How to run an offen...

Notifications
Clear all

How to run an offense against a constant all out bitz

Page 3 / 6

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I received a PM from the OP.  He opened up a bit more of what he dealt with, last season.  I suggested he continue to post here because of the amount of assistance he'll receive.  I also gave him my number if he wanted to call.  We'll see... The ball's in his court.

--Dave

Yeah, come on and post. Just about everybody here got beat up a bit when they first started. We know the answer is block better but we also know how involved that is. The newbs must think "well, no shit" or they are still thinking there is some magic bullet. There is, it just is never what people think it is. So yeah, block better. But I want to help the guy and work with what he is running. It os hard to explain how to block betyer without knowing what he is running. Hopefully he gets back on and we can dial in and get some stuff fixed and get him on the right path.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Yeah, come on and post. Just about everybody here got beat up a bit when they first started. We know the answer is block better but we also know how involved that is. The newbs must think "well, no shit" or they are still thinking there is some magic bullet. There is, it just is never what people think it is. So yeah, block better. But I want to help the guy and work with what he is running. It os hard to explain how to block betyer without knowing what he is running. Hopefully he gets back on and we can dial in and get some stuff fixed and get him on the right path.

Amen

I didn't know crap when I got here.
I still don't  know enough

The door to knowledge should never close

Forgot who said that

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

Break down your game film. Ask yourself and write down your why and what questions. Why didn't my player make his block? What are the defenses doing, exactly? Are my plays developing to long? Did I vary my snap count? How fluid were my backfield actions? Could I change my line splits or recess more? Did I have enough formations for my base plays? How did I structure my practices? How did I get my players to buy in? What attitudes did I allow, team culture I developed? Did I try to do to much with to little? What could I do to change any of my above answers? How did I relate my goals and myself to the team? Once you have answered those questions, you can find the answers.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Break down your game film.

--Of course, but there may not be game film.

Why didn't my player make his block?

--And what if you don't know the answer?  What if your assumption is that the other team is just "better?"

What are the defenses doing, exactly?

--Rushing eight.

Are my plays developing to long? Did I vary my snap count? How fluid were my backfield actions? Could I change my line splits or recess more? Did I have enough formations for my base plays? How did I structure my practices? How did I get my players to buy in? What attitudes did I allow, team culture I developed?

--Good questions, all.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

If no game film, then you cannot break down why your player didn't make his block. Nor would you be able to answer some of the questions. How were they rushing 8? Same way by all teams? You would probably need film to know that too. Just wanted to help the coach get help, with what he knows and piece together what he doesn't. I have had my fair share of failures and the biggest problem, the football culture I brought. They way over thought and showed lack of want. You know that is all on the coach. The other guy was bigger, faster, meaner. The first two maybe true, but the third is culture. With the right attitude and adjustments, it can be done.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

If no game film, then you cannot break down why your player didn't make his block. Nor would you be able to answer some of the questions.

--I agree.  No one's a bigger film guy than I am.  Heck, I bought a van just to be able to have a platform to shoot from.  But in middle school, finding a decent place to film from is often more of a challenge than even finding someone willing to film.  I always had film, but it's certainly more of a challenge at the middle school and youth levels because of the venues.

The first two maybe true, but the third is culture. With the right attitude and adjustments, it can be done.

--Agree 100%, Eric.  Culture is the single most overlooked aspect of coaching football, while at the same time the most important.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

Amen

I didn't know crap when I got here.
I still don't  know enough

The door to knowledge should never close

Forgot who said that

Amen. I still don't know crap. That's why I keep coming back.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Amen. I still don't know crap. That's why I keep coming back.

I like to pretend I know crap but when I get down to it, I don't really know crap.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Varying the snap count is big. I take the snap count pretty seriously. I know for many it’s just a formality. Going on 1st sound can really mess up the timing of blitzes.

Put in some stay calls for your pulling lineman. If you’re DTDW, I know a lot of DTDW coaches have a wash call.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Varying the snap count is big. I take the snap count pretty seriously.

Agree.  That's huge.  It can do wonders for keeping a defense ill at ease.  Problem is, many coaches don't know how to manipulate a cadence without having their own players jump offsides.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CHARLIEDONTSURF
(@charleydontsurf)
Copper

Varying the snap count is big. I take the snap count pretty seriously. I know for many it’s just a formality. Going on 1st sound can really mess up the timing of blitzes.

I agree varying the snap count is big, although it's not often clear which team it's big for haha  :D.  I see a lot of offenses pay 10-20 yards in penalties for every 5 yards they buy.  Or worse, their lineman are just as slow off the snap as the defense they hope to make hesitate.

I emphasize cadence discipline.  That said, my general belief is being late is worse than being early.  So if it's too variable too often I'm okay with a defense anticipating our snap count so long as we're anticipating it, too.  I'll deal with it schematically; timing is much more important to me.

It's not as big a problem in middle school as, say, pop warner.  In Pop Warner I've found kids do better with sequences than "go on 2" (color, etc.)

• "Monday, Tuesday"
  • "Red, White, Blue"

Etc.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

I agree varying the snap count is big, although it's not often clear which team it's big for haha  :D.  I see a lot of offenses pay 10-20 yards in penalties for every 5 yards they buy.  Or worse, their lineman are just as slow off the snap as the defense they hope to make hesitate.

I emphasize cadence discipline.  That said, my general belief is being late is worse than being early.  So if it's too variable too often I'm okay with a defense anticipating our snap count so long as we're anticipating it, too.  I'll deal with it schematically; timing is much more important to me.

It's not as big a problem in middle school as, say, pop warner.  In Pop Warner I've found kids do better with sequences than "go on 2" (color, etc.)

• "Monday, Tuesday"
  • "Red, White, Blue"

Etc.

We practice it every day w/ our stance & starts. If you don’t practice it every day, I agree, really tough to get good w/ it. Will wind up biting you.

Going on 1st sound & having freeze is pretty much all you need.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

We practice it every day w/ our stance & starts. If you don’t practice it every day, I agree, really tough to get good w/ it. Will wind up biting you.

Going on 1st sound & having freeze is pretty much all you need.

Silent count!

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Silent count!

That reminds me that Michael gave me the idea of having a snap count where we used a name. That way when the kids came to the LOS, I could yell from the sideline “HEY, WHERE’S CHARLIE?” and the team goes on Charlie.

Pretty brilliant idea for a couple times a game. I’ve never tried it but I def plan to.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 6
Share: