Left and right hand...

Notifications
Clear all

Left and right handed tendencies - youth football

Page 2 / 2

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

And further, does that mean a DC should play his best DE or best OLB on the left or over the offenses right side?

The better coached teams will be aware of these tendencies so they will try not to have them. The basic tendencies are right/left, field/boundary, near/away sideline. So which do you stack? The best answer would be a front that flips on strength call based on scouting. Most youth teams don't do that. It's coaching intensive from a reps standpoint. A 3 tech that flips is going to need reps from both sides. It's why we never flipped our oline. Really easy to over think this. Do you stack a side based on what the league does as a whole or to what your best opponent will do? We did not flip our front so we tried to keep the talent balanced.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

The better coached teams will be aware of these tendencies so they will try not to have them. The basic tendencies are right/left, field/boundary, near/away sideline. So which do you stack? The best answer would be a front that flips on strength call based on scouting. Most youth teams don't do that. It's coaching intensive from a reps standpoint. A 3 tech that flips is going to need reps from both sides. It's why we never flipped our oline. Really easy to over think this. Do you stack a side based on what the league does as a whole or to what your best opponent will do? We did not flip our front so we tried to keep the talent balanced.

I had a call to flip my DT's to address certain situations.  It was not that difficult to do and was pretty effective.  Biggest issue was with stunts, but I usually had all of my defensive linemen playing different sides periodically so that we would have that flexibility. 

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold

I consciously made the left side the "stronger" side of our OL.  My reasoning was that defenses tended to load up their stronger, heavier players to the right because most offenses tend to focus on running right, plus I wanted to run a lot of bootleg off our base runs and our QB was a lot better when he booted to the right off run fakes to the left.  It worked pretty well.

Yes, this is exactly what I've done for years.  I like to have my best overall OL at LT, my most athletic G at RG (he'll be pulling left on Trap, Power and Counter), a strong blocker at LG, a smart, consistent player at C, and the best, biggest guy remaining at RT.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdoug
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Yes, this is exactly what I've done for years.  I like to have my best overall OL at LT, my most athletic G at RG (he'll be pulling left on Trap, Power and Counter), a strong blocker at LG, a smart, consistent player at C, and the best, biggest guy remaining at RT.

My sons HS coach (who now coaches at Baylor) had my left handed son at QB a few years back and they were dominant left run and pass. they averaged 43 PPG with him at Q the years before with most of same players 20 PPG the last 2 years without again at 23 PPG. Its hard to simulate a lefty dominant offense.

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze

Coaches tend to be pulled to their right side, the own bench, or the wide side of the field.  We try to have plays to our strong side and counter to the weak side to keep defenses from loading up on our strong side.  I also make a strong effort to run short side and left & right equally. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: