RB
WR

just curious?

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

What do you look for in the following positions:

For 10Us:

QB: Don't get a prima donna like a couple I've coached!  Decent temperament, then primarily agility & hands.
FB: Good eye in an around-the-fence drill, enjoys hard hitting.
RB: Speed, then hands, then agility.
WR: Hands or sacrificial (minimum play).

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Here is my take:

QB:  Should be one of your better, more coachable, athletes. 
1) Decent Speed. 2) Decent Arm, 3) Smart, 4) Confident
        At worst.........a good hand off machine     

FB:  Should have the same traits as your Mike Linebacker
1) Loves Contact, 2) Excellent blocker, 3) Run through a brick wall, 4) Straight line speed.
      at worst.....an extra Guard in the backfield

TB: Should be able to carry the load and want to.
  1) Speed, 2) Hands, 3) Changes direction well, 4) Vision
      at worst.......A jack rabbit that can run himself out of trouble.

WR: Should be able to Catch, Block, and run routes well.
  1) Long and Lean (Height has its advantages here) 2) Great Hands, 3) Decent Blocker, 4) Precision Routes.  5) Attacks the football doesnt wait for it.
      at worst......................A good Blocker or a burner who can run folks out of the play. ( Notice I did not mention speed at all)

TE:  CANNOT BE OVER LOOKED IN THE I
    1) Large version of Full Back, 2) Great Hands, 3) Can run with the rock.

Bottom line for the I is the ability to pass and throw.  Dont have to throw deep but need to be able to execute Play Action.  A WR who can get open and make the catch. A good TE is vital for the I in the run game and in the passing game.  Im old but to me everything comes off the Run Game!!  Even if its 3 yards and a cloud of dust, that runs clock and wears out a defense.  Add Play Action off that and you have GOLD!! 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Shad

Spot on.

Oh... and there is a reason some of the best youth defenses ever created really struggle against a well-coached I formation team. 

The reason so many on this forum despise the thought of running I….they have seen what happens when too many crappy coaches run it…which happens a lot.

I think the I makes a comeback around here at least as a maybe. Right now the 2x2 gun is getting abused by all the crappy coaches so the heat is off the I.  8)

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

Lots of Madden video game coaches run crappy I formations. A few I've seen run very good I systems. If you have a dominant tailback and a QB who can throw, nothing wrong with the I at all.

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum

I am not an I fan, I dont dislike the I because others have run it crappy nor do I dislike it because others have run it well, I dislike the I because it has limited areas it can threaten, plays tend to be telegraphed, theres less misdirection and it features 1 stud running back. That being said its a talent dependant O, if you got a absolute stud RB, a stud QB and a good O line, then your off to the super bowl, and that amount of talent could put any team in the finals.....BUT if the whole O is based upon a stud RB, things could be going great, right up until he gets injured, doesn't show to a game, gets grounded or suspended then my friend your in a world of doodoo :'(

2nd thought of the I, a Nebraska option I could be very good, a short I wing T style could be excellent misdirection, but these are not traditional I formations / series. The one play I will admit is awesome is the PAP out of I, it really does freeze a shit load of defenders!

3rdly It just so happens a lot of coaches use the I as a default offense. Its what they grew up watching on TV, its what they ran in school, they think its a balanced easy to install O...for what ever reason many I formation coaches are very conservative play callers and very stubborn (they should be DW coaches but cant because most I guys dont like pulling or anything else they consider gimmicky)

BBBUUUUTTTT if I had a stable of studs sure Ide be the 1st coach to say lets run the I!

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I am not an I fan, I dont dislike the I because others have run it crappy nor do I dislike it because others have run it well, I dislike the I because it has limited areas it can threaten, plays tend to be telegraphed, theres less misdirection and it features 1 stud running back. That being said its a talent dependant O, if you got a absolute stud RB, a stud QB and a good O line, then your off to the super bowl, and that amount of talent could put any team in the finals.....BUT if the whole O is based upon a stud RB, things could be going great, right up until he gets injured, doesn't show to a game, gets grounded or suspended then my friend your in a world of doodoo :'(

S

You just described every offense ever invented.  8)

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
JrTitan
(@jrtitan)
Gold

What Shadi said plus the TB needs to be willing to run between the tackles.  Not every TB is willing to do that.  May not always be your fastest kid.

"They call it coaching but it is teaching...You do not just tell them...you show them the reasons""You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important."β€œβ€¦you have no bad habits to break...We either coach it or are allowing allowing it to happen.”

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

2nd thought of the I, a Nebraska option I could be very good, a short I wing T style could be excellent misdirection, but these are not traditional I formations / series. The one play I will admit is awesome is the PAP out of I, it really does freeze a shit load of defenders!

3rdly It just so happens a lot of coaches use the I as a default offense. Its what they grew up watching on TV, its what they ran in school, they think its a balanced easy to install O...for what ever reason many I formation coaches are very conservative play callers and very stubborn (they should be DW coaches but cant because most I guys dont like pulling or anything else they consider gimmicky)

BBBUUUUTTTT if I had a stable of studs sure Ide be the 1st coach to say lets run the I!

We are not loaded with studs and I (we) run the I effectively. 
I do have the Nebraska Option installed.
We dont have a "Stud" TB, we have an effective TB.
We dont have a Stud FB, we have one who can get me 3 yards and blocks well.
We dont have a "Heisman" QB, We have a Point Guard who can operate in close quarters and throws a decent ball. 
We have effective WR's who get open and make catches.
Our OL is undersized but I make it easy for them to block.
We Trap and Pull
We use "Play Action" very well.

I tell you what VANILLA looks great when its working and works well in underdog situations where you need to use the clock against your opponent as well. 

What kills us at times is the same thing that kills any and every offense, mistakes and turnovers.   

πŸ˜‰

Dusty

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum

having option in there makes it a whole new ball game, and an I form based O I wouldnt mind running. You ever Zone-block with I? I read 1 coach that says its as easy as a 16penny nail pie...whatever that means,but apparently he makes it work

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold

What Shadi said plus the TB needs to be willing to run between the tackles.  Not every TB is willing to do that.  May not always be your fastest kid.

Our biggest problem last season was a hesitant tb that wouldn't hit the hole immediately. when the OL was able to hold their blocks longer for him, he was effective. Even running over linebackers, but the o-line couldn't be expected to do that all the time. The tailback has to hit that hole as its opening.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

No I dont Zone it.  I have an effective way of using angles to our benefit most of the time. 

I think Milt Tenopir and Bob Bostad would agree that Zone Concepts worked "Better" when they were in Single Back formations.  Nebraska did a lot of "Pinning" as did Wisconsin.  When you Run ISO, Zone concepts don't really come into play.  By that I mean its not really necessary.  If I were to choose, OZ would be they way to Block in my opinion.  Notice I did say that Play Action is a MUST for this offense.  If your not using it, its like Peanut Butter without the Jelly. 

The I is not that much different than a Split Back field in so much as its a "Pro Style" Set using Play Action and BOB Conepts.  Counters are your Misdirection.

Dusty πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Our biggest problem last season was a hesitant tb that wouldn't hit the hole immediately. when the OL was able to hold their blocks longer for him, he was effective. Even running over linebackers, but the o-line couldn't be expected to do that all the time. The tailback has to hit that hole as its opening.

While I agree this is a Down Hill running game and the TB has to be disciplined to hit the holes for the most part.  My caveat is that, if he wont hit the holes, he had better be fast enough to run away from trouble.  If he slow and wont hit holes, bouncing will get you in deep sh*t fast!  That being said if he wont hit the holes and get caught behind the LOS a lot.  The fix is to use a lighter FB type.  They WILL follow the blocks and hit the holes.  The only detriment is that you wont break too many 50 yard runs.  But then again if he gets 7 yards a pop off an ISO and 5 to 8 yards on a swing pass its just as effective.  One will break eventually for 20 plus. 

πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
matt8188
(@matt8188)
Gold

What do you look for in the following positions:

QB- Leadership, Decision making, arm strength.
FB- toughness, leg drive
RB- toughness, speed/quickness, leg drive
WR- Able to take the top off the defense

just curious?

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant

"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold

While I agree this is a Down Hill running game and the TB has to be disciplined to hit the holes for the most part.  My caveat is that, if he wont hit the holes, he had better be fast enough to run away from trouble.  If he slow and wont hit holes, bouncing will get you in deep sh*t fast!  That being said if he wont hit the holes and get caught behind the LOS a lot.  The fix is to use a lighter FB type.  They WILL follow the blocks and hit the holes.  The only detriment is that you wont break too many 50 yard runs.  But then again if he gets 7 yards a pop off an ISO and 5 to 8 yards on a swing pass its just as effective.  One will break eventually for 20 plus. 

πŸ˜‰

Yea that was a change made way to late. Once we made that change, we had a more consistant attack. It really opened up the counter and bootleg also and if those are going well, its a much more explosive offense. We did run more a I-wing though, with that wing running the counters.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: