hey coaches, its th...

Notifications
Clear all

hey coaches, its that time of year again, the dreaded off season!

Page 3 / 5

Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

You need to talk to Michael.

Done!  He was great help!  Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Done!  He was great help!  Thanks!

Wait he helped you? I was hoping he would demean and humiliate you! He just told me to BLOCK SOMEBODY!!!  >:(

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

Wait he helped you? I was hoping he would demean and humiliate you! He just told me to BLOCK SOMEBODY!!!  >:(

LOL!  Maybe I shouldn't have publicly admitted that he helped me.  If fact, he didn't.  He was an a$$.  Told me to BLOCK SOMEBODY!  Yea... that's my story.  (Now hopefully he will help me again)  8)

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

Not coaching in an official capacity this season. I ran DW last year with our 5 to 7 yo team. Lots of success with it. This year I will be an administrator only. Focused on pushing our coaches to sharpen their skills or we will be pushing them out of the org. Encouraging more dialog between each of the teams and more mentoring between our experienced coaches who know how to teach and our newer, greener guys who need to learn. I'm going to focus on providing our guys the resources to get better and encouraging them to improve themselves which should in turn improve our players.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
BobbyG
(@bobbyg)
Copper

Coaching 6th graders this year. Last chance to teach them the skills they need for school ball in 7th grade. I'll be running Jack's 63  for defense and a hybrid of eco and double wing. I learned a lot between Calande's and Gregory's double wing and PoW's zone blocking goodnes I feel I know what to coach to maximize the talent I will have.
Bobby

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Not coaching in an official capacity this season. I ran DW last year with our 5 to 7 yo team. Lots of success with it. This year I will be an administrator only. Focused on pushing our coaches to sharpen their skills or we will be pushing them out of the org. Encouraging more dialog between each of the teams and more mentoring between our experienced coaches who know how to teach and our newer, greener guys who need to learn. I'm going to focus on providing our guys the resources to get better and encouraging them to improve themselves which should in turn improve our players.

As to sharpening skills, I have found that having 1 big coaches meeting can work well.  Make it all coaches mandatory & they need pen and paper (bring some for coaches who forget) There is usually so much ego in the room you have to be mindful of this, a lot of coaches will roll their eyes & scoff when you or other coach is talking about the basic stuff, remind them this is so we are all on same page, we all know and heaven forbid we try to use some of the same nomenclature so kids dont have to learn a new language every year!  Keep conversation rolling not stagnant involve the coaches ask them a question or 2 about something then move to other coaches.  Have everyone sit down and get a big white erase board...Just start off meeting and jump right into it dont walk on eggshells delve right in!

"were starting with offense, and offense starts with the huddle, here we go"

#1) the huddle, discuss how far from the LOS, ask other coaches how far and why? How do you huddle up and why?
How are plays going to be communicated from sidelines to huddle?  This will take up some time and you may here some good ideas...more
importantly, the coaches that have never even thought of this, will now be thinking of it. Discuss no huddle, wrist coaches, quick set huddle
etc snap technique, practicing snap before practice with centers and QBs...believe it or not a lot of coaches will say "OOhhh yah that a good
idea I've never done that before" maybe even a simple :oh yah that makes sense"  oooorr they could just sit there with a "yah I know
everything" look on their face,  only to stutter and stammer if asked anything and then they will have the deer in headlights look!

-discuss line splits, this may vary pending offense so be mindful, a DW is foot to foot and the spread have 2 to 3 ft splits, this is all for a
reason and just RIPE! for a participatory discussion. How far, if at all, is the O line is recessed off the LOS? and why? This "why" is pretty 
important  as it will lead to what your blocking scheme is, usually, an excellent conversation to have
with all coaches. This may be the first some of them have ever heard of the topic.
Discuss the 3 point stance vs 2 point, have a coach or 2 stand up next to you to show splits, show the contrast between shallow to deep
recession from LOS so they can see what it looks like, whats legal? Even footed or staggered? and why?

haven't even snapped the ball yet or talked about any practice drills and this could be a whole evening (couple hours) right here, easily! Given that coaches may go off on tangents and undoubtedly start discussing blocking and play schemes pass routes etc

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold

And as we all start thinking of what we would of done differently and what we plan to do next season, I have a question. I want you all to state what O your planning on running next year, is it different from last? What age group? and where you are? You dont need to reveal specifics of where you are or play designs, just generalities will suffice.

Example: "I plan on running double wing as a base O, 7th graders 11 to 13's from Souther Cal. As a side note, some of you run more than one O, please list if so. 

My purpose here is to find out what offenses are being run and from where, no hidden agenda, no sales pitch, no judging just plain ole curiosity!

Coach OCD

I'll be running Pistol-Spread again (same as 2014) with 12-14s (mostly 8th graders).  Probably a few new wrinkles - maybe a little more emphasis on the option game, but otherwise pretty much exactly the same.  Southern California (San Diego).

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdoug
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

I coached Pop Warner Peewee's last year. Almost half of my guys were 7th graders. We will all move up to Jr. Midget this year so half of them will be 8th grader's and the rest will be 7th grader's. We are located on the East side of Washington state.

We ran a spread offense last year and a little bit of power I. Sounds pretty bi-polar I know. This year we will continue to run the spread with more emphasis on the option in an attempt to make our running game more dynamic. I am blessed to have an outstanding young quarterback and 3 very good receiver's. We were very pass dominant last year but working towards more balance for this season.

We were able to have success through the passing game in part due to a few special kids but also because nobody else in our league threw the ball much. My logic (which could obviously be flawed) was if they don't throw it in games they probably aren't throwing it much in practice and therefore probably wouldn't defend it well. Turned out to be the case but I'm not banking on that next season.

We had a pretty small team but we were fairly athletic. It was my first year as a football head coach and I definitely made my share of mistakes. We spent some time identifying those areas and now we are working on solutions.

ReplyQuote
CmartCoach
(@cmart)
Copper

Gun Run/Option

We've been a Pistol Spread Option team the past two seasons and we are evolving to a gun spread option this season. Move the back a few feet and its an entirely different offense for us that will look almost the same to most observers. Reason being that zone read is not cut out for the pistol as much as it is for gun and we really wanted to be a zone read team. Combination of pistol, poor RB play and probably even poorer coaching resulted in a championship game butt whoopin.

So, Gun Run spread n shred it is. Inside/outside zone read with some triple and quick game thrown in. Simple. Up tempo. Let's go.

Cmart

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Off: Wing T

Nothing has changed. Only difference is, we will be expanding on our shotgun, Malzahn style WT stuff. And we will be flipping our entire offense so we can run our base series (Buck & Belly) both ways.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Off: Wing T

Nothing has changed. Only difference is, we will be expanding on our shotgun, Malzahn style WT stuff. And we will be flipping our entire offense so we can run our base series (Buck & Belly) both ways.

I thought you already flipped your offense? And how much shotgun do you plan on using?

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

I thought you already flipped your offense? And how much shotgun do you plan on using?

Not really. A little bit. We would shift our TE out to SE, our SE would come in to TE, and then our HB would become the WB, and the WB would become the the HB. So technically our offense has flipped, just by shifting those guys. Now this looked cool, and it confused the D, but at the same time it took more practice time and it made too many guys learn different things. It also made it so key players weren't doing what they do best. We put all of our players in a specific spot thats best for the team. By flipping their assignments, all those guys are doing something thats not best suited for them.

We were basically doing our shifts like Bellevue does. This year we'll just be flipping the entire offense. Nothing will change, just tag it w/ FLIP and the offesne will know were left handed now instead of right.

As far as the gun stuff, thats TBT. We'll def have the personel for it. But we have to make sure we have our base stuff perfected first. The team coming up ran our offense on the PW's last year, so that will help. But idealy, would like to get into it 30% of the time, and against certain matchups, maybe even a 50/50 split.

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
Topic starter  

JC are you a delaware wing T or the red blue jet styled wing T?

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

JC are you a delaware wing T or the red blue jet styled wing T?

Well the 2 aren't mutually exclusive. We use the Delaware principles for the most part. We've adjusted some stuff to better fit the you level, but not much.

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

There's nothing to change were talking bout the greatest most thought out offense in history lmao!!!! Let's see were this goes 🙂

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5
Share: