Good to be BACK! In...

Notifications

Good to be BACK! Interesting year for me...I was the OC!  

RSS

CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
January 11, 2017 12:11 pm  

Ill be posting more about my crazy year asap.  As a favor my friend (begged actually lol) asked to help his sons team.  Im not sure i did but it was interesting.

So i showed up in week 4 out of 9...they had 3 offenses with no blocking schemes.  Play terminology was random and had no real meaning.  Then there were the "left overs" not my words...12 kids that had no position to practice that always sat on the side line.  I found out they also had no pass blocking rules or practice time.  The biggest issue was there was ABSOLUTELY no techniques taught whatso ever.  "dude' blocking and yelling thats about it.  There wasnt 1 skill position player that could be relied on and almost all were out of a position.

Like I said it was the worst cluster &*$# of all time.  SO by week 9 we could line up in formations and run plays on air like a decent offense......problem was there was no technique and no finish.  Ie...many times I had the play drawn up and called so that everyone was accounted for and frequently we had an extra blocker AND the ball carrier.....lol didnt work.  I tried to use formation to hide our softness..didnt work either.......Coach Dave Potters head would have blown off!

We based out of this (very similar to cox rifle)

5 G C G T T                            6
          2          3      4

"Whether you think you can, or cannot, you're probably right."

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
January 11, 2017 12:37 pm  

So how are the AA meetings going?  😛

Good to hear from you again.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
January 11, 2017 1:02 pm  

the worst cluster &*$# of all time.

That's a bold statement on this board. 😉

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
January 11, 2017 1:31 pm  

Geez a CF is a lot worse that the Giant Goat Rope most of us experience.

Left the Bar seat open for ya!  8)

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
January 11, 2017 1:42 pm  

C

Good to have you back hopefully you can join us on Skype too.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 11, 2017 4:46 pm  

Coach Dave Potters head would have blown off!

Too late.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold
Head Coach
January 12, 2017 4:52 am  

My man !!!!! i'm glad your back brother we got to connect cant wait to show you how the MULTIPLE 50 STACK HAS EVOLVED BRO......

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
January 12, 2017 7:53 am  

O ya!  I have some new defensive stuff for you too.

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold
Head Coach
January 12, 2017 7:57 am  

O ya!  I have some new defensive stuff for you too.

I got some things going on  so i cant wait to see what your doing and exchanging ideas....

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
January 23, 2017 10:36 am  

So this year I was the OC for a 7th/8th grade team.

Going into the week 3 of summer the original OC was let go, from that point forward there was multiple coaches with multiple play calls with multiple blocking....you get the idea.  I started in week 4 of 9.  By the end of the year we got to the point where we could line up correctly, run the offense correctly but struggled mightily with execution and toughness

I wont bore you with the rest but its safe to say a complete train wreck even for this forums horror stories.

what i did want to share is some of the formation/motion things we did to try and help this mod squad.

5GCGTT                    6
2            4 

was our base we called red

5GCGTT                    6
2                    4 

red slot

5GCGTT6                 
2              4 

red strong.

I used a right or left call to move the 3B to the Left or right of the 1B

Blue just flipped the formation.

Multiple times the defense would shift over to the unbalanced line and id shift the back field to the short side....on paper I had everyone blocked and no one left to tackle the ball carrier.....result???  2 yard gain....

Like you all know, no offensive scheme makes a difference if the kids haven't been taught anything & that leads to tentative players. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 28, 2017 2:52 am  

I wont bore you with the rest but its safe to say a complete train wreck even for this forums horror stories.

Sad to hear, but that's still a funny line. 🙁  😀

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachCraig
(@ch72)
Gold
February 8, 2017 8:14 am  

I thought about you alot actually..Mostly how youd be shaking your head quite a bit.....No matter how good the scheme, it doesn't matter unless you have some hard nosed kids willing to knuckle up. 

As the OC I outschemed every opponent we played....unfortunately those opponents all out "toughed" us....FYI tough beats scheme.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
February 23, 2017 3:50 am  

FYI tough beats scheme.

Yes, it does.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: