Notifications

Linemen not firing out  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

nwmocb
(@nwmocb)
Bronze
September 6, 2017 9:15 am  

What kind of drills do you guys have for first year linemen not firing out and catching the defender?

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 6, 2017 9:29 am  

What kind of blocking schemes are you using...guess it really doesn't matter...

But we do lots of board work...and starting out, we go by the numbers, meaning coach counts, 1 they take their opening step, 2, the gather step, 3 next step with a punch, etc. Then speed it up until it becomes a live full speed drill.

Be careful about them getting their shoulders over their toes, which you should see in the "by the numbers".

Some fun things is King of the boards or Sumo which will help with aggression.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
September 6, 2017 9:55 am  

Same ones I use for players who are not new.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
DKTurtle
(@dkturtle)
Bronze
September 6, 2017 10:27 am  

I put two kids side by side in a stance and a pylon 2 steps in front of each of them. I say the cadence and have them race to the pylons, they have to touch them with their hand. Making it a race gets them firing off quickly and having to touch the pylon keeps them low. Any further than 2 steps and the kids will get high before lowering themselves to touch the pylon. We usually only run this before we are allowed to put pads on though.

Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

ReplyQuote
DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
September 6, 2017 12:58 pm  

Sumo and "12 Perfect Blocks"

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
September 6, 2017 3:31 pm  

Sumo and "12 Perfect Blocks"

I was thinking Tennis ball drill

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
September 6, 2017 6:32 pm  

Tennis ball drill is great for enhancing their get off 3 yards, 5 yards, 7 yards.  However, those skills are lost once the season is over.  Nothing better than Old fashioned Chutes for getting them to stay low.  Clank the Helmet on the bar  FAIL.  The Trampoline looking chutes are just as good as they start off low and cant rise up because the are underneath it all the time.  Personally would love to do SUMO under one of those. 

King Of the Boards or Michael's Cone Drill will improve them as well.  Failing all else, grab some PVC Pipe and LIMBO.  Like anything else its small steps to improve over all. 

All that being said, if they are weak in their Core and Pelvic Girdle, they dont have the muscle strength to remain low, they either collapse or stand up. That's why considering a 2 pt stance is not a bad thing!   

jmho

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 6, 2017 7:48 pm  

What kind of drills do you guys have for first year linemen not firing out and catching the defender?

Fit and Drive

Fit and Fight

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
nwmocb
(@nwmocb)
Bronze
September 7, 2017 11:40 am  

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I use the chute and the sled but when they get in front of someone they catch instead of firing out.  What are the 12 perfect blocks and sumo?

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
September 7, 2017 3:30 pm  

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I use the chute and the sled but when they get in front of someone they catch instead of firing out.  What are the 12 perfect blocks and sumo?

I attached a linemen blocking progression that has that inside along with a bunch of other stuff. Its a breakdown of what you may need.
Its a few posts up

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
September 8, 2017 5:22 am  

3 things Get Off, Engage, SUSTAIN! 

Sometimes the best block amounts to just getting in the defenders way.  Thats why King of the Boards and Michael's Drill are effective.  It forces them to sustain their blocks.  Get off and Engage are great but meaningless if they dont stay on their block. 

jmho 8)

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
mpwcoachsmith
(@mpwcoachsmith)
Bronze
September 8, 2017 5:36 am  

You are probably not yelling "fire out" loud enough.  ;D

Sorry, i have heard so many coaches screaming "fire out" during games....

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
September 8, 2017 5:50 am  

Practice on bags ya get good at hitting bags... practice hitting people you may be good at hitting people.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 8, 2017 8:16 am  

2 step fit and freeze drill

I'm with Zach. I don't want my guys hitting bags because I think the fit is extremely important and rarely done properly. At one point, I bought shoulder pads from Goodwill and was going to tape them to a bag so we could work on fits. Then I realized I had a bunch of "bags" running around in practice every day.

Think of this as a 2 step bird dog drill. We use hands blocking so we emphasize that, but it will work for shoulder, flipper, whatever.

O-lineman vs a "dummy". O lineman takes his first two steps and freezes on the fit.

Emphasis is on tempo/rhythm. Get that second step down as fast as humanly possible. Stomp the heels into the grass, all cleats down. You can even go as far as telling them to flex their toes up toward their heels.  What you will find (and so will they) is that the hands/arms must work in concert with the feet/legs. Neither will move fast if the other is moving slow.

Repeat the drill until you get the right "sound". "THUD-THUDPOP!" You'll know it when you hear it.

Once you get that, let them finish the block. It's up to you and your preference, but I like to progress like this:
Fit-Freeze
Fit-Freeze - GO! (tells them to start stomping heels on GO! until the whistle)
Then turn them loose and let them complete a full block until the whistle.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
September 8, 2017 10:43 am  

Practice on bags ya get good at hitting bags... practice hitting people you may be good at hitting people.

Same issue we were dealing with using shields. We've been doing more live stuff since. Michael's board drills, slow oklahoma, etc.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: