32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
August 1, 2020 7:07 am  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

If I have questionable talent at the RB position, I personally wouldn't run the I. 

I think I would need to have a good play action passing QB and no glaring holes on the O-line also.  But if you have all that, you can be successful with any offense.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 1, 2020 1:32 pm  
Posted by: @32wedge

I think I would need to have a good play action passing QB and no glaring holes on the O-line also.  But if you have all that, you can be successful with any offense.

Exactly.  With talent and good coaching, any offensive scheme works.  With no talent and bad coaching, no offensive scheme works.  But I think anything can be coached well, even with a dearth of talent.  Last year at MCHS, we had no RBs that will continue their playing career at the collegiate level.  This is how they fared:

RB Composite Varsity Level:
163 carries
761 yards
4.6 yards per carry
2 fumbles
58 yards (longest run)
12 TDs
29 receptions
266 yards
9.1 avg.
36 yds (longest)
1 fumble
0 TDs

Not exceptional, but certainly solid numbers for a team that put little emphasis on their RBs.

At the JV level:

RB Composite JV Level:
158 carries
1142 yards
7.2 avg.
4 fumbles
90 yds. (longest)
14 TD
1 rec.
14 yds.
14.0 avg.
14 yds. (longest)
0 TDs

Better rushing numbers, but more emphasis was put on them in the JV offense.  My analysis:  Greater emphasis and involvement yields greater results.  And despite the Varsity having more carries, they also played 1.5 more games than JV. (JV had a game cancelled in progress due to weather.)

We were a Tony Franklin-system Spread team, but I believe we'd been more successful with a run-based offense.  If nothing else, a ground-emphasis would have kept our defense off the field more.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 1, 2020 1:52 pm  

Here's the rushing totals from our 2013 CHS JV team.  NONE of these RBs went on to play college football.  None of them were athletic freaks.  They'd won 1 game in 2012.  We lead the league in scoring.

We just taught them what we wanted them to do.   Not only had "Back 1" never been a ball-carrier before, he didn't play anymore football after his Jr. year.

Back 1
715 yards
74 carries
9.6 yards per carry
11 TDs

Back 2
650 yards
117 carries
5.5 yards per carry
7 TDs

Back 3
612 yards
70 carries
8.7 yards per carry
9 TDs

Back 4
316 yards
49 carries
6.4 yards
per carry
1 TD

Back 5
237 yards
53 carries
4.4 yards per carry
1 TD

Back 6
215 yards
53 carries
4.0 yards per carry
0 TDs

Back 7
100 yards
12 carries
8.3 yards per carry
2 TDs

Back 8
85 yards
18 carries
4.7 yards per carry
0 TDs

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
August 2, 2020 8:30 pm  
Posted by: @rrsontag

So practice starts Monday, and we’ve lost our QB, FB, RB1, and RB2 from last year. WB moved, FB moved, RB1 went full time basketball, and RB2 went to a different team. Needless to say we have some holes to fill. In the past we’ve ran I/power-I and built everything around running power (really suited our RB1). The good news is we have our entire starting line, and they are solid. Guards are experienced pullers. The bad news is no one on our team has any meaningful carries. Heading into the 6th grade we have 20 kids 9 are new to the team and if those 6 have never played before. 

Anyway looking for input on what you guys would consider running. Really just brainstorming. I’m sure some of the new kids will be decent athletes, but from what I’ve seen none have great speed. 

Thanks,

Ronnie

Coach, the past six seasons or so I have gone to more of a platoon mentality.   In doing this, I load up the defense with athletes and take the leftovers on offense.  But I do not put any terrible players on the O line.  They need to be mediocre at worst.  While I like using a spread/Air Raid offense, it doesn't suit a slow footed offense too well. 

My answer has been to go UC with two and sometimes three tightends.  Mostly wide zone in the run game with some tight zone and counter.  The bootleg passing game marries well with zone blocking.  The RB doesn't have to be a great athlete.   Just coachable and physical.  The slow footed skill guys can still get open on bootlegs.  Very easy reads for the qb as well.

As a teenager, I remember watching the Giants beat the Bills in the superbowl with a pretty slow footed offense.  That offense was my inspiration for believing I could play inferior talent on offense and still move the ball and score points.  Check out that Superbowl on YouTube,  it'll give u some hope.😉

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: