Clear all

Jet Sweep Questions

Page 4 / 4

Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  

@dkturtle

Yep. I thought long and hard about doing that. The film of the last few years deterred me. Way too many fumbled shotgun snaps. I didn't remember it being so bad... but I think we ought to be fine without it.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
DKTurtle
(@dkturtle)
Bronze

@coach-kyle

I don't think either way is objectively better. Gun is trading some deception for an extra blocker, under center is trading the extra blocker for some deception. I will say focusing on finding a center in gun is a priority early and sometimes have to take a kid that I would rather be playing somewhere else in order to make sure the snaps are good. 

Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Posted by: @coach-kyle

@bucksweep58 We're 8/9 yr old. We're definitely doing jet and a quick belly. Contemplating how I want to do counter still. Might just do a boot. It looks like we've got 3 dependable running backs. One kid could be a FB or a wing. Might do xx or sally. Might be bold and do belly xb or down. What reverse and screen did you have in mind? 

Guess it's formation dependant only used jet with dcwt and spread so I'll use dcwt

---------6------0--0-C-0--0---5 

------------------------1-------------------4

-------------------3----2 

Series left

Jet 47

Jet 23  

Jet left 32 trap 

Jet power screen

Series right was no change  since WB goes to 6 hole in plays right

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @dkturtle

I've run jet with smurfs for a while now. The way we do it is 2x2 with both TEs in a nasty split with WBs inside of them. QB is in shotgun, he is the main ballcarrier. A sniffer behind one of the guards. WB on the opposite side of the formation of the sniffer does the jet action. We can run the jet or it can just be window dressing and we have essentially snapped the ball to the RB in an offset I. We can run any play you would run out of an offset I, sweep/lead/counter/trap/etc. We will also hand the ball to the strong side WB coming back the other way or snap the ball directly to the sniffer on a wedge. Passing attack is mostly throwing back to the TE on the same side that the jet WB came from to take advantage of a defense that flows with the jet action. 

Are you the one who linked those great videos of this here several years ago?

It's funny because this is so close to what I'm promoting.  All you'd have to do it move that sniffer close enough (if he isn't already) to reach under center and have him angled to face the opposite side WB, and then you can snap to the sniffer for the jet play.

Doing it that way, you don't have a player who has to catch a thrown snap and then hand off in quick succession; the ball exchange as a reach-take between the sniffer and the wing is very quick and easy, plus you have one more body screening the exchange from the view of much of the defense.  Or the wing passes by the sniffer who can then turn around and hand to the opposite wing arriving later going the opposite way, either inside or outside.  Or the sniffer can hand to the deep back for a dive or belly.

And on plays snapped to the deep back, you still have that sniffer as an extra blocker.  And if you can ever time the snap close to (preferably just behind) when the wing runs thru, that's another good visual screen that helps hide the fact that the deep back got the snap.  (However, if you adopted this scheme largely to avoid the timing problem on the snap and jet handoff, you may not want to try for that screening effect.

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Bob Goodman

ReplyQuote
DKTurtle
(@dkturtle)
Bronze

@bob-goodman

No but I remember seeing some videos similar to what I was doing. I believe they pulled a playside guard rather than having a sniffer but if we are thinking of the same videos, I run something very close to that. 

The whole purpose for me to go gun with the sniffer is that I get the sniffer lead blocking on the jet play. Snapping it to the sniffer would negate that. 

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

@bob-goodman

No but I remember seeing some videos similar to what I was doing. I believe they pulled a playside guard rather than having a sniffer but if we are thinking of the same videos, I run something very close to that. 

The whole purpose for me to go gun with the sniffer is that I get the sniffer lead blocking on the jet play. Snapping it to the sniffer would negate that. 

True, I can't materialize a body from nowhere.  And the deep back couldn't get there in time.

That's always been the "problem" with jet/fly: getting the runner that head start while getting bodies in front of him.  Unless you're playing by Canadian rules.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Posted by: @bob-goodman

@bob-goodman

True, I can't materialize a body from nowhere.  And the deep back couldn't get there in time.

That's always been the "problem" with jet/fly: getting the runner that head start while getting bodies in front of him.  Unless you're playing by Canadian rules.

So I guess that means you have to have a plan to block the Edge already in place before you run Jet.  Folks the whole concept of Jet is Speed!  You're not pulling a bunch of people to lead this...its Bang, Bang, Speed! As such, I believe,  its very similar to Option.  Who are the 4 Defenders play side that need to get blocked/screened to get this off the edge and into the open ASAP?  Once you figure that out I suggest your Jet will be effective.  I would go so far at to say the if you get the DE, OSLB, and Corner Blocked, the Back should be able to make the safety miss!   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @youth-coach

@bob-goodman

So I guess that means you have to have a plan to block the Edge already in place before you run Jet.  Folks the whole concept of Jet is Speed!  You're not pulling a bunch of people to lead this...its Bang, Bang, Speed! As such, I believe,  its very similar to Option.  Who are the 4 Defenders play side that need to get blocked/screened to get this off the edge and into the open ASAP?  Once you figure that out I suggest your Jet will be effective.  I would go so far at to say the if you get the DE, OSLB, and Corner Blocked, the Back should be able to make the safety miss!   

I look at it the other way around: not to try to make jet work, but to make sure the defense has to keep guys out there to stop it, and can't bring guys from inside fast enough to stop it.  Then to fake jet all the time, and actually run it only as a constraint play.

ReplyQuote
DKTurtle
(@dkturtle)
Bronze

Posted by: @youth-coach

@bob-goodman

I lead with the sniffer only because a nasty TE is the widest player I use. Sniffer gets out on the CB, TE blocks the #2 defender counting from the outside in. WB inside the nasty TE blocks #3. We get those 3 blocks and we expect a big play. 

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: