Notifications

Drill for rolling hips when blocking  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
August 14, 2017 9:05 am  

Does anyone have a drill(s) to share on how to properly teach the hip roll. You have taken your first two steps, made contact with a defender and now as you attempt to drive them back want to shoot your hips forward/up to finish the block. Looking for help here.

Passio Bellator

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
August 14, 2017 9:58 am  

Does anyone have a drill(s) to share on how to properly teach the hip roll. You have taken your first two steps, made contact with a defender and now as you attempt to drive them back want to shoot your hips forward/up to finish the block. Looking for help here.

Don't actually drill the hip movement, drill the step.  Foot moves, hip's gonna follow!  But do look for a high knee.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
August 14, 2017 10:08 am  

Don't actually drill the hip movement, drill the step.  Foot moves, hip's gonna follow!  But do look for a high knee.

Uh, not so much.  But don't ever change.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
August 14, 2017 10:16 am  

EDIT:  Oops!  I somehow originally read this as being about hip roll on tackling and described a tackling drill!  I don't know how that happened.  I hate trying to type on my phone sometimes.  Apologies.

First off, if you have access to a Lev Sled, it's great for this.  That's what it's for and it's a game changer, but few teams have those in the HS level, let alone youth.  I haven't had one for most of my career.

For me, what I do is start by showing them just what "rolling hips" means.  I demonstrate it means thrusting the hips forward.

Then the first drill we use is the finish drill.  Line the kids up in "athletic stances" across from each other and position the blocker how you want with hands on the breastplate, elbows tucked in tight to the body, knees bent, butt low, feet wider than the shoulders.  We want them to roll the hips forward, "step on his shoes," and get "belt buckle to belt buckle."

I want eyes under his eyes, pads under his pads, hands under his hands, and hips under his hips in this position.

Then I just coach them to roll the hips forward and "lift him out of his shoes" while taking those power steps to finish the block.  He's going to work hard.

Then I blow the whistle and have the kid lift him up and drive from a good fit.

From there, we move to "fit and finish drill" where we work backwards.  Now they both start from an athletic position, but the blocker needs to get into the fit on his own.  We do this half speed, then full speed.

Then we go from a stance.  We do each of the first 3 steps on a whistle: load the hands and take 1st step, fit to the block on 2nd step, roll hips and drive on third step and beyond.

Then we do board drills and work it there live against an opponent who's trying to do the same thing.

Then we do a wrap drill and work that for wrapping to LB where we break down and create lift by rolling our hips forward through our flippers onto a 2nd level defender with a shield.  Then we do Competition Pull drill where they're looking for the same thing.  Then we reinforce that by coaching it in Inside Run and Team.  We want our pullers to get their with explosion and throw the hips.

We could also do it this way on reach blocks if you're a big OZ team, but we're not, so we don't.  For downblocks and scoops hip roll isn't such a big deal.

To me, the finish is important because working for that finish is what gets the pad level, movement, and leg drive we want.  We don't want him bent over like an "L" trying to push with his arms way out in front of him.  We want him in tight.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 14, 2017 12:31 pm  

That was helpful .

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
August 14, 2017 1:25 pm  

Oh.  I see now you meant thrusting both hips forward.  Not what I call a "roll".  But still, it's extension at the knees.

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
August 14, 2017 2:12 pm  

Ya so help a brother out over here.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
jvcoach
(@jvcoach)
Bronze
August 14, 2017 4:06 pm  

Just a crazy thought.... maybe have kids toss a blocking dummy like a camber toss as per an example once used by Michael.

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
August 14, 2017 5:06 pm  

You can use medicine balls instead of a dummy. You can make them out of old basketballs.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
August 14, 2017 7:14 pm  

Take as many tackling dummies as you can muster and put them a few inches from a Wall or Fence.  If you have Sleds, take the bungee Cords off of the dummies (Allow them to slide Freely). 

Gunslingers!  Knees right up to the Dummies, Ass on Heels, you want nothing but Fire Hands, First!  Upwards motion Thumbs Up on the numbers, Strike with the heel of their hands! That's the Punch!    You had better hear those Dummies POP!   

Now, have them Fire Hands and Hips!  If they do it correctly the Dummy will elevate a bit.  The Sled is actually better because the Dummy will slide up the Pole they sit (attach) on.

Now take them away from the wall and see if they actually (Challenge them to) get some air under the dummies!

As Morris says you can use Medicine balls as well doing the same thing. Ball trajectory needs to be Away from their body.  Good Core Exercise too!   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 15, 2017 8:51 am  

Planks for time

Hip extension from knees on a sled or bag ala heads up tackling progression

Hip explosion is mainly core and glute strength. Get those up ... youll have more pop

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 15, 2017 9:38 am  

I'm going to go out on a limb here and get looked at all weird but the finish is over rated imo. In conversations with a bunch of guys (HS guys, great youth coaches and a few coaches with college experience) they all say that the finish is great but if they just keep running their feet you end up with the same effect. Joe's oline coach is one of those guys. Not that he doesn't teach finish but he has bigger points of emphasis. And hs guys have much more time than youth coaches do. We barely any time. It's value might not be worth the extra practice given to it. As a tight split guy I was always more interested with movement as most teams who run gap schemes are. Zone guys or Michael with his mega splits will have very different thoughts on this. I honestly know successful coaches that have never taught the finish. Just keep driving, stomping those feet. You'll stand them up if you do that anyway. I taught finish once. Waste of time. Now I just want them to be a bull dozer with full throttle. So bash away at me but I just don't see the real value. Good feet and pad level will get done what needs to get done.

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold
Head Coach
August 15, 2017 9:53 am  

Were more concerned with staying stuck to the man than finishing him if we run our feet for 12 steps and make contact before 2nd step  is down were in good shape we never mention any of this other stuff....

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
August 15, 2017 9:56 am  

We roll the hips to jack the guy up and START moving him.

I don't teach finish.  We just stop when the ref blows the whistle.  Or the second or third time he blows it, anyway, so we know he really means it.

Once the guy is jacked up, we just run him.  If he goes down, we go down on top of him.  But other than putting him down, you can't plan any sort of finish because you have no idea when the whistle's coming.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum
August 15, 2017 11:04 am  

We teach this concept in a few ways but something we always stress on our GO step is our feet are always stepping under the defender and our belt buckler is always staying glued to the defender.  What this does is eliminate the drive and lean of your blocker and creates natural hip thrust as the blocker fires off on his first three steps at the very least.  The other thing is making sure their base is wide.  If you watch the blockers feet as they fire off if they are narrow/ skinny you will also see no hip thrust and this is due to the mechanics of the body and how the hips and core work the stabilize the body in movement. 

Wide base
Feet thrust under defender
Belt buckle glued to defender

Nature takes care of the rest.  This is really nothing more than what Rob is stating. 

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: