Help with Quarterba...

Notifications

Help with Quarterback Training  

RSS

illinoisguy
(@illinoisguy)
Copper
January 28, 2020 11:44 am  

I need some help with quarterback training for my son and hoping to get some advice.  I searched online for a football forum similar to baseball-fever.com but there doesn't seem to be anything similar for football.  Anyway, my son wants to play tackle football next year (7th grade) for the first time.  He has a great arm (very good travel baseball pitcher) and has been successful playing quarterback in flag football.  I am currently sending him to group quarterback lessons run by an elite quarterback coach in the area a couple of times a month.  Ideally I would like to learn myself so I can help train him between lessons.  Are there any books/videos/YouTube/websites that will help with mechanics, reading defenses, footwork, drills etc?   Thanks!

Topic Tags
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
January 28, 2020 12:58 pm  

There should be a wealth of info here so you are in the right spot. Coach Joe has helped with my sons QB accolades as well as others here. Whatever you do, do not forget about the footwork and the aggression part of a QB. Killer instincts in a QB help keep them away from shutting down after a mistake. Make sure he is mentally prepared to be coached like no other player on the field.

As you probably know from the pitching aspect, me and my wife sat far away from parents while watching his games as to not hear the crud that comes out of parents mouths about the QB, so be prepared as well.
I had Rischad Whitfield and Jerrod Johnson working on my sons footwork and Sean Salisbury working on very technical stuff. It helped and it worked.
I'll look and see if I have some stuff I can share. Its been a while

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
January 28, 2020 1:07 pm  

If you have already committed to the QB Training with a Coach, honestly,  I suggest you start "Drill Search" with that particular Coach.  Throwing a Baseball and Football are similar, yet can be different.  Pronation vs Supination as an example.  Length of stride, Relationship of the elbow to the shoulder. etc. 

Given all that, your chosen coach should already have a pattern of drills he uses for his Camps.  Rather than have to "unlearn" you picked up off the internet when he gets to camp,  learning the coaches drills will make it easier for him to understand and make necessary corrections.  

Hope this helps.

Dusty

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 28, 2020 1:50 pm  
Posted by: @illinoisguy
I am currently sending him to group quarterback lessons run by an elite quarterback coach in the area a couple of times a month.  Ideally I would like to learn myself so I can help train him between lessons.  Are there any books/videos/YouTube/websites that will help with mechanics, reading defenses, footwork, drills etc? 

I would forgo the books/videos/YouTube/websites until/unless you have spoken to your son's coach.  QB fundamentals from a source other than your son's coach may conflict with what your son is being taught.  I'd ask your son's coach for books/videos/YouTube/websites as he will only recommend information that coincides with what he already teaches.  Outside of that, I'd spend each training session with your son and his coach and listen to (or video) the sessions.  That way, you'll reiterate not only what your son has learned, but can use the same language as well.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
January 28, 2020 1:53 pm  

As a QB trainer I have to agree with DP. Quite often it can become confusing & detrimental to a player to learn something his coach isn't doing. When I trained players I always spoke with their coach to make sure we were on the same page.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
illinoisguy
(@illinoisguy)
Copper
January 28, 2020 2:41 pm  

Thanks all.   Unfortunately the coach who runs the weekly camps (works with a number of pro QBs) hasn't published any books or videos that I can find and doesn't seem to have any training info online.   The camp is in a large gym and it is difficult to observe,   There are 15-20 kids in his age group/time with 4-6 coaches.   My son does give me feedback after lessons (he has only been to two so far).  

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 28, 2020 2:50 pm  

Unfortunately the coach who runs the weekly camps (works with a number of pro QBs) hasn't published any books or videos that I can find and doesn't seem to have any training info online. 

My suggestion wasn't to find out if your son's coach had produced books or videos, but to ask him for books/videos that he recommended.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
January 28, 2020 6:17 pm  

Maybe I'm slow on the uptake but it seems the suggestion is that the OP ask his son's eventual football coach for source materials, not the QB coach he's doing off-season work with. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
January 29, 2020 7:49 am  

Again, I would work with the person who is going to teach me.  Far harder to unlearn stuff that disagrees with his way of teaching.  I would find it odd that he doesn't have any materials he ascribes to / or recommends for use at his Camps.  

Dusty

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 29, 2020 9:51 am  
Posted by: @youth-coach

Again, I would work with the person who is going to teach me.  Far harder to unlearn stuff that disagrees with his way of teaching.  I would find it odd that he doesn't have any materials he ascribes to / or recommends for use at his Camps.  

Scott, how do we know that there isn't material available that he ascribes to?   Maybe I'm missing something...

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
January 29, 2020 11:42 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

Scott, how do we know that there isn't material available that he ascribes to?   Maybe I'm missing something...

--Dave

Dave, we don't unless he asks. Which is what we have been saying all along. 

Scott

ReplyQuote
illinoisguy
(@illinoisguy)
Copper
January 29, 2020 4:01 pm  

Just to clarify, the coach he is going to has a pretty extensive website but I do not see any sort of training material on it.  My son is going to the training camp this weekend so I will try to talk to the coach if he is there (he might be at the Super Bowl).  

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
January 29, 2020 4:07 pm  

Just to clarify, the coach he is going to has a pretty extensive website but I do not see any sort of training material on it.  My son is going to the training camp this weekend so I will try to talk to the coach if he is there (he might be at the Super Bowl).  

Not trying to blow you off.  If your son is going this weekend and the "Coach" is not going to be there.  I'm fairly certain whoever is going to run the camp would have a decent Idea of what Coach uses or at the very least can advise what drills to go over.  (Hint) Video what he does this weekend if you can.  No harm in repeating the same drills....

Just my Opinion.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
January 29, 2020 5:56 pm  

Not trying to blow you off.  If your son is going this weekend and the "Coach" is not going to be there.  I'm fairly certain whoever is going to run the camp would have a decent Idea of what Coach uses or at the very least can advise what drills to go over.  (Hint) Video what he does this weekend if you can.  No harm in repeating the same drills....

Just my Opinion.

Hey great minds........
IllGuy if you got my PM and you call be sure to text first as I am in class most of the day. I'm in texas so we probably in the same time zone

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Share: