RSS

32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
November 12, 2019 11:38 am  

My teams are well-known and possibly hated for our wedges.  On my middle school team, we will wedge at each guard and at the center from balanced line.  Then we will slip in guard over left and guard over right unbalanced and then wedge at either guard or the center from either formation.  We will line up our backs to the short side of our guard over unbalanced line and run a blocking back wedge at the far guard 3 men over from where the blocking back lines up.  It's safe to say that I am very familiar with the wedge.

Now jump ahead to this this season.  I let my friend and ex-assistant coach talk me in to coaching an 8 man youth team for his recreation department.  When considering what to install on offense and defense, I thought about installing a wedge play but decided not to because I had a very short amount of practice time, no assistant coaches and the offensive was going to be 2 men less than in 11 man football.  I focused on sweep, blast and reverse and put together a defense to stop those plays.

Everything was cruising along fine until our last game of the season this past Saturday.  We played this team that was tough and mean and played good defense.  They stuffed us on the opening series and took the ball down and scored.  I was thinking ut-oh but yelled at my guys a little, moved a LB up to nose and we settled in and played good the rest of the 1st half, leading 13-6 at halftime.

We were very relaxed at halftime thinking if we played solid in the second half, we would be fine.

Then those deceptive scutters did something, I never imagined.  They came out after halftime running wedge over and over, smashing the ball down our throats.  I had not prepared my guys to stop that.  I used my timeouts trying to teach bear crawling, which didn't work very well.  Then I tried to get my d-line to do the Bear Bryant root hog technique that Coach Mountjoy shared on here years back.  We finally started to slow them down some but never stopped them. 

They would have probably scored and won but fumbled with a little over a minute in the game with the scored tied at 20-20.  We ran a counter for a TD and won 26-20.

In hind sight, it was hilarious.  The wedge guy getting wedged.  I now have a better understanding of why I get some weird looks and stares when we shake hands.  Getting wedged is not fun!

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
November 12, 2019 11:57 am  

Getting wedged is not fun!

Sure isn't. Lucky for us, we've only seen 1 good wedge team 13 seasons.

Next season:  wedge from mega splits. Oh, it's happening.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 12, 2019 3:47 pm  

Blah, blah, blahpity, blah... ::). I'll believe it when I see it.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
November 12, 2019 5:10 pm  

Heretic!

LOL 🙂

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze
November 12, 2019 9:09 pm  

It can work but it legitimately looks weird. We split C-G =4FT, G-T=5FT, T-TE=6FT.

It looks very layered and basically every lineman is pulling inside to get into position and a QB in full shotgun timed out perfectly for us. Then again with our splits everything looked weird.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
November 13, 2019 2:09 am  

I've seen a few copy cat teams that decided to run it against us but we never had a problem stopping it.  My scout defense in practice is usually the toughest wedge defense we see all year because they see it more than anyone else.  This team last week was the first real good wedge team I have coached against in 16 seasons.  I was impressed and told them so after the game.

I am eagerly waiting to see mega splits wedge.  Put me in the believe it when I see it category until then.  You may have an inside play, you call a wedge, where everyone on the line gap blocks to the same point of attack,  but that's not going to be the same thing we do and definitely not going to be the same as those perfect fit center wedges that the under center double wing teams run.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
November 13, 2019 4:53 am  

It can work but it legitimately looks weird. We split C-G =4FT, G-T=5FT, T-TE=6FT.

It looks very layered and basically every lineman is pulling inside to get into position and a QB in full shotgun timed out perfectly for us. Then again with our splits everything looked weird.

You are speaking my language.  ;D

My theory is that wedge will work better with large splits.
1) We know what is about to happen. The defense doesn't.
2) We are used to it because we practice it.
3) Less bodies in front of the wedge
4) Further to run for the edge defenders who try to wrap around the wedge.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
November 13, 2019 4:57 am  

You may have an inside play, you call a wedge, where everyone on the line gap blocks to the same point of attack,  but that's not going to be the same thing we do and definitely not going to be the same as those perfect fit center wedges that the under center double wing teams run.

I'm talking full wedge fits, T pushing G pushing C. I may have an inside QB draw involving the 2 Gs and the C that will be a "hot call" if we see a 202 or wider front, but I hope to also have a traditional wedge. I'm going to install a DW series out of mega splits. That's what rekindled this whole idea.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
November 13, 2019 6:56 am  

You are speaking my language.  ;D

My theory is that wedge will work better with large splits.
1) We know what is about to happen. The defense doesn't.
2) We are used to it because we practice it.
3) Less bodies in front of the wedge
4) Further to run for the edge defenders who try to wrap around the wedge.

Defenders are going to penetrate and be behind your wedge before it fits.  Running through the big hole you give us is much faster than running around.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
November 13, 2019 9:31 am  

Defenders are going to penetrate and be behind your wedge before it fits.  Running through the big hole you give us is much faster than running around.

That's what I don't get.  Mega split wedge, you have all this sideways ground to cover while the DL can just go forward.  Are you counting on them getting caught in the wash?  Even if they are, doesn't that break up your wedge?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
November 13, 2019 11:17 am  

That's what I don't get.  Mega split wedge, you have all this sideways ground to cover while the DL can just go forward.  Are you counting on them getting caught in the wash?  Even if they are, doesn't that break up your wedge?

First, we have to be selective about the front we try to wedge against.
Second, we just have to cross their face instead of the other way around.
Third, we only wedge with C, G, T, which makes it easier.

The way I see it, if wedging from wide splits is impossible, then so is covering a pulling G and T with a TE.

A couple of years ago, I had the wedge working with the linemen. It was ready. Problem was, OC wouldn't give me 120 seconds to show the QB and FB how to run it, so it never went in.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 13, 2019 11:36 am  

Problem was, OC wouldn't give me 120 seconds to show the QB and FB how to run it, so it never went in.

Time for a new OC.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
November 13, 2019 11:49 am  

The way I see it, if wedging from wide splits is impossible, then so is covering a pulling G and T with a TE.

That's why I only pull one and have him stay home much of the time. 

But we are probably comparing apples to brazil nuts.  Most of the defensive tackles I face are bigger, faster and more athletic than any of my running backs. 

ReplyQuote
Share: