Notifications
Clear all

No huddle with words  

Page 1 / 2

coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Any of you guys use no huddle with words from the sideline?

What are your calls?

I was thinking about using a specific package that I have and maybe using states? or colors?

I only have 3 plays from this set so every state would be my power play EXCEPT, maybe Oregon would be reverse and Colorado would be sweep.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Coach Tut

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

What are your calls?

I was thinking about using a specific package that I have and maybe using states? or colors?

I only have 3 plays from this set so every state would be my power play EXCEPT, maybe Oregon would be reverse and Colorado would be sweep.

My thought is that discussing this is about as useful as those threads people have on the social networking sites about what their favorite flavor of whatever is.  Just choose words they can easily distinguish from each other even if it's windy or noisy, and bury the key word in a sentence or sequence of meaningless ones.

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze
Topic starter  

My thought is that discussing this is about as useful as those threads people have on the social networking sites about what their favorite flavor of whatever is.  Just choose words they can easily distinguish from each other even if it's windy or noisy, and bury the key word in a sentence or sequence of meaningless ones.

I think the same thing about the side saddle snap 😉

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum

This is what we do color-city/state-city/state. Color is direction. First word is live. Second word dead. It is a little more complex than that bit that is pretty much it. So blue Chicago Tennessee would be counter left. I would just yell it in as soon as the play was over. Never had an issue with teams picking it up.

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze
Topic starter  

This is what we do color-city/state-city/state. Color is direction. First word is live. Second word dead. It is a little more complex than that bit that is pretty much it. So blue Chicago Tennessee would be counter left. I would just yell it in as soon as the play was over. Never had an issue with teams picking it up.

Good stuff coach!

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

What are your calls?

T

We are running a 100% no huddle check with me system with third graders.

QB repeats everything I say in stages to the team….as I build the play call.

Works very well. Its not hurry up but rather reading the defense while play calling. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
2ez
 2ez
(@2ez)
Bronze

My no huddle is a little more basic.....
-Attack is all go pass.
-22 Rocket = Dive Read Right
-22 Laser = Dive Read Left
- 33 Rocket = Rocket Toss Right
- 44 Laser = Rocket Toss Left

Since we don't use it as a base they don't pick up on it.  Because it's no huddle the Coaches don't have a chance to adjust to it.....very basic as my backs are numbered 2, 3, 4....

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

no interjection intended, I just wanted to state that wrist coaches are really the way to go.  $5 each for say 15 kids to include subs and you just got rid of a major headache.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

no interjection intended, I just wanted to state that wrist coaches are really the way to go.  $5 each for say 15 kids to include subs and you just got rid of a major headache.

K

Tried that before…drove me nuts with all the re-printing and re-laminating and re-loading every Friday night as I added in new things or subtracted stuff. Then inking over a mistake at the game that I missed because I was tired from all the re-printing and re-laminating and re-loading every Friday night as I added in new things or subtracted stuff.

Decided if I ever thought of doing that again I’d simply stick a needle in my eye. It would be less painful.  😛

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

K

Tried that before…drove me nuts with all the re-printing and re-laminating and re-loading every Friday night as I added in new things or subtracted stuff. Then inking over a mistake at the game that I missed because I was tired from all the re-printing and re-laminating and re-loading every Friday night as I added in new things or subtracted stuff.

Decided if I ever thought of doing that again I’d simply stick a needle in my eye. It would be less painful.  😛

Lol.  I only use wrist coaches for my QB's and feel your pain with changing them up all the time.  We huddle unless we call one special word, which means to run our bread and better off-tackle play.  If a team figures it out and stops us on that play we could just change the play run off the special word, but so far this year no one has been able to stop it.  They are so confused by us going no huddle (I suspect this is because we don't always do it more than anything else) that the play gains us 10-20 yards every play....if not a TD.  We run it about 5 or 6 times a game.

ReplyQuote
CW
 CW
(@_cw_)
Copper

Where do you get the wrist coach for $5? I can only find them for $20!

CW

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum

Some love wrist coaches. I'm not one of those guys. Some of the reasons have already been stated. Some other reasons I don't like them.

Kids misreading them.
Kids can't read.
Me having to find the play on the call sheet.
Slower.
Infection risk if they aren't washed on a regular basis.
Replacement cost
Weather issues such as rain and mud.

I went comeetly verbal this past year and love it. Much faster. Very clear to the players.  If done correctly its tough to break code wise. Easy to add and adjust. Now there are some problems don't get me wrong but I very much prefer it

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Where do you get the wrist coach for $5? I can only find them for $20!

CW

I broke down and bought 12 of them for $54.99 on ebay.  I have 12 of them already and have 22 players so I'm covered.

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
Coach D
(@coach-d)
Bronze

I'm a wrist coach guy...  Only for the QBs though.  The rest know the play from the number call.  I actually like making the sheets on friday night or saturday morning over coffee.  I know crazy - but it keeps my game plan for each week fresh. 

We do a no huddle 2x2 spread.  The QB will call out Red (for right) and a number "39".  That is telling my right receivers to run a 3 and a 9 rout and my left receivers know that they run the backside patterns (Usually a 4 or inside slant and an 8 or skinny post to draw the safety).  If QB calls blue it is telling my left receivers the pattern numbers and the right WRs have backside patterns.  We use a couple state calls for a dive and a sweep as well.  Really simple and was easy to install as long as you have a passing tree.

I think verbal is the slower way but maybe I am just used to the wrist coach.  Verbal means that I have to say the play at least once, and the QB has to say it a couple times.  In the heat of the moment I have to admit I can get tongue tied with what I want to say.  It is easier to have the QB come half way over and to flash him a number and a sign (like to flip the play) if necessary.  I weather proof everything (you have to here in Oregon) so that hasn't been a problem.

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum

We don't huddle at all. As soon as the play is blown dead we go trips to the field unless I say other wise. Back moves according to the call. By the time the back is up off the ground and moving the play is in and we are ready to go. I'm yelling the next play in most times while the whistle is blowing and we can almost snap the ball on the chop. I just can't do that with wrist coaches. Our dead words also work as tags at times as far as play fakes and such. A hand signal lets my qb know if its a read or a qb play. We can move very fast if we need to.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: