Notifications
Clear all

Offensive Project

Page 1 / 2

CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

I'm about to finish my 7th season as Youth coach and will be sending my team off to MS for next season.  I've coached 7 years of youth, and spent two years helping with MS and HS (learned from a bad and then a good HS coach), been to 5 Glazier clinics and two HS state Coach's clinics.  Most importantly I've been a reader on this site for about 5 years!

I've ran alot of offenses over the years, most i got from this site.
Cisar's UBSW
A version of Mahonz's Mega-Splits power I
JJ's DTDW
Beast (every year as a 2nd O)
Joe's Modern Spread
My HS coach's "Multiple Spread"
Clark's R&S
A little of Murphy's UBGW
Also have a collection of about 50 offensive playbooks, some free, some ranging from $20-$50.

And as you can tell by the quantity, I've never found something that I absolutely loved...While I'm a master of none, I've read on most every system offense out there.  None are the perfect fit, that keeps me from looking for something better every few weeks.

So enough history, now for the project....

Next season I will be dropping down and picking up a new team of 3rd graders that I'll get to coach for the next 4 years.  They are pretty talented group of kids, good parents.  All go to the same school. So I'd like to develop an offense of my own that I can build, mold, and develop for them.

I'd like to be mostly based on Gap scheme blocking, but feature at least 1 WR, 1 roaming WR/WB/RB, and a Power Running QB.  I want to keep it simple, 5-6 blocking schemes, perhaps 12-14 plays with formation and motion tags that make it appear much more.  Would plan for both G's to be capable of pulling, although I'd only pull one at a time for the most part.

So maybe envision a cross between the DCWT and Joe's Spread.

Looking for thoughts, specifically on how to build the power (off-tackle) play that the rest of it will be built around.  Thanks in advance.

PS - Answers to a few initial questions.

#1 - Some guys will focus more on the fact that I've ran 382 different offense over the past few years, and that's valid.  Definitely didn't help.  Although we did win 3 Champs and play in 2 more.  I still wasn't ever happy with the schemes.  I appreciate the site's "Coach Critics", but don't be upset if you get ignored.  There are way more good dudes on here ready and willing to help.

#2 - I'd like to base out of a gap scheme instead of a zone scheme, because of the inconsistent D alignments in my league and what I feel my OL coach will be able to teach and get executed the best.

#3 - I'll put everything together in a .pdf playbook this offseason and will be happy to share with everyone interested.  I've had dozens of people share their stuff with me over the years on here and appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance fellas!

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Ive been around this site for 10 yrs now, ish.  Ive tasted a lot of different schemes.  The journey to what i hold on to now is so much less of scheme, rather ability. Player investment. 

A good scheme is needed, players make it great. 

Whatever lines on the chalkboard you draw, use k.i.l.l (keep it likeable learnable) and youll be fine.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

My base formation i think would be similar to that of the Pistol DCWT.

Balanced OL
SE on left not too far
TE in Nasty split on Right
HB is a formation adjuster
Z-Back is Split on Right but also a formation adjuster and primary motioner
TB is either behind or beside the QB in 3-4 yard gun.

SE.....................T...G..C..G...T......TE
.................................................................ZB
.........................HB....QB
.................................TB

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

Ive been around this site for 10 yrs now, ish.  Ive tasted a lot of different schemes.  The journey to what i hold on to now is so much less of scheme, rather ability. Player investment. 

A good scheme is needed, players make it great. 

Whatever lines on the chalkboard you draw, use k.i.l.l (keep it likeable learnable) and youll be fine.

Agree 100%.  Journey is a great term for my situation.  I've done alot of exploring.  Ready to settle in and build something sustainable for me to own.  Thanks!

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
Monster
(@monster)
Gold

Kent,

That looks an awful lot like a DCWT. I'm guessing you are going to try and "run where they ain't", is that correct?

Regardless, best of luck to ya!

Mission Statement: To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

And as you can tell by the quantity, I've never found something that I absolutely loved...While I'm a master of none, I've read on most every system offense out there.  None are the perfect fit, that keeps me from looking for something better every few weeks.

Coach Sugg, I'll offer that maybe the reason you've never found something you loved was that you didn't stick with it long enough.  It can take years to really know and become proficient at exploiting all the tools of a particular offense.  As a DWer, it took me several seasons to "enjoy" the offense, because I didn't understand all the versatility I had with it.  For the first few years, the Double Wing was merely an appliance.  I liked the success we had with it, but couldn't have cared less that we achieved that success with the Double Wing.  I didn't understand the passion that Calande and Wyatt, etc. had for the DW.  But I reckoned that they felt that way because they knew far more about the offense than I did.  (Which was, and still is true.)  However, I am miles ahead of where I was only 3-4 years ago with it and I'm still discovering new things about install and execution.  This keeps it fresh and interesting for me as I get excited about each new discovery.  So take it for what it's worth.  Jack Gregory once said it took several years to get proficient at the Double Wing.  I agree with him and having also coached the Spread, I think you could apply Jack's statement to several offenses.  Regardless, good luck with the endeavor.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

That looks an awful lot like a DCWT. I'm guessing you are going to try and "run where they ain't", is that correct?

That's generally the plan.  I've read over the DCWT a ton, i do like a whole bunch of what they do.  In my league defensive alignments tend to vary from snap to snap due to typically poor coaching.  Only about 2-3 opponents a year run legitimate balanced defenses that correctly align and adjust to Off formations.  Which is an advantage for me, but it also makes it a little more difficult to anticipate their alignments pre-play call.

Nice little bonus, in Year 1, I'll be able to be on the field with the 3rd grade while calling plays.  So I'll have a very very good view of D alignments.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Only about 2-3 opponents a year run legitimate balanced defenses that correctly align and adjust to Off formations.  Which is an advantage for me, but it also makes it a little more difficult to anticipate their alignments pre-play call.

^ This, yes exactly.  So when you see that very few opponents run a "legitimate" defense who "correctly align and adjust," I believe it can be pointless to design an offense that takes that unsoundness into account.  Especially at the younger areas of youth ball where any fundamentally-sound scheme will be successful.  We didn't choose the DW as a youth offense.  I chose it as a vehicle because I felt like I had to choose something.  lol  We are successful with it at the youth level because we are fundamentally-sound, know our assigments, are physical, etc.  But how does one design (invent?) an offense for youth ball when so many youth defenses are unsound?

I'm not saying that you can't, or shouldn't do this.  My wariness comes from dealing with the majority of youth coaches who feel like they can do the same thing you are talking about doing, and then I end up facing them on Saturday wondering, "What the heck are they doing?"

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

^ This, yes exactly.  So when you see that very few opponents run a "legitimate" defense who "correctly align and adjust," I believe it can be pointless to design an offense that takes that unsoundness into account.  Especially at the younger areas of youth ball where any fundamentally-sound scheme will be successful.  We didn't choose the DW as a youth offense.  I chose it as a vehicle because I felt like I had to choose something.  lol  We are successful with it at the youth level because we are fundamentally-sound, know our assigments, are physical, etc.  But how does one design (invent?) an offense for youth ball when so many youth defenses are unsound?

I'm not saying that you can't, or shouldn't do this.  My wariness comes from dealing with the majority of youth coaches who feel like they can do the same thing you are talking about doing, and then I end up facing them on Saturday wondering, "What the heck are they doing?"

--Dave

Very valid points Dave.  When we dabbled in the DTDW last season for about 4 weeks, i did so with a pretty flawed group of backs, specifically at QB.  My biggest "issue" with DTDW is trying to find a way to have a semblance of a successful passing game out of it.  Or more importantly, figuring out a way to keep myself from spending time on other things to create a passing game.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

The best offense in the world is the 1 you can teach. And that don't need to be co-signed, recommended, or even make sense the only people that need to know it and execute it is YOUR KID'S.

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

Have you looked at Coach Cox's power pistol?

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Have you looked at Coach Cox's power pistol?

That first offense I thought of when he described what he was looking for.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

Exactly

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I'm about to finish my 7th season as Youth coach and will be sending my team off to MS for next season.  I've coached 7 years of youth, and spent two years helping with MS and HS (learned from a bad and then a good HS coach), been to 5 Glazier clinics and two HS state Coach's clinics.  Most importantly I've been a reader on this site for about 5 years!

I've ran alot of offenses over the years, most i got from this site.
Cisar's UBSW
A version of Mahonz's Mega-Splits power I
JJ's DTDW
Beast (every year as a 2nd O)
Joe's Modern Spread
My HS coach's "Multiple Spread"
Clark's R&S
A little of Murphy's UBGW
Also have a collection of about 50 offensive playbooks, some free, some ranging from $20-$50.

So enough history, now for the project....

Next season I will be dropping down and picking up a new team of 3rd graders that I'll get to coach for the next 4 years.  They are pretty talented group of kids, good parents.  All go to the same school. So I'd like to develop an offense of my own that I can build, mold, and develop for them.

I'd like to be mostly based on Gap scheme blocking, but feature at least 1 WR, 1 roaming WR/WB/RB, and a Power Running QB.  I want to keep it simple, 5-6 blocking schemes, perhaps 12-14 plays with formation and motion tags that make it appear much more.  Would plan for both G's to be capable of pulling, although I'd only pull one at a time for the most part.

So maybe envision a cross between the DCWT and Joe's Spread.

Looking for thoughts, specifically on how to build the power (off-tackle) play that the rest of it will be built around.  Thanks in advance.

PS - Answers to a few initial questions.

#1 - Some guys will focus more on the fact that I've ran 382 different offense over the past few years, and that's valid.  Definitely didn't help.  Although we did win 3 Champs and play in 2 more.  I still wasn't ever happy with the schemes.  I appreciate the site's "Coach Critics", but don't be upset if you get ignored.  There are way more good dudes on here ready and willing to help.

#2 - I'd like to base out of a gap scheme instead of a zone scheme, because of the inconsistent D alignments in my league and what I feel my OL coach will be able to teach and get executed the best.

#3 - I'll put everything together in a .pdf playbook this offseason and will be happy to share with everyone interested.  I've had dozens of people share their stuff with me over the years on here and appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance fellas!

Stop running Beast as a second O. Make it your regular O in principle. As they get older and start sprinkling in some nuclear options even though you really only need one play. Go Mega splits....shifts....motions....SE's.  Dot in stuff you have picked up by running 382 different O's

Then you can spend more time on what is really important as they get older....the Defense.  8)

My take.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Topic starter  

I’ve looked at it on the site.  But don’t have his materials.  It definitely relates.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: