Inverted Wishbone /...

Notifications

Inverted Wishbone / Diamond / Bunch  

RSS

michealmyers
(@michealmyers)
Bronze
March 1, 2018 4:45 am  

Ran across some inverted wishbone / diamond plays and I kinda like the looks of it.  Got to digging into it further and haven't really found much info or plays. 

Same goes for Bunch formation.  I've seen a few series of plays here and there but again, not a lot of stuff out there on it. 

Have any of you guys run these formations, any suggestions?

This will be for a 11/12 team and in shotgun

michealmyers
(@michealmyers)
Bronze
March 1, 2018 4:48 am  

Here's some of the bunch stuff I found

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
March 1, 2018 5:01 am  

Colts coach has an entire playbook here on site for diamond

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
michealmyers
(@michealmyers)
Bronze
March 1, 2018 5:28 am  

hmmm...ok trying to find it

ReplyQuote
Spyder89
(@spyder89)
Bronze
March 1, 2018 5:45 am  

I know there's more on here, but I found this one for you:

http://www.dumcoach.com/pistol-style-football/diamond-pistol-download/

- Ray

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
March 1, 2018 9:26 am  

Ran across some inverted wishbone / diamond plays and I kinda like the looks of it.  Got to digging into it further and haven't really found much info or plays. 

Same goes for Bunch formation.  I've seen a few series of plays here and there but again, not a lot of stuff out there on it. 

Have any of you guys run these formations, any suggestions?

This will be for a 11/12 team and in shotgun

The thing is that the formations aren't necessarily the offense.  A formation can be used for lots of different things.

Leo Hand has a book and DVD series on the Diamond out there.

The Andrew Coverdale book "The Bunch Attack" is a good look at using Bunch formations for a passing attack, but it's a little complex for youth.

If I were going to base out of a Diamond set, I'd base around Zone Read Triple to the TB with a pair of RB types at the offset RB spots.  I'd use the offset backs as pitch backs and also to load defenders in different ways like New Mexico does and rely on splitting out or motioning backs to create multiple formations from the base Diamond formation.  A good core for that type of offense would be Zone Read Triple with some tags, Inverted Zone Read with the other 2 backs blocking, Speed Option, Zone Counter with an H-Back kicking out the "backside" DE, and maybe Trap and Trap Option to work A gap.

As for Bunch, you mainly want to concentrate on throwing the ball with quick passes that create natural "rubs," as well as some screens and Air Raid type of concepts.  The main reason to use the Bunch is to make it tough for defenses to just play press man on your receivers or to force them to move their overhangs way outside of the box to clean things up to run the ball.  You can also use a Tight Bunch close to the T to set up a sweep (I've faced an opponent who uses a Tight Bunch to get an edge for QB Sweep and it's tough) or help get an edge for running outside on Speed Option and those sort of plays.  Between the tackles, the running game is really no different from what you can do with any other spread formation.

ReplyQuote
michealmyers
(@michealmyers)
Bronze
March 1, 2018 5:04 pm  

Really like what I’ve seen from the diamond formation, I think I could tweak it a bit to run it from the youth level, same with bunch. 

ReplyQuote
Share: