Notifications
Clear all

OLine or RB  

Page 1 / 2

Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold
Topic starter  

So I have a kid that is new to football.  We are 11u.  He weighs 133lbs.  He is almost 6' tall.  Probably 5'11" if I were to guess.  Our ball carrier limit is 130lbs.  I assumed he would not be able to carry the ball.  So, I trained him as an O-Lineman.  He utterly dominates on the line.  He manhandles the defense.  I'm loving having him there. 

We weighed in on Thursday and even though he was 133lbs, the guy said "his shoes probably weigh more than 3lbs, so he is good." and gave him a sticker that says he is eligible to carry the ball.  The kid is a power RB that has good top speed.  I think he will pummel opponents if I put him at RB/TB in our offense.  However, doing so would take away from our dominating OLine.  I do have a couple kids that can take his place on OLine, but not near as good as him.  I have a RB/TB that is quick and will try to go fwd when he hits the defense and he won't go backwards and he has some moves to cut thru traffic.  However, if I put the big guy at RB/TB, he will almost always go forward and will likely break tackles all day long.  He does not have any moves... just bulldozing. 

So, my conundrum is... use him to strengthen the line or use him to carry the ball?

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Put players where they best suit your team. Only you can answer that. If his backup on the oline is good then move him. Will he be weighed every week? He may gain weight during the season so there is that. I'm an oline guy so I would hate to lose him their but if he is that dominate as a rb it's hard to say he shouldn't carry the ball. It really is about his backup as it sounds like you already have a decent rb.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

If you've got decent backup OL who are servicable and he's better than any RB you've got, I'd put him where he can do something with the ball.

Could you play him at FB and the other RB at TB in a 2 back set?  That way you could take advantage of both with some misdirection and use this stud to lead block for the other one, too.  I'd take a long look at this, personally, depending on how it would fit with what you've taught the kids to do.

Can you play him at TE and put in a bootleg with a drag for him?  That might be a way to split the difference if he somehow becomes ineligible to play in the backfield.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Can you run the ball without him on the line? Do you run the ball better with him as a runner or a blocker? How often would you run behind him?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Every situation is different, but we faced a similar situation. The best athlete on our team was too heavy to run the ball for the last few seasons. This Spring (too heavy to be a TE per Spring rules), he was absolutely dominant at OT for us. Our offense was a machine and he was a big part of that.

This Fall, we knew we'd have some depth issues at o-line, so I planned on keeping him there. Mahonz thought I'd lost my freaking mind. So reluctantly, I handed him over to the OC who put him at QB. Our offense is NEXT LEVEL with him at QB. Prior to some recent changes, he was playing Z back, running a few jet sweeps and took some carries in Beast.

For us, it was the right move. If I were a DC, I don't know how I would defend us. Just when you think you have everything covered, #15 on a draw. He's as big and fast as my 18 year old son, who was an All State hockey player.

However, with our splits, philosophy and play design, we are VERY unconventional. We don't move bodies. We ask them to get in the way and stay in the way as long as they can. So we can afford to put a smaller, less strong kid on the o-line and expect him to succeed.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Tough one. I mean, if he enjoys O-line & really gets after it, I'd have a hard time moving him off the line. What you're describing is a pretty rare asset to have.

Our last championship team O-Line: LT (now a QB/RB in HS) LG (FB in HS) C (QB in HS) RG (FB/MLB in HS) RT (WR/DE in HS)

Championship team before that: LT (Varsity QB) LG (Leading rusher in the county) C (My son, PG on basketball team, school doesn't have football) RG (All county MLB) RT (Varsity DE/TE)

That's the last 2 years i've coached. Meanwhile many of our RB's have had fairly modest success.

If the kid really wants to be a RB, play him there. If he enjoys playing O-line i'd consider player him there. You can also do both. If he's a smart kid, just have him play both, build packages around his skill set.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

If he's an o-lineman, he can only block.  If he's a RB, he can block and carry the ball.  I'd choose the latter.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

If he's an o-lineman, he can only block.  If he's a RB, he can block and carry the ball.  I'd choose the latter.

--Dave

That is a very good point.

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold
Topic starter  

Put players where they best suit your team. Only you can answer that. If his backup on the oline is good then move him. Will he be weighed every week? He may gain weight during the season so there is that. I'm an oline guy so I would hate to lose him their but if he is that dominate as a rb it's hard to say he shouldn't carry the ball. It really is about his backup as it sounds like you already have a decent rb.

We only weigh once in this league.  I'm an OLine guy, too.  We have good backups for OLine.  But he is just so dominant. 

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold
Topic starter  

If you've got decent backup OL who are servicable and he's better than any RB you've got, I'd put him where he can do something with the ball.

Could you play him at FB and the other RB at TB in a 2 back set?  That way you could take advantage of both with some misdirection and use this stud to lead block for the other one, too.  I'd take a long look at this, personally, depending on how it would fit with what you've taught the kids to do.

Can you play him at TE and put in a bootleg with a drag for him?  That might be a way to split the difference if he somehow becomes ineligible to play in the backfield.

We only run a single back set.  Honestly, with the players I have, we would be a crazy good I-Formation team or Wishbone team.  But we opted with Spread.  Though, I'm considering putting in a second look offense now that we have our offense fully installed. 

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

6 foot tall at 11...wow, tall kid. My team is 10 and the biggest I have is 5'4".

I do have a 5'2" 130 pound H...and I have been trying to figure out how to get him in the backfield since I got him. He moves well and is a load with the ball in his hands. Last year in the DW he was a TE and we got him the ball a few times from there.

This year we spread it out, and he is killing it at H, an absolute coming out on a lead block, and when he is in the slot, that slot defender has not chance, plus we can put the ball in his hands...he isn't going to run away from anyone, but he will have folks bounce off of him.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

We only run a single back set.  Honestly, with the players I have, we would be a crazy good I-Formation team or Wishbone team.  But we opted with Spread.  Though, I'm considering putting in a second look offense now that we have our offense fully installed.

We are spread too...and we love our two back set, our read play turns into a power read with the H in the backfield, counter is nasty with him cutting the back side DE, and we have a trap play for him too. We also have a tag where H and F swap alignments, so we can get the ball in his hands that was as well.

And when he is in the slot, he is so much taller than the DB's he is aligned against, easy to get him the ball in space.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver

Talk with MH.  I'm sure he has ways to incorporate 2 backs in to his system, without changing much.  Your other TB can be your Z and this guy can be your Z.

Or if nothing else put the stud at H:  flex him all over the place, throw him the ball and hand it off to him.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

If he's an o-lineman, he can only block.

Unless it's my offense.  ;D

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold
Topic starter  

Talk with MH.  I'm sure he has ways to incorporate 2 backs in to his system, without changing much.  Your other TB can be your Z and this guy can be your Z.

Or if nothing else put the stud at H:  flex him all over the place, throw him the ball and hand it off to him.

Putting him at H is a consideration... but my H and Z are the two fastest kids in the league.  I'm also not sure how well this kid can handle the ball.  Will be evaluating him for that on Thursday.  We only have one practice between last night's game and our next.  But we have 4 practices between that one and the next.  Plenty of time to install a new package.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: