Offensive system he...

Notifications
Clear all

Offensive system help.

Page 3 / 4

Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Not just De La Salle.  It seems like every state has at least 1 or 2 teams running the SBV to the final 4 every year.  JT Curtis, Mt. Carmel, etc.  Watch the championship games in your state and you'll likely see that one of the teams is running it.

Fans still gripe, even as the teams collect rack up the hardware year after year.  A lot of them would rather go 3-7 running whatever's lighting things up on TV than go 14-0 running "that same up the middle play that don't work anymore" to a championship.

You understand though, it is not the split back veer, per se.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

Any recommendation for an offensive system for a team that has smaller O-line, below avg qb and avg RB speed? Pop Warner Jr. Varsity, 12- 13 yr olds. Asking for a friend... 8)

Thank you for any help.

Take a look at Clark's wing t.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Honestly, I cant get any help coaching it and I am struggling because my other coaches dont like it.

Oh, well, then the odds of finding coaches who like my system (which is a cross between single wing & jet-oriented wing T) are even longer.  But is it that they just don't like it, or that they actively dislike it?  Because it'd probably be easy to find some they don't dislike because they know nothing about them.

I do think my system makes defenses commit to stopping one player without great speed as if he were a threat with great speed.  Against poorly coached teams it might also tie up 2 CBs as he motions as a receiver pre-snap from one side to the other.

Also, the quarterback's a blocking back.  Depending on what you want to emphasize, he could be more of a QB type, but as long as he can block & do some ballhandling, that could be enough.  And he doesn't have to do a turn as in a double wing toss play.

ReplyQuote
Aodaddy
(@aodaddy)
Copper
Topic starter  

Thank you for all of the great replies to my question! You guys have been outstanding!

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

You understand though, it is not the split back veer, per se.

Of course not, but it's a great HS and youth offense.

A bad veer team is still a bad team.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Why in the world would the ACs have a say in what you run? If you are a power based team(most successful youth teams are because as my good buddy Joe says "power is the best play in football") then your offensive formation is meaningless. Potter pointed out that you can run the same power series from wishbone as you can dw. You can add to that list every single I variant you can think of(there are probably dozens), any sw variant, dw variant, wing t variant, etc. etc. They are all really the same darn thing! Just different formations. That is why we were able to jump back and forth from formation to formation so easily. People thought we had this crazy super complicated offense but we only ran about 6 plays(meaning blocking schemes). If you can coach the oline to block the basic power series plays well then it doesn't matter what formation you run them from, you will do well. Even with mediocre backfield talent. You might not win a ship but you will be competitive. DW football is boring when it isn't run well. When it is coached well it should move the ball rather effectively and pop a bunch of big plays. 3 yards a play my ass. Based on the sheer numbers, the power play should almost pop every single time you run it. We had more tds running power in our national years than any other play. Not even close. We also ran power from over a dozen formations. Heck with tags and all that added it, probably close to 3 dozen. Maybe more, I never counted them. You want to make it interesting? Vary the formations(Steve cringing right now, sorry). We ran power from dtdw, ubsw to shotgun trips. The thing that stayed the same was the oline. Concentrate on that and the formation doesn't matter.

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver

from what i understand, what you are talking about is the basis for success at the highest levels.

the patriots run less plays then nearly every NFL team-but they run them from a myriad of formations/position groups, so they present different looks/challenges to the opposition.  they have been successful.

back in the tommy frazier days, i remember tom osborne at nebraska saying something very similiar-they ran 10-12 different  plays basically, but they ran them from many different formations/looks.  they too were successful.

if you can win multiple superbowl titles and national championships with this theory, well, it has to be valid.

KiSS  (keep it simple stupid)

execution over complexity.

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

The complexity is there but in a different way. Formations and tags are easy installs. Blocking schemes are not.

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver

i agree.  i remember in HS, we had different blocking schemes every week vs every team-it was a bit of a disaster. 

schemes should stay(relatively) static. 

as you say, formations, motion, even backfield action are far easier to vary.

but i still maintain, much of it in the youth game isn't necessary.  work hard on stance, take off, and target point with your linemen.  make sure your backs are taking the proper steps to hit the hole hard and fast.  figure out where the opposition is weak and exploit that.  then take advantage of their in game adjustments.  get that stuff down, and you'll do well.

the thing is, coaching that stuff isn't exciting.  lots of guys get a charge out of some wacky formation they drew up on a napkin.  blocking fundamentals don't float their boat.

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold

It's WAYS NOT PLAY'S I CAN RUN SOMEONE OFF THE FIELD WITH 1 SERIES TRUST ME ! Done it. I've Head Coached about 100 games were 83 -19 about 60 of those wins we've put the opponents on the clock and most of the time it's been staying in 1 formation the whole game and running about 3 run plays and a P.A.P REAL TALK.

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

It's WAYS NOT PLAY'S I CAN RUN SOMEONE OFF THE FIELD WITH 1 SERIES TRUST ME ! Done it. I've Head Coached about 100 games were 83 -19 about 60 of those wins we've put the opponents on the clock and most of the time it's been staying in 1 formation the whole game and running about 3 run plays and a P.A.P REAL TALK.

We used to see if we could beat an opponent only running one play or three plays. Some of our opponents were that bad(and we were pretty darn good) that the staff would play games within the games. Nobody ever caught on except some of our players. We would just run power from a bunch of different looks.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

i agree.  i remember in HS, we had different blocking schemes every week vs every team-it was a bit of a disaster. 

schemes should stay(relatively) static. 

as you say, formations, motion, even backfield action are far easier to vary.

but i still maintain, much of it in the youth game isn't necessary.  work hard on stance, take off, and target point with your linemen.  make sure your backs are taking the proper steps to hit the hole hard and fast.  figure out where the opposition is weak and exploit that.  then take advantage of their in game adjustments.  get that stuff down, and you'll do well.

the thing is, coaching that stuff isn't exciting.  lots of guys get a charge out of some wacky formation they drew up on a napkin.  blocking fundamentals don't float their boat.

See, I kinda disagree with you there. Not in stressing fundies but in variations. We confused the heck out of defenses and always found things they lined up poorly against or would formation them to expose a mismatch. One of the things we started doing in 2010 was running some spread. We based out of power and a quick screen game. Try and defend the run in spread with a 5-3. It gets crushed. The numbers just aren't there and I can get an OT or G on the mlb. We made it look like zone read but ran it with a counter scheme(G kicks). Combo the dt to mlb. If the block is made on the mlb its off to the races. Run it with trips with jet motion and it gets really fun. But the blocking scheme was the same darn thing we ran from dw and sw for the most part.

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver

again, my way works, your way works. 

our commonality?  kids have repped exactly what we want on game day, and can successfully do what we are asking.  and there is no confusion.

likely your way is prettier.  and probably your working against better competition.  and don't get me wrong-we don't run wedge or Off Tackle exclusively, we have plays built off our primary.   

maybe a bit of it is personality.  i like the 'here we come again-not gonna stop running this till you stop us' mentality.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

And don't get me wrong. We have lined up in dtdw and ran power 7 plays in a row from straight dtdw. Sometimes that is all we need because it works or we were being filmed or whatever. When I called the offense it was closer to that. Most of the time (meaning almost always) Jeff called the game and he was a mad scientist who got bored easily with the same look.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Any recommendation for an offensive system for a team that has smaller O-line, below avg qb and avg RB speed? Pop Warner Jr. Varsity, 12- 13 yr olds. Asking for a friend... 8)

Thank you for any help.

You have Pistol selected as your offense.  You can run Single Wing from the Pistol formation.  Assistants and bystanders see Pistol but you are running Power, Sweep, Counter, Wedge and a couple PAPs off of that.  You can add in Traps and ISOs if you want.  Run Straight Series (with the Tailback in speed option pitch relation) and T Series (Half Spin Motion).  I can help get you started if you like that style of offense.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: