Notifications
Clear all

Have you ever had a moment...

Page 1 / 2

sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I was sitting in a glazier clinic this weekend and the presenter was speaking about their freeze play. He mentioned the way they do it and I felt like a complete jackass for never having thought of it.

How many of you use motion on your freeze play?  If you are a heavy jet team having your qb time his cadence with motion on freeze makes so much sense to me that I was annoyed I had never thought of it.

He also has a 2 cadence call. Get in formation. Qb calls out cadence. On their normal snap the O shifts formations, resets and starts cadence over to run the play.

This was a high school coach, he says they never go on 2 but they do run freeze and 2 cadence often enough to slow the dline but that once they changed to this his false starts went down drastically.

dcooz
(@dcooz)
Bronze

Same as no play. I did it a lot this yr with the DW. Coach DP taught me. Had roughly a 97% success rate and when it didn't work we reset and ran wedge for 5plus.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

How many of you use motion on your freeze play?

This is the only way we do it.  Since we are a heavy motion offense, we have to use motion if the no-play is going to look the same as a "real" play.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

Done it before when I was a Flexbone OC.  It worked great to get the defense to show their hand, then we could reset and call a play to attack what they showed us or just take the easy 5 yards.

Instead of just calling a TO when the defense jumps, it's best to either have a play called they can run (you can build this in that week or call it with the freeze play), or have the ability to signal in something from the sideline to run.

The cadence would be down... set... (motion here)... go...go go...go...  Then the QB would let out an "Easy!  Easy!" call and step out from under center to look at the sideline, which would tell the team we were about to call the next play at the LOS and the next cadence would be live.

ReplyQuote
sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Its so stupid simple that I felt like an idiot for never thinking of it.  Apparently that may be truer than I had hoped.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Instead of just calling a TO when the defense jumps, it's best to either have a play called they can run (you can build this in that week or call it with the freeze play), or have the ability to signal in something from the sideline to run.

We never burn a time-out with it.  We call the play with the freeze tag, so in the huddle it might be "Sleep--36 Toss," meaning we're going to run a freeze play but have a play called if the defense doesn't jump off-sides.  So we'll call our cadence at the LOS, run our shifts and motion and if the defense doesn't jump, our QB calls "Bingo!" which resets our offense, we run our shifts and motion again and then run 36-Toss.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

We never burn a time-out with it.  We call the play with the freeze tag, so in the huddle it might be "Sleep--36 Toss," meaning we're going to run a freeze play but have a play called if the defense doesn't jump off-sides.  So we'll call our cadence at the LOS, run our shifts and motion and if the defense doesn't jump, our QB calls "Bingo!" which resets our offense, we run our shifts and motion again and then run 36-Toss.

--Dave

You have to be able to do this. Easy enough to install. The good thing is now the defense in on their heals and often get blown up.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

We’ve always done it that way. We’ll do it w/ quick belly jump motion as well. In the past we’ve done it w/ a shift as well.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I was sitting in a glazier clinic this weekend and the presenter was speaking about their freeze play. He mentioned the way they do it and I felt like a complete jackass for never having thought of it.

How many of you use motion on your freeze play?  If you are a heavy jet team having your qb time his cadence with motion on freeze makes so much sense to me that I was annoyed I had never thought of it.

He also has a 2 cadence call. Get in formation. Qb calls out cadence. On their normal snap the O shifts formations, resets and starts cadence over to run the play.

This was a high school coach, he says they never go on 2 but they do run freeze and 2 cadence often enough to slow the dline but that once they changed to this his false starts went down drastically.

Since this Forum started I've had at least a half dozen "moments" per season just reading posts.

Lots of smart coaches have posted over the years.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Since this Forum started I've had at least a half dozen "moments" per season just reading posts.

My favorite is why do you need to cover 5 receivers if they only throw to one. I forget who it was, but that changed my outlook forever

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

I teach that as another series and call it GOGO. 

We normally snap the ball on Go.  On GOGO, my QB calls the first Go when my motion back is at the same point that we snap the ball in my half spin series.  He continues on behind the QB and out about 5 yards.  He sets for one second and then comes back in motion behind the QB and we snap the ball on the second GO and run half spin with the motion going opposite.  I get a lot of defense off sides penalties on the first Go and even when they quit jumping off sides, they are not jumping our snap count any more.

All my plays are on wrist coaches. The GOGO plays on the wrist coach are colored Bright Red.  I make inserts for the beginning of season practices with my warm up exercises numbered the same way I number my plays the whole season.  Some of the warm ups are GOGO and colored red.  I call the number for the exercise out loud and call the cadence myself during warmups.  If the number I called out is Red and says GOGO High Knees, you better not go on the first GO.  After doing extra pushups for a practice or two, they get good at going on the right count.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Like when Joe told me to just go get better players. I was like “what, I can do that?” lol. I’ve been a recruiting fool ever since.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

I don't see a need for a no-play as long as I have plays we can run on a high count, by which time the motion back's in a position where he can only be a receiver.

If the defense gets used to sitting on a high count, they may be set up for sleeper fly.  That's when the ball's snapped on 1 & handed to the motion back, but no players other than the snapper, QB/BB, & fly back move, while the signal caller continues to a high count during the live ball.  Also the sleeper sneak.

My HC from that season tried to run sleeper fly against us the next, but they didn't execute well, & it went nowhere.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

This is the only way we do it.  Since we are a heavy motion offense, we have to use motion if the no-play is going to look the same as a "real" play.

--Dave

Us as well.

Also with the jetting we timed up the snap with the motion as well. That's why I got away from Clarks cadence

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Monster
(@monster)
Gold

Us as well.

Also with the jetting we timed up the snap with the motion as well. That's why I got away from Clarks cadence

What cadence do you use now?

Mission Statement: To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: