Notifications
Clear all

New For 2015

Page 1 / 4

DumCoach
(@dumcoach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Coach MH and I have talked twice on the phone about adding his knowledge to this site.  MH is a former youth coach turned HS coach.  If I understand him correctly, he got the spot two years ago with a HS that never had a winning season and went undefeated both regular seasons since.

MH did not get my attention for his winning record.  Lots of HS coaches have winning records that could not coach a down of youth ball.  He got my attention for when I was debating "big line" splits with Michael.  Not only could I see it mentally but he proved it with 1,000 yard rushers.

So he wet my appetite.

But the kicker to me was that he was doing it from "Gun".  This is important because many youth coaches want to coach what they see on TV or on Friday nights and everything today is GUN. 

GUN can be, but is normally not, youth friendly.  GUN requires a lot of center snaps, Zone blocking, and a quick pass release by the QB.  Add big splits to this and you have a recipe for potential disaster if there's even ONE THING you can't coach.

And MH has been dealing with this problem for a LONG TIME. 

This is important because someone like me has been beating GUN for a long time.  90% of the time, GUN comes down to throwing FOUR VERTICALS.  It's how you kill Cover ONE or COVER THREE.  For MOST Gun coaches, failure to beat Cover ONE or Cover THREE is exactly that - FAILURE.  Chalk yourself up in the Loser's column.  It's why we don't have a GUN coach aboard.  My view on adding new coaches to this site is very limited.  They have to be able to beat me.

Otherwise, why add them?

Now I'm not bragging on me.  I have seen some pretty clever stuff from GUN.  If I hadn't see what they did, they might of beat me.  But they ALL relied upon me rushing two outside DE's.  They wanted to run under him, screen over him, or throw before he gets there (big line splits move DE's out.).  That's it! 

To me, that's an empty hand.  They may go undefeated in their league but only because I'm not in it.  Again, I'm not talking about ME as a coach.  I'm talking about THEM. 

They had good ideas.  They just didn't have good opponents.

So I'm on the phone with MH and he only mentions DE's ONCE (on the fake bootleg) so he's already ten steps ahead of me.  He's not going to let me kick his A$$ by not rushing my DE's and using them to cover screen first and QB second.  He never mentions SCREEN to back once. 

Now he's twice beat my A$$.

So I want to know how many times he's going to throw FOUR VERTICALS in a youth game.  I even led the question by asking TWICE per half.

And he answered "ONCE per game."

And I'm like, OMG!  This guy knows youth football!   

And it gets even better.  I asked if he uses YARDS when coaching positions.  This is a very important because coaches that use YARDS versus STEPS are simply CLUELESS about youth football.  Nobody coaches YARDS that WINS.  They coach STEPS.  It doesn't matter whether it's receivers or backs.  You coach STEPS.

MH coaches steps.

So I'm like, "Holy crappola!  Who is this guy?"

AND HE GETS BETTER.

Now I asked him about the Inside Zone play (I never asked Outside Zone because I don't consider that a youth play.).  Now, defensively, I can beat Inside Zone like a drum.  And he tells me his RB is reading my Mike.  And I'm like, WTF? 

Because I want his backs reading his linemen's butts and monuments and not my Mike.  Go ahead and beat my DT but not my Mike.  He's going to make the play after my DT gives the wrong read. 

But he was reading my Mike to make him wrong. And the reasoning is simple.  Which player do you have to beat to score?  My MPP DT or my stud Mike?  So he made my Mike wrong and now it was up to my MPP DT to stop the play on his STUD back.  Do I really want that? 

I mean this guy knows his shittola!

We get into the passing game - Simple slants, screens, screens, and PA.  His completion standards in practice were actually higher than mine (9 of 10 for him versus 6 of 8 for me versus no defense.). 

Now he also does what I would from his line splits - Force the defense to GAP.  And then he coaches this quick pass release against the gapped defenders which he can put on DVD for us VISUAL learners.

Now I already named MH as my choice of Coach of the Year for 2014 without even talking to him on the phone.  In the two calls we had, he never gave me a wrong answer once. And that's all I was calling for.  Give me a WRONG answer. 

But it looks like this site and he are going to match up for 2015.  It has taken me THIRTEEN YEARS to find a GUN coach but I think I not only found him but we found each other.

I think it's going to be great

No exact dates are set.  I set some parameters for him to meet (It ain't enough to be a genius here.  You have to make others look like geniuses.).  I'm sure he'll meet them, exact date unknown but not too far down the pike.

His player requirements are the same as mine.  Players that can block and tackle and backs that don't dance.  Age group is 10 and up.

One small step for this site.  One giant leap for mankind.

"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

I can't express how excited I am about this idea. I've been bugging Clark on here for years as well drinking coffee in Joe's (MHcoach's) kitchen and drawing plays on his porch windows (with dry erase of course) ever since he moved into my neck of the woods. There is no way in hell I would be the coach I am today without both of your help. Thank you both and I look forward to seeing what the final product looks like.

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Well all I can add is, "it's about time."  Joe's contribution here has already been invaluable so this is all a bonus.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

What exactly is Joe going to be doing? I have had had the pleasure of spending time with him at a Glazier and he invited me to his home as well. Great guy who flat out blew me away with the way he simplifies football(and his knowledge of the game as well, which far exceeds my own) which is what our staff always strives to do.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I ate at IHOP with the dude.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

He makes a mean Nona Pizza too.

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

He never mentions SCREEN to back once.

I called Joe about screen once and the conversations went something like this:

Matt: Hey Joe, my OC wants to install middle screen tonight. What are the coaching points?

Joe: Ok Matt, first thing you do is take the biggest, toughest kid you got and have him go over and beat the OC senseless. That should solve the problem.

😀

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

I called Joe about screen once and the conversations went something like this:

Matt: Hey Joe, my OC wants to install middle screen tonight. What are the coaching points?

Joe: Ok Matt, first thing you do is take the biggest, toughest kid you got and have him go over and beat the OC senseless. That should solve the problem.

😀

I shouldn't have read that while at work.  ;D

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Joe and I actually talked about that particular experience. You're an odd cat.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Joe and I actually talked about that particular experience. You're an odd cat.

My adventure was ordering, since it was not my regular IHOP.

Joe's adventure was finding the place.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Every time you and IHOP come I just can't stop from thinking about the Jack Nickolson movie, As Good as it Gets. You should link some tidbits from the movie for all to see.

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

I was driving that day. My adventure was getting Michael's directions over the phone filtered through Joe. For two guys who love to make things simple, it took a while.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I was driving that day. My adventure was getting Michael's directions over the phone filtered through Joe. For two guys who love to make things simple, it took a while.

Getting my order the way I wanted it and holding a table while waiting for Matt and Joe definitely added to the tip.  I sat down when they were supposedly a few minutes away.  As it turned out, they were not.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

So what is Joe going to be doing?

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

I had Joe in Chicago for my clinic.  He was great.  My daughter was in hospital so I didn't get to spend time I wanted with him. 

Next time I coach I will be running joes stuff.  Ran a scaled down version this year of his running game after midsession and it worked great.  Made me a believer.  Turned our offense around after we were having all kinds of personnel issues trying to run a more difficult (execution wise) scheme that our kids simply couldn't do. 

Pissed he a going so public with it. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: