Getting plays into ...

Notifications
Clear all

Getting plays into team??

Page 2 / 2

DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

Has anyone used those picture boards to play call?

Seems popular at the upper levels.

We do that on defense. All of our calls are superhero names so the DC holds up the poster with the right superhero logo for the defensive play call.  We have Hulk, Flash, Superman, etc.  We are a very immature group of grown up coaches...

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

How fast do you think i can get a 3rd grade team to snap the ball between plays we run no huddle i yell formation and # for wristband,
However if its 1st or 2nd down i stay in the same formation to speed up the proess.

We played a team that was doing this and by the 2nd quarter our boys knew their plays. How do you keep that from happening?

ReplyQuote
topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze

I have multiple # for my fav plays and also we have code words for our favorite 4 plays. Also we have a BLAST call.
FOr example
we have been running the off tackle power and the defense has caught on to the play call or number whichever it is
we call the same number and yell blast which is the counter off that play
so our offense would execute a 15 BOOTLEG

ReplyQuote
tsilverman
(@tsilverman)
Copper

We played a team that was doing this and by the 2nd quarter our boys knew their plays. How do you keep that from happening?

We can call the same play 3 different way using body parts, city names, or NFL teams...  for example, Tackle Trap Right might be Chin 0, Boston 0, or Cowboy 0

So we mix up the calls as we go and even at the highest midget level they don't catch on.  We have even had teams try to quickly write down the calls and they cannot decipher it, understand it and get it to the defense in enough time to defend the play before we run it.  Defense spends more time and energy trying to figure it out than playing football.  I have tow sets of wristband cards so that if we play the same team later in the season, I just switch sets to make sure they have no idea what is coming.

So all they know is what they hear which might be that we are in trip right and one of our slots in motion.

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold

Going spread, we use all wristbands.  Haven't huddled once in 3 years.  As the ball is being set, we verbally call the formation and the motion and the players move to their spot.  This is echoed across the field.  When they get set, they look to the sideline and we call the play off the wristband.  It is again quickly echoed across the formation.  The QB takes a step forward and calls the play to the O line which is down in a 2-point stance.  For us, no huddle is about controlling the tempo and not necessarily snapping the ball as quickly as possible...  although we sure can when we want to!  We use nothing but wristbands in practice each and every day starting about day #2 so the boys can refer to it easily and efficiently.  They get comfortable with the wristband in about a week or so.

Again, we're pretty similar.  I would love an opportunity to coach with you sometime, Tim - it seems like were on the same page on a lot of things.  We use wristbands with 5 columns (A-E) and 18 rows, so 90 cells altogether.  We have about 30 plays, including a few undefined items like Viper and Raptor so I can add a play on the fly and assign it to that name without having to re-do the wristbands midseason.  Each play is on the wristband about 3 times, so I can call Power as Alpha-3, Delta-12, or Echo-6 (i.e. cell A3, D12 or E6).  We yell in the formation, motion, any tags, and direction, so the play calls on the wristband are typically only one word (e.g. Trap, Smoke, Stick, 4-Verts, Smash, Counter, etc.).  We also color-code the plays so the players know what type of play it is (run, play-action, screen, quick game, 5-step pass, or special/gadget) from the color - minimizes memorization.

A typical play call that I'll yell in from the sideline might be Deuces Hearts Yuma Alpha-3, which translates as Deuces Right formation (i.e. 2x2 Pistol Spread) Y-motion across formation, Power Right.

I make multiple playcards every year so we can swap them out if we think anyone has deciphered our system, but so far that has not been necessary.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdoug
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
tsilverman
(@tsilverman)
Copper

Again, we're pretty similar.  I would love an opportunity to coach with you sometime, Tim - it seems like were on the same page on a lot of things.  We use wristbands with 5 columns (A-E) and 18 rows, so 90 cells altogether.  We have about 30 plays, including a few undefined items like Viper and Raptor so I can add a play on the fly and assign it to that name without having to re-do the wristbands midseason.  Each play is on the wristband about 3 times, so I can call Power as Alpha-3, Delta-12, or Echo-6 (i.e. cell A3, D12 or E6).  We yell in the formation, motion, any tags, and direction, so the play calls on the wristband are typically only one word (e.g. Trap, Smoke, Stick, 4-Verts, Smash, Counter, etc.).  We also color-code the plays so the players know what type of play it is (run, play-action, screen, quick game, 5-step pass, or special/gadget) from the color - minimizes memorization.

A typical play call that I'll yell in from the sideline might be Deuces Hearts Yuma Alpha-3, which translates as Deuces Right formation (i.e. 2x2 Pistol Spread) Y-motion across formation, Power Right.

I make multiple playcards every year so we can swap them out if we think anyone has deciphered our system, but so far that has not been necessary.

We are very much on the same page Doug and I think it would be fun to do something together!  We do the same thing yelling in the formation and motion so the wristband plays are super simple and have few words... usually just a play and a direction.  Ours are only 60 plays calls..  3 panel wristbands with 2 columns of 10 each.  Kids love them and we have had no issues because we use them at every practice.  We also have plays calls not on the wristbands which we will call with a name or color... like audibles, qb sneak, all verticals, and specials like that. 

So our 2-part call might be "Leo Zoom" (trips left, Z slot motion) followed after they get set in trips left by "Boston 0" (Tackle trap right)

ReplyQuote
coacho
(@coacho)
Silver

We signal the formation into the Center and the movement and play to the QB. In the huddle the center will say Red 324 and the QB will say Jet Right - on one - ( then REPEATS THE INFO)  Center (The center leaves the huddle) ready score. This will break the huddle.

The OC tells one coach the formation and set, he then signals right arm up (RED) and then the representation of the numbers. The OC will signal a number of the play on the wrist band. The QB reads the play.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

How fast do you think i can get a 3rd grade team to snap the ball between plays we run no huddle i yell formation and # for wristband,
However if its 1st or 2nd down i stay in the same formation to speed up the proess.

I cant speak for a team of all 3rd graders
BUT in 2013 I coached a group of non select 3&4th graders, 18 new to football out of 25
We were no-huddle 100% of the time after game 1
By seasons end in semi final game we ran 46 plays in the first half of that game
We had lots of 8-12 play drives that lasted less than 3  minutes

In practice we run 1 play every 15 seconds in team with 11 on and 11 off
If you want to go fast- you can
BUT its a commitment from day 1- precision AND pace

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze

Thanks Dave thats about the time i was hoping to get from the team of the 24 17 played for me last seasson and the 7 new players are all very ath;etic and smart we were getting plays off in 2nd grade huddling up with a coach on the field in about 20 seconds

ReplyQuote
CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze

I've been using 3 column wrist bands for about 10 years getting our plays into the offense.  We normally use two wristbands for the QB and another player will have a set just in case.  So about 60 plays in total. I will normally send in a WR duo to call plays.  I've also had my QB come over to the sideline and tell him the play number. 

I have run a no huddle against a few teams and we can get in plays within about 15 seconds using a combination of code words for the formation, hole numbers and play call. Our lineman captain will male the blocking call at LOS.  I can call the play based on the defensive formation.  Its works pretty cool.  It take about 2 weeks to install for 4th and 5th grade teams that are experienced.  We also have fun keywords like Honey Badger for our key plays.  Honey Badger and Wild Weasel are our wedge play names and So Long is a sweep play. 

Overall I like the wrist coach and a player to run in the play number to the QB.    I will say to make sure you practice with the play sheet that matches your wrist coaches before the game.  A few times, my wristbands on game day did not match my play call sheet.  Now that's always fun.  We usually run a walk thru simulation on our last practice before games which will flesh out these issues.  You must practice everything.

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Thanks Dave thats about the time i was hoping to get from the team of the 24 17 played for me last seasson and the 7 new players are all very ath;etic and smart we were getting plays off in 2nd grade huddling up with a coach on the field in about 20 seconds

That's lining up, running a play POA fits on coaches with shields, 11 in 11 out and the next play starts

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze

yeah that is how we're going to install it

ReplyQuote
jc25
 jc25
(@jc25)
Lurker

Every kid has a wristband with 30 plays.  Really it's only 8-10 plays but I put them on 30 times and randomly give them a number.  So numbers 2, 5, and 28 might be the same play.  Plays we run more often will show up more times in the list.  I then have 31 laminated pieces of paper with a big number from 1 to 31 printed on them.  I hold the number over my head and that's what we run.  Never had an issue, if a kid can't see it or whatever, he can ask one of his teammates.  If I hold up 31 it means huddle up and I'll run in a kid with a different play that isn't on the cards.  I make 2 playsheets for the wristbands, we switch them at halftime.     

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

The ultimate goal this past year was one word play calls. But as you go along youre system falls apart bc how many words can relate to comic heroes and colleges

So we made it 2 words.

Next year less plays...gonna try 1 word.

Sequence: while setting up on the ball (walking toward where the play stopped eyes went to sideline)

Coach 1 was o line he signalled blocking scheme. (Me)

Wr coach held up a color = formation.

Oc yelled our one word.

Tight zone right was any female hero
tight zone left was a regular womens name
wide zone right was a male hero
wide zone left any regular mans name
power right college
power left city

Passes were players last names

Easy to pick up right... only 1 team had an idea n he made the mistake of telling me. Now oline just watched me so names meant nothing to them.

So we added a dummy call... coach held up a sign next to the coordinator with images he chose and they changed every game.  Cars....cartoons... math equations was hillarious

Played the code cracker again beat em...comes to me "what ever you added worked i couldnt figure out what you were calling" I said " you referring to the smoke or the mirror" haha he laughed, I laughed was a good moment.

Next year will easier now that we had experiance using a chip kelly like no huddle system.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze

We've always used a play runner - usually an end.  However next year, we are toying with using a wristband on the QB and only having our ends and backfield huddle. We're thinking of using hand signals for the blocking scheme and formation  and calling the plays by the number on the wristband.  I don't know - still thinking about it.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: