play due to not knowing his responsibilities or is he getting his ass knocked to the ground every other play  because the guy next to or in front of him is not keeping up with his end.  If the problem is the later find and correct those players and teach your guy a block destruction move or two.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

I have mine on an Excel spreadsheet where the plays are listed in text boxes.  I originally had the diagram of our formation with the plays organized around where in the formation they hit.  I got rid of the formation diagram but kept the organization of the sheet based on where the play goes.

The plays that go wide left are in the far left of my sheet, and so on working across the formation.  So if I want off tackle right, I know where to look for the play.

Essentially it just looks like this (in text boxes):

37 Swing Pass................45 Counter.......21 Trap.....................22 Trap...........36 Counter...........Power Pass Right
47 Sweep......................45 Power.........13 Blast......Wedge......14 Blast..........36 Power.............48 Sweep

And so on. The different plays (text boxes) are just stacked vertically based on their points of attack.

I also have the text boxes color coded - Red for pass, light blue for sweep, light green for misdirection, and orange for those plays that I can run with my back up offense.

On the bottom of the sheet in really big letters I have RUN POWER STUPID.

I've tried a couple of different play sheet styles, and this one works best for me by far.

What I probably could add to it would be some situation notes - what to run in certain circumstances.  So far I haven't felt that was necessary, as it's not really the way I think when I call plays, but that would be a possible enhancement I make in the future.

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

I started to upload my actual call sheet.  But I realized there could be lurkers and I would basically be handing over my entire offense.  So... what I have include with mine are:

List of plays, color coded for TYPE.  Notes on when to use certain plays. 
I have a quick reference to one side with things like "Run a No Play Early", "Run a Trick Play Early", "Throw a Pass Early".  "If They Take Away the Edge, Run the Wedge", etc...

I have a list of formations and best scenarios to use them.

I have a grid for PATs to tell when to go for 1 or 2, based on current score.

I have a diagram of the base formation with names of kids at each position, listed in starting order as a depth chart.

On the back side I have Defense and Special Teams.

Also, because I am a complete moron, I have a nice logo of our team mascot so if I lose it and one of our opponents finds it, they know exactly who it belongs to...  😛

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

I found this one in the Preservation Room under Coaching Aids.

Scroll down to page 30.  http://www.dumcoach.com/coaching-aids-and-misc-documents/pdfppt-presentation-on-team-organization/

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze

Thanks guys. I have an idea of how I can set mine up now.

Rob

ReplyQuote
Coach
(@coach)
Copper
Topic starter  

Is it possible you could email that to me? So i can organize my plays etc..

I started to upload my actual call sheet.  But I realized there could be lurkers and I would basically be handing over my entire offense.  So... what I have include with mine are:

List of plays, color coded for TYPE.  Notes on when to use certain plays. 
I have a quick reference to one side with things like "Run a No Play Early", "Run a Trick Play Early", "Throw a Pass Early".  "If They Take Away the Edge, Run the Wedge", etc...

I have a list of formations and best scenarios to use them.

I have a grid for PATs to tell when to go for 1 or 2, based on current score.

I have a diagram of the base formation with names of kids at each position, listed in starting order as a depth chart.

On the back side I have Defense and Special Teams.

Also, because I am a complete moron, I have a nice logo of our team mascot so if I lose it and one of our opponents finds it, they know exactly who it belongs to...  😛

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

Is it possible you could email that to me? So i can organize my plays etc..

Sure!  PM me your email addy...

ReplyQuote
Share: