Notifications

Materials on how to install the wedge  

Page 1 / 4
  RSS

Lazarus
(@lazarus)
Bronze
September 14, 2017 7:45 am  

Long story short:  Having brought up the idea, I'm now being asked to head up the install of the wedge in my 12 year old sons football team.  I've seen it said in multiple threads to look up "Dave's material" but I'm not sure exactly what that is and where to get it.  Could someone please point me in the right direction, or give me specifics on how to help the boys form up on the line?  I've seen some good stuff here, but I've got only a little time to learn this well enough to try to teach it.  Please direct me to a place that will give me enough detail to understand this in a meaningful way?

bignose
(@bignose)
Silver
September 14, 2017 9:02 am  

Try YouTube: Clips from Calande 2006 clinic.

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

ReplyQuote
Lazarus
(@lazarus)
Bronze
September 14, 2017 9:21 am  

I'll get on that.  Thank you very much.  🙂

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver
September 14, 2017 11:35 am  

i used that three minute clip, and A LOT of repetition to install it my first year using wedge. 

you must practice it almost every practice, even after you get it down.

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 19, 2017 7:51 pm  

Through four games, our Fullbacks have 9 touchdowns.  Just wedge, baby.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 20, 2017 4:15 am  

One pointer that I would like to express is that the apex player might try and fight against the wedge. I have seen a few try it. I don't know why but they did. Once it gets going they damn near have to run to not get bowled over.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum
September 20, 2017 5:24 am  

Through four games, our Fullbacks have 9 touchdowns.  Just wedge, baby.

--Dave

CoachDP's approach to wedge is the best I've seen.  Calande's didn't work out too well for us.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
September 20, 2017 5:26 am  

CoachDP's approach to wedge is the best I've seen.  Calande's didn't work out too well for us.

So, what is his approach now that you teased us with it???

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 20, 2017 8:45 am  

Probably shoulder to butt. I couldn't get that to work either though I think if you can it would be even more effective. I know Coach Melton (GREAT PW dw coach) who runs Steve's dw always has awesome wedge teams.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 20, 2017 8:51 am  

Probably shoulder to butt.

--No, that's not us.  And I'm not going to break it down on here, because it's too wordy and some things need a phone call to be able to make sure you're understanding it as you go.  I don't have a PowerPoint of it, either.  I have given several clinics on it, but while lazy coaches appreciate the info, they never apply it.  We worked on it yesterday, with just our o-line for 40 minutes and it's still our best play.  Can be very difficult to run well, if you don't have all the bullet points.  There's a lot of working pieces.  But we've run it comfortably well since 2006 and that includes youth, middle school and high school.

I know Coach Melton (GREAT PW dw coach) who runs Steve's dw always has awesome wedge teams.

--His Wedge was always a thing of beauty.  I have more video of his Double Wing than anyone's and it was always a thrill to watch. 

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold
Head Coach
September 20, 2017 12:24 pm  

I've added wedge to our Hybrid Wing as part of our Buck Series instead of trap and the pay off is it's a yard gainer that is just not just a short yardage play. I subscribe to the Wyatt way of doing thing's even thou i'm not a Double Winger . I feel the wedge is the ultimate team play and is worth the investment if your serious about it......

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum
September 20, 2017 1:36 pm  

See above ^^^

His method, just saying it’s awesome and has improved our wedge even if it isn’t as solid as CoachDP’s

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 20, 2017 4:49 pm  

Our Fullbacks' 9 touchdowns on Wedge, through 4 games:

7 yds.
23 yds.
53 yds.
1 yd.
4 yds.
14 yds.
13 yds.
43 yds.
1 yd.

That's an average of 17.6 yards per carry for the 9 TDs. 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
September 20, 2017 5:12 pm  

I have always said the wedge is either a 3 or 60 yard play.

Like my signature will always say. 2 things my O will always have is a wing and a wedge

I wedge on 4th and 14 and picked up the first. Who knew... well besides the dum coach that called it *eh hem*  :-X

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
September 20, 2017 5:14 pm  

Oh and if you do call DP and he gives you the "shadow bird stuff" it works

Don't dabble in it just do it as designed it works

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4