Notifications
Clear all

How to run an offense against a constant all out bitz

Page 5 / 6

COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Lmao.

I have a ref friend who I bounce all this stuff off. He basically tells me the rules, & then what/how they’ll actually be enforced. I’ve had a number of ideas that are technically legal that he’s told me not to try cuz the refs wont call it right. He’s a pretty valuable resource.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I have a ref friend

Even if that were true, I would never admit it.  But it isn't true.  And it's not remotely possible to be true.  Ever.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Even if that were true, I would never admit it.  But it isn't true.  And it's not remotely possible to be true.  Ever.

--Dave

Keep your enemies closer...

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The easiest offense I know is Cisar's single wing.

I thought about suggesting that.  But I figured, if he thinks he's a DWer at heart, read The Toss and let's get started.  That will tell a newbie more about the offense and whether it appeals, than anything else out there.  Then if you still want to sign on, there's all sorts of materials out there along the way that will quicken the development.  But Jerry's book will let you know if the offense is for you.  Regardless, he should still read DC's book because it tells you a lot of stuff you need to know along the way about coaching.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

So far from what I have read, I like the double wing and would like to try that next year. 

Read everything you can on the DW... good bad and ugly....and be wary of any DW coach that tells you its an easy offense to install and trouble shoot.

That would be like chef Ramsey telling you how easy beef wellington is to make.

Both have enough experience to completely forget how difficult something truly is to master....and neither the DW or beef wellington gives you much  wiggle room along the way.

But when the DW gets clicking....it works....very well.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CHARLIEDONTSURF
(@charleydontsurf)
Copper

I know there’s an all deaf team out here that uses drums for their snap count, which in theory would be no different than yelling a count from the sideline. Granted the all deaf school might have a special exception.

Don't want to sidetrack the thread but we have a school for the deaf here in Austin. They beat a huge drum on the sideline.  Done it since we were kids.  If you've never played deaf kids before, it's intimidating the first you play them haha.  They grunt and growl and make all sorts of unconscious sounds.  They're usually older, too.  Interesting experience.

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

Varying the snap count is big. I take the snap count pretty seriously. I know for many it’s just a formality. Going on 1st sound can really mess up the timing of blitzes.

Put in some stay calls for your pulling lineman. If you’re DTDW, I know a lot of DTDW coaches have a wash call.

One season, years ago, I experimented in practice with the players going on the number called. i.e.. Our cadence was  "Down, Set... One, Two or Three. I had the entire team yell the cadence together.  So, if the play was on 'Two', they would all yell, "Down, Set, One..Two!" and blast off on 'Two' ( On 'Two' was the base snap.)  I then had only the QB calling out the cadence. Everyone else just kept cadence silently. I scrapped the idea before the season started and went with our standard cadence- Ready, Down, Set, Hit!

Along about the 3rd or 4th game our starting QB gets a boo boo and has to come out.  The backup QB goes in and when he called the play he had reverted back to calling out the snap count by the numbers. I tried to get him to go with our standard snap.  But, the kid was so nervous, he just kept on using the numbers.  I gave up and just let it ride. When the starting QB went back in, he started using the numbers, also.  It all actually worked out pretty well. The defense just couldn't anticipate the snap. 

FTR, On 'Zero' was our freeze play. I never called it during that game. We went back to using the standard snap count for the rest of the games.

Oh, and so I don't derail the thread, to the OP: I'd concentrate on getting better at coaching the O-line. Your offense and O-linemen weren't the problem; neither were the defenses. It takes a little time and a lot of commitment. But, the other coaches have already got you going down the right path.  O-line is so much fun and rewarding to coach.  GL on your season next year! 

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Good point. Tho I doubt anyone would realize what was going on if it was once or twice a game. Seems like it might be a good call in a 4th and 1 situation.

It’d be interesting to learn the rules on that though. I know there’s an all deaf team out here that uses drums for their snap count, which in theory would be no different than yelling a count from the sideline. Granted the all deaf school might have a special exception.

It's not about signaling from the sideline per se.  It's just that the sentence that was suggested, "Hey, where's Charlie?" would suggest that the team wasn't ready to put the ball in play, whether it was communicated from the sideline or not.  "Watch out for Charlie" would have the same effect but not that problem.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

It's not about signaling from the sideline per se.  It's just that the sentence that was suggested, "Hey, where's Charlie?" would suggest that the team wasn't ready to put the ball in play, whether it was communicated from the sideline or not.  "Watch out for Charlie" would have the same effect but not that problem.

We can use whatever set of words we want as our snap count.  If we said “WHERE’S CHARLIE, DON’t MOVE AN INCH” & we snapped the ball, we’d be fine.

I think it’d be impossible for the refs to determine whether we were using a silent count or signaling from then sidelines.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

We can use whatever set of words we want as our snap count.  If we said “WHERE’S CHARLIE, DON’t MOVE AN INCH” & we snapped the ball, we’d be fine.

I think it’d be impossible for the refs to determine whether we were using a silent count or signaling from then sidelines.

I always thought it would be fun to have a signing cadence.

Kids are probably to shy for that though.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

I always thought it would be fun to have a signing cadence.

Kids are probably to shy for that though.

Whatever the case, since it was Michales idea, we will do it next year to honor his legacy. He had a million ideas he never got to do cuz he wasn’t the header.

ReplyQuote
Geoketc
(@geoketc)
Copper
Topic starter  

I thought about suggesting that.  But I figured, if he thinks he's a DWer at heart, read The Toss and let's get started. 

Coach, I have the book "The Toss" on the way. Thanks for the advice on that, it sounds like a good start.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Coach, I have the book "The Toss" on the way. Thanks for the advice on that, it sounds like a good start.

Yes, it does.  Let's roll!

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

It is a good one.

While you're waiting, if you want to check out the author's site, it's right here:

http://doublewing.org/

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

You still don't get it.  There's nothing illegal about signaling from the sidelines or mentioning a player by name.  What's illegal is essentially telling the other team, "We're not ready."

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6
Share: