How to run an offen...

Notifications
Clear all

How to run an offense against a constant all out bitz

Page 6 / 6

COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

You still don't get it.  There's nothing illegal about signaling from the sidelines or mentioning a player by name.  What's illegal is essentially telling the other team, "We're not ready."

But i’m not telling the other team we’re not ready. I’m telling my team our snap count.

Also, if that was the case, how does the “wrong ball play” exist?

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I thought about suggesting that.  But I figured, if he thinks he's a DWer at heart, read The Toss and let's get started.  That will tell a newbie more about the offense and whether it appeals, than anything else out there.  Then if you still want to sign on, there's all sorts of materials out there along the way that will quicken the development.  But Jerry's book will let you know if the offense is for you.  Regardless, he should still read DC's book because it tells you a lot of stuff you need to know along the way about coaching.

--Dave

Philosophically the offenses are similar. Ground and pound. I always suggest Cisar's stuff to new coaches. Not so much for the schemes, which are no doubt solid, but for all the other stuff in there.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

How does any illegal play exist?  It's taught.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Going the opposite direction of "normal", I would widen out my splits. This Spring, we'll be fielding a bunch of HS Freshmen in a HS league. Our league allows Freshmen under 165 lbs to play in the 8th grade division. Last season we had a couple of 300lbers, 3 over 225 and maybe 7 total over 200. So we're going to put this "undersized" thing to the test. Plan A is to run a version of the A11 so we won't need an o-line, but I'm fairly sure that we'll go to a "conventional" offense or something that looks like ti at some point.

We usually go with progressive splits, which is 3, 4 and 5 feet (6 feet between power tackle and TE if we are unbalanced). We've pushed the splits pretty darned far at times. The idea is to move the big D linemen before the snap so you don't have to after the snap.

The late, great Michael had this to say:

"We're a hands team but we block body to body.

Our goal is to get under the defender, elevate him, get him back on his heels, walk/run him, and put him on the ground.

But as long as we get him partially elevated and end up in a stalemate, with him tied up, we think we're OK."

At one point, he was really high on "tip of the spear" blocking from USA Football. I shelled out the $50 to purchase the videos and I was sold. It is absolutely the right way to block for mega splits. I tried it with 2nd graders last season and it was very effective at neutralizing size.

There's also his 16 points of oline coaching:  http://www.dumcoach.com/michael-philosophies/16-points-of-oline-coaching-april-2014/

Big thanks to Zach for putting that down in a list.

Anyway, Mahonz and I will let you know how it goes this Spring and will post film. Can an athletic 165lb OT stop a 265lb DT from making a tackle? I believe he can. I guess we'll find out.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

But i’m not telling the other team we’re not ready. I’m telling my team our snap count.

That's legal.  But it might be illegal if the way you say it is like, "Hey, let's stop play until we get this straightened out."

From before that rule was written explicitly outlawing it.  Also still by coaches who don't know the rule.  It got so much publicity, people think it's still legal.  Arguably it used to be legal, in that it wasn't explicitly illegal, although officials might've flagged it under general provisions of the rules.

ReplyQuote
Coach Jeff
(@coach-jeff)
Bronze

Wing T Offense, utilize down blocks.  Utilizing down blocks will allow to gain some leverage. Keep in mind the defensive linemen are watching the ball so a good down block can get them washed. We down block and kick-out on pretty much every play.  As far as beating the blitz, we like jet and rocket sweep, when they send 8 defenders that means they have no one outside.  The best thing about jet and rocket sweep is that you only need to block 2 defenders to gain big yardage.  In addition, your kids need clear blocking rules in order to pick up the blitz.  Many youth or middle school coaches don't have blocking rules, they just run plays and tell their kids to block the person in front of them. 

In addition, I like to hit the defense with unbalanced formations to create alignment conflict. If you go fast and unbalanced the defense won't have time to adjust and blitz. Make the defense play at your pace. Also, mixing up snap counts are important.

Best plays vs the blitz.

Jet & Rocket Sweep
Wedge
Split screen

Here is an excellent article regarding beating the blitz: https://youthfootballonline.com/top-3-plays-that-beat-the-blitz/

For the promotion and instruction of youth football! http://www.youthfootballonline.com

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 6
Share: