Notifications

GOL BLOCKING  

RSS

nwmocb
(@nwmocb)
Bronze
September 12, 2017 1:38 pm  

Just say we are GOL blocking right v a bear front 2 three techs and a 0.  What if the 3 slants towards the center on the backside and your tackle is not getting him any coaching pointers on picking this up?

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 12, 2017 7:54 pm  

Assuming he's not getting him because the 3 tech is too fast/too big. We teach our linemen to call "Ogre". In your case, your backside T points to the 3 and says "Ogre" to the G. If the G is okay to help, he'll respond "Ogre", or "I got you" . . . whatever. Then he'll chip the 3 tech on the way to his LB.

Then, when I catch it on film, I grab that kid and work on get off and fast feet. Our splits between the G and T are at least 3 feet and we can pick up most 3 techs. For some weird reason, all we're seeing is 40 fronts. Usually 2's and 6's or 7's. We see plenty of odd fronts in practice.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 13, 2017 4:56 am  

Just say we are GOL blocking right v a bear front 2 three techs and a 0.  What if the 3 slants towards the center on the backside and your tackle is not getting him any coaching pointers on picking this up?

Assuming you are pulling. Teach your tackle to cut. Tighten splits. No pull and help.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 13, 2017 10:43 am  

Assuming you are pulling. Teach your tackle to cut. Tighten splits. No pull and help.

Was going to suggest that, but our tackles can't cut.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 13, 2017 10:54 am  

Because your splits are too damn big.  😛

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 13, 2017 10:57 am  

Because your splits are too damn big.  😛

Exactly. I took a tape measure out there and my tackles were 6 yards from the ball.

ReplyQuote
nwmocb
(@nwmocb)
Bronze
September 13, 2017 11:11 am  

The splits are probably too big even though they are only about 6 inches I don't have the most athletic linemen.  We are not pulling but we are stepping to help the center in the a gap and the 3 tech is damn near coming off of the guards butt as he steps.  Does anyone have the footwork for the GOL?

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 13, 2017 11:30 am  

Recess the line as far as you can. This solves a ton of issues. Step flatter down the line and get head in front of defender. Work on get offs. Load weight in 2nd step foot. The foot work will vary with the block. This is just a down block. Look into severe angle blocking footwork. By flatter I mean the angle of the first step is 30° or even tighter if need be with the ps foot. Try telling the tackle that it is not just a step bit also a push with the back foot. Worst case step 90° straight down the line. Still think a cut is a solution. This should be a  simple block. A dt should have no problem blocking a 3.

ReplyQuote
archer
(@archer)
Bronze
September 13, 2017 2:13 pm  

The splits are probably too big even though they are only about 6 inches I don't have the most athletic linemen.  We are not pulling but we are stepping to help the center in the a gap and the 3 tech is damn near coming off of the guards butt as he steps.  Does anyone have the footwork for the GOL?

This might help. http://www.addy.com:80/coachfree/BlockingFundamentals.htm l"> https://web.archive.org/web/20120901142622/http://www.addy.com:80/coachfree/BlockingFundamentals.html
I used Coach Freeb's stuff very successfully some years ago.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 15, 2017 9:26 am  

Recess the line as far as you can. This solves a ton of issues. Step flatter down the line and get head in front of defender. Work on get offs. Load weight in 2nd step foot. The foot work will vary with the block. This is just a down block. Look into severe angle blocking footwork. By flatter I mean the angle of the first step is 30° or even tighter if need be with the ps foot. Try telling the tackle that it is not just a step bit also a push with the back foot. Worst case step 90° straight down the line. Still think a cut is a solution. This should be a  simple block. A dt should have no problem blocking a 3.

All of the above, plus if you can do it via crab block, then do so; otherwise cut below the waist.

Another possibility (though I've never tried it): cross-block G & T.  G blocks out on the 3 tech, T comes flat down the line to help C's block on the nose.  In fact C might even take the back side half of the 0 to encourage him into the play side A gap, where the T will earhole him and the runner bend around between the G's & T's blocks.  I guess this is a tackle trap.  After brushing the back side of the 0, C can get into the LBs.  (And hey, if a 12 YO nose is subject to influence, C's taking the back side half of him could sucker him to that side!)

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
September 15, 2017 9:58 am  

Playside blocks GOL.  Backside reaches.  It's in my free online DC Wing T playbook.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Share: