Notifications
Clear all

How to run an offense against a constant all out bitz

Page 2 / 6

CHARLIEDONTSURF
(@charleydontsurf)
Copper

That much pressure is a gift.

Quick game.  Stick, snag, slants, seam, screens, swing, shoots, dumps, flats, fades.  Lots of catch and throw.  Pressure is irrelevant if you get the ball out fast, and there's an ocean of space behind that much pressure.  Speed the ball into it.  And don't get fancy.  Take what the D gives you.  Throw four 1-step slants in a row if they give it.  Keep screening or pitching around it until they adjust.  Etc.

Omit wasted time.  On some plays have your QB "attack" the snap (i.e., come downhill at the ball like he's a shortstop turning a double play).  Teach him to throw without the laces.  Move your backs up to 4 yards.  Offset a fullback (quicker to the flat).  Work takeoffs and eliminate false steps by backs and receivers.  Shorten down routes and use lean, speed cuts and "double-pounds."  I promise you can whittle things down to where you have plenty of time.

Formations.  Spread 'em out.  Consider stacking receivers and/or using "rub" concepts in your quick game.  You can control the first 2 seconds of most any play.  If you like tight formations, remember two players who tend to get lost against pressure are TE and FB (if you use those positions).  Shoot a flat, dump in the seam, chip/bluff and go, etc.  Quick, high percentage throws into space.  Middle schoolers also can't jam worth a damn.  Take advantage. 

Run game.  Your mileage may vary, but I run at speed, I don't try to run around it.  It's like Days of Thunder - I pick a line and drive through it and, bam.  Wide open space.  I hit so fast inside that too much pressure overruns the ball and penetrates too far into the backfield to be relevant.  I like trap, especially outside trap.  I wham a lot.  I like unbalanced lines and double teams whether or not we get good at comboing up.  I like young linemen forward, not recessed, to make certain they win leverage and don't whiff.  I like a 2-point stance since it removes three counts from a player's getoff and makes him faster (although I admittedly get overruled by my line coaches haha).  I guess you could say I try to blitz the blitz.  More than anything this approach results in no negative plays, which is the entire basis of my offense.  I'm all about cost and opportunity cost.  And if your linemen are angry and you have a fullback who murders people, it can be withering, especially when you drive the field, eat up a bunch of clock, and score anyway (and pair it with an aggressive defense who's goal is to either give up a long touchdown or get the ball back in 3 plays and do it all over again).  😀

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Constant all out blitz is easier to scheme vs. than occasional selective blitzes.

Against gap-8, all you need do is for the moment get a couple of DLs to stay in their gaps, & have a blocking back deflect the one at the POA.  Then you have a whole posse who can take out the LB & secondary.  Nobody has to stay on a block more than an instant.  All you need are adequate, but not excessive, splits, & quick hitters.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

That much pressure is a gift.

Only if you know what to do with it.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Successful blocking is less about size and more about knowing who to block/how to block/why to block.

This. ^

Beginning players seem to focus on murdering or being murdered by the player opposite them, rather than developing a general sense of the play.  (Of course that's largely because trying to murder the guy opposite you is fun!)  They're so immersed in that, that a few times one or another has asked me after the game, "Did we win?"  It's not glamorous being a cog in the machine, so they need to develop awareness that doing XYZ is a "win" for them on that play.  Blockers in particular have to understand it's not scored like wrestling!

I'd like to be able to develop kids' football IQ faster, but it seems the only players taught that sort of thing systematically are inside LBs, & coaches tend to install players in that position who already have a lot of that sense.  I've tried to conduct drills that made clearer what was supposed to go on, but many of my efforts have been unsuccessful.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

I know i dont play you sooo theres that

With the 10, we play 00 vs any spread and are currently undefeated vs spread teams.

I have no problem sending 7 and covering 4 vs spread. At least 2 will get in the backfield just based on numbers 5v7 ...usually its 4 but thats subjective.

A good spread team will probably beat us, players matter... a lot

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I know i dont play you sooo theres that

Well done Zach.  🙂

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Successful blocking is less about size and more about knowing who to block/how to block/why to block.  Smaller players can still get leverage by getting underneath an opponent's pad level, or by blocking him down, or out. --Dave

One thing Jack taught me (Clark also) was the mathematics behind the Angles that a smaller player can multiply his force but 150 % just by taking a 70 degree angle on the defender.

I actually love the smaller players, they have a mean streak in them that you can tap into. Especially if they are younger siblings. Some of them are down right nasty. I have never thought I had a disadvantage due to players size, use it to an advantage.
Well I don't want to say never... when I first started coaching I would complain about players size and aggression, then I found this place..

No more do I complain.

Coaching youth football is like playing poker..... All coaches are dealt a winning hand, its how you play that hand that determines if you win or lose

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Before we start getting scheme specific lets find out what offense we are dealing with.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Before we start getting scheme specific lets find out what offense we are dealing with.

You right, i was speaking most on the "spread them out" tidbit

My baaaad

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

You right, i was speaking most on the "spread them out" tidbit

My baaaad

It wasn't directed at anyone. We all start throwing out solutions that are scheme specific to what we run. There are legit universal suggestions but it would be better if we could get scheme specific to what the op is running.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

I am going to wait for the OP to reply before I weigh in...

Okay, who am I kidding...

Double Wing team should be able to punish a team for sending 8 every time...we need more detail in what you are teaching (or not) in order to help...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

We all start throwing out solutions that are scheme specific to what we run.

Actually I was thinking more in terms of what I don't run, and don't even prefer to run!  Just that I see more ways to skin this cat.  If I absolutely knew the defense would be a gap-8, game after game, and the OL was weak, the offense I'd put in would be like one I think I saw diagrammed here once.  The formation would look like Tulsa box, except the line splits would be bigger, so the QBs (HBs?  Whatever the pair close to C are called.) would be in the A gaps, which would be the widest of the gaps.  The base play would be a crossbuck, the ball snapped blind down the middle for the 2 deep backs (FBs?) to cross paths on it, while the QB/HBs would kick out the opposing DL at the POA and the fake POA on the other side.  Blocking next to the POA would be man away, part the seas, with the DL at the POA let thru to be knocked sideways by the QB/HB.  Every OL outside the POA would block FBI at 2nd (3rd?) level.  If you wanted to be conservative, the next OL inside & outside the POA would also block man-away.  Mix in a few snaps to the QB/HBs just to keep them honest, and that's the whole running game.

If you're an OL on a DL and the DL rushes the gap he's lined up in, just use hands to direct him into that gap.  If he tries to cross your face, that's when you use your body across him.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I received a PM from the OP.  He opened up a bit more of what he dealt with, last season.  I suggested he continue to post here because of the amount of assistance he'll receive.  I also gave him my number if he wanted to call.  We'll see... The ball's in his court.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I received a PM from the OP.  He opened up a bit more of what he dealt with, last season.  I suggested he continue to post here because of the amount of assistance he'll receive.  I also gave him my number if he wanted to call.  We'll see... The ball's in his court.

--Dave

I hope he does continue to post!  Welcome to the madness!  🙂

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I am going to wait for the OP to reply before I weigh in...

Okay, who am I kidding...

Double Wing team should be able to punish a team for sending 8 every time...we need more detail in what you are teaching (or not) in order to help...

A double wing team has many of the solutions built in.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 6
Share: